Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Still no fix for Calendar bugs.

Clicking on an event still sometimes opens on a black screen with the date January 1st showing ????

Clicking on an event sometimes opens on a totally different event ????

Deleting an event is risky since it sometimes opens a different event and if your not paying attention you will delete the wrong event ????

Also. When scrolling through all your events it sometimes leaves a blank screen space, you then need to scroll up/down again to get rid of the blank space between dates ????

Wish they also made the dates a different color to your daily entries, also larger font compared to your event/entry.

Reactions: Powerbooky

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
My 7-year old iPhone 5s receives yet another iOS update. I'd been installing the last few iOS updates using the full installation files via iTunes because I keep thinking that THIS will at last be the final EOL update for that phone. Yet, Apple keeps issuing updates. Impressive, but I shouldn't be too surprised given that the iPhone 5s and 6 remain among the biggest selling iOS devices ever and millions of them are still in use.

The iOS 12.5 update adds the COVID notification as well as additional security patches. I would have skipped this update because that 5s is no longer my daily driver and the COVID notifications alone aren't particularly useful in a phone that doesn't go out in public anymore. But, I will take the phone out of mothballs to install security updates and any app updates that have accumulated in the meantime. Amazing how well supported it still is (also miss the "just right" size of that phone).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Indeed... mail is still buggy too: not showing any messages or blanc boxes for 30 seconds from the start. Touching a message sometimes opens a different message.

As @telefono confirmed: Calendar is a mess. Not a clear and uncluttered view and like mail, touch one event and iOS opens a different one. After selecting the right date, adding a new event still gets the wrong date. I always have to correct it, because it selects one or two days before or after. Very annoying.

The touch screen still randomly becomes unresponsive. Still have to lock & unlock the iPhone to temporarily fix this.

Also, the iPod function (playing audio through a docking interface) has become unstable. Connecting my SE 2018 to my car iPod dock worked in 14.2, but now only after reset and only if no playlist was playing before. If I start a playlist with Shortcuts, it completely goes silent and after 5-10 minutes stutter and digital rubbish comes from the speakers.

The HomeKit panel is blanc at first start. I have to close it and reopen it to make it work. Issue existed from 14.0
Sometimes the Home app needs a restart to fix it.

Bluetooth is still a battery drain, strange but true. Issue existed since iOS 13.x even before I purchased some Eve BT homekit devices. I have to turn BT off for most of the time.

One plus though... finally we have 25fps recording.
But for some odd reason you need to flip a switch first to show that new option, labeled "PAL structures".
@Apple programmers, as a television broadcast engineer I have to comment on that:
"PAL" is a acronym of a analogue standard for encoding colour in analogue video. The frame rate being used has nothing to do with it. "PAL" video is also used for 29,97fps analogue video, in Brazil for example. On top of that, most European countries have abandoned analogue television for years now.
Now I know lots of people still use terms "PAL" and "NTSC" even though all their video equipment is fully digital and HD. But still, it is good practice to use the correct terminology with the actual technology in use. Lose that switch and just add all the world standard frame rates in one list.

Reactions: MartyvH

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA

Apple today released iOS and iPadOS 14.3, updates that come over a month after the release of iOS and iPadOS 14.2, which brought new emojis, Intercom support, new wallpapers, and more.

14.3-on-iPhone-12-feature.jpg

The iOS 14.3 update can be downloaded for free and it is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the new software, go to Settings > General > Software Update.

iOS 14.3 brings the ProRAW camera format to the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, plus it introduces support for Apple Fitness+, Apple's latest service. It also includes support for Ecosia, a new search engine option, and introduces a useful change that lets apps created with Shortcuts launch more quickly. The update brings a new Apple TV+ tab in the TV app, and includes several bug fixes.

Apple's full release notes for iOS 14.3 are below, with a complete rundown on everything that's new.For more on iOS 14.3 and prior iOS 14 updates, we have an iOS 14 roundup.

Apple has also released an iOS 12.5 update for older iPhones, which brings the ability to use the Exposure Notifications system.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 With AirPods Max Support, ProRAW for iPhone 12 Pro, Apple Fitness+ and More
Intercom sounds a lot like the amazon Echo functions. ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder if Apple will ever just release a bug fix iOS without constantly introducing new features and introducing new bugs.
Well, x.y.z type of releases are basically bug fix releases. Whether or not they might introduce something else, or address more than just particular issues, that's a somewhat different question.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
My 7-year old iPhone 5s receives yet another iOS update. I'd been installing the last few iOS updates using the full installation files via iTunes because I keep thinking that THIS will at last be the final EOL update for that phone. Yet, Apple keeps issuing updates. Impressive, but I shouldn't be too surprised given that the iPhone 5s and 6 remain among the biggest selling iOS devices ever and millions of them are still in use.

The iOS 12.5 update adds the COVID notification as well as additional security patches. I would have skipped this update because that 5s is no longer my daily driver and the COVID notifications alone aren't particularly useful in a phone that doesn't go out in public anymore. But, I will take the phone out of mothballs to install security updates and any app updates that have accumulated in the meantime. Amazing how well supported it still is (also miss the "just right" size of that phone).

That's great to hear that the A7 chip is still supported.

As for the size of the iPhone 5s, I was at the Apple Store a week ago and compared my SE (1 Gen) to the 12 Mini. The Mini feels better in my hand as it is slightly wider and feels easier to hold.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Switch your passcode off, and try again. This happens to me all the time and I also update using iTunes for Windows.

Yes, that's what i did after i posted my previous post (i just Googled it), still pretty annoying experience. There have been many many issues with iTunes for Windows over the last years. Apple just don't care or i don't know what is happening.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Yes, that's what i did after i posted my previous post (i just Googled it), still pretty annoying experience. There have been many many issues with iTunes for Windows over the last years. Apple just don't care or i don't know what is happening.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

The error 4000 issue began popping up for me starting with the iOS 13.7 update. Every previous update had gone fine, and I've been using iTunes for Windows to manage my phones ever since Apple cut off iTunes support for OS X Lion five years ago.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.