Apple Releases iOS 4.3.3 With Location Tracking Bug Fixes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 4.3.3, bringing several fixes and improvements to Apple's operating system for mobile devices, including addressing bugs cited in the recent location-tracking controversy. The build number is 8J2 for the majority of devices, with the CDMA iPad 2 receiving Build 8J3. A separate iOS 4.2.8 build 8E401 is also available for the CDMA iPhone 4.This update contains changes to the iOS crowd-sourced location database cache including:

- Reduces the size of the cache
- No longer backs the cache up to iTunes
- Deletes the cache entirely when Location Services is turned offBGR reported just two days ago that it had gotten its hands on iOS 4.3.3, claiming that the update also brings battery life improvements and iPod bug fixes.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 4.3.3 With Location Tracking Bug Fixes

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
When was the last time we saw a maintenance release that actually addressed real issues with the OS?

I miss the days when an update would say: "Addresses general stability, bug fixes, and performance improvements."

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
What happened with the battery improvement change log mentioned before?...

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Sounds like a great update, especially if it fixes a bug involving repeat in iPod. And battery life improvements are always good!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's some fast response Apple for the database cache non-issue!

Meanwhile Google is still tracking Fandroids in almost real time.

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
When is Apple going to figure out how to implement software patches instead of forcing people to download a whole copy of the OS for every little update?

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Turn off unnecessary features

This. I hate having to charge my phone after minimal usage every damn night.
Try turning off features you're not using. I'm unfortunately using an Android phone at the moment, but I was able to get battery life up to about a week by turning off GPS, WiFi, etc. It has been a while since I used an iPhone, but I imagine you might be able to do something similar.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Lemme guess... CDMA 4.2.8 gets none of the performance benefits/bug fixes of 4.3.3?

What prize do I win?

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
When is Apple going to figure out how to implement software patches instead of forcing people to download a whole copy of the OS for every little update?
It's easier for them to do whole copies of the OS every time because people could go from iPhone OS 2.0 to iOS 4.3.3 if need be without having to patch to every subsequent release. It also cuts down on the risk of corruption.

daveup2bat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
California
Battery Life?

Battery Life+ please.
Buy a Mophie, back up battery. I got the 2000 mAh capacity, it nearly double the battery capacity of my IPhone, not to mention it's awesome when I have no charger any where near my phone.

Seriously highly recommend, I used to have the one for the 3GS and it was equally impressive.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Try turning off features you're not using. I'm unfortunately using an Android phone at the moment, but I was able to get battery life up to about a week by turning off GPS, WiFi, etc. It has been a while since I used an iPhone, but I imagine you might be able to do something similar.
A WEEK iPhone battery life? Even if you cripple the phone by disabling features, there's still no way it would last even close to a week unless it's in sleep mode the entire time

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good to see Apple doing the right thing on this. Sad that it took a media storm and x-gate monicker to make them take action.

SantoW

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Anyone know if there's an app that saves similar data? I travel a fair bit and found the mapping quite nice to display.

malohkan

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
im hoping this quietly fixes the unresponsive home button issue.
Last time I had an unresponsive home button, I took it into the Apple store, they said "oh you have a hairline crack right here, see it?" I said, "no" because it was too small to see, but then they handed me a brand new phone to replace it for free. Solved my problem :)

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Does it fix the mute button? maybe its just mine but it vibrates when I switch it both ways and some doesn't vibrate when switched to silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.