Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
For ONCE the "snappier" wise cracks are ACTUALLY TRUE!!!

Apple finally delivers an upgrade that is instantly a big improvement.

Kudos to the Apple Team!!!:D

Now please get to work making Mavericks run faster....it has been underwhelming so far.:(

I don't know why you say that, but for me Mavericks has been great so far. Maybe it's because of the hardware I am using though. I don't know how it runs on older systems. I guess you are using an older Mac?

But back to iOS 7.1. Yes, it's a big difference, but it is still not where it should be. I occasionally get some stutter and my iPad hangs when I turn it on, for a second or two. I reseted my iPad to factory settings, but that didn't help. I have a cellular model and at my home signal isn't good. I think it has to do with that, despite the fact that the iPad is connected to my home Wifi..If I disable Cellular, then the system becomes more responsive. I just don't want to bother switching on and of stuff to make my iPad work ok. It is unacceptable and Apple should solve such issues. My iPhone doesn't suffer from these issues, despite the fact that it's using the same cellular provider..

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Something which I notice - on my iPad 2 and iPhone 5, which are both on the latest iOS pre iOS 7.1, is that Notifications on one device still do not clear when read on the other device?:confused:

Emails work (when I read emails on one device, they show as 'read' on the other device) however, iMessages do not?! I can get an iMessage on my iPad 2, so obviously I get the Notification on my iPhone 5 as well, however, when I then read it on my iPad 2, I still have the red circle with a '1' inside it on the Messaging app on my iPhone 5 (and vice versa).:confused:

Aren't these supposed to clear from the device once read from the other device...?

Just to update this, I had a look at both my settings on my iPhone and iPad 2 and it seemed there was a slight mis-match in the details.

On my iPhone 5, I had 3 entries for the 'Send iMessages from' fields:

#mobile phone number
#xxxx@me.com
#xxxx@icloud.com

.....and the one which was selected was the #mobile phone number entry

However, on my iPad 2, although I had the same 3 entries, the selected one was #xxxx@icloud.com.

Perhaps this was the reason why Notifications were not clearing once read from the other device. I then ensured that my iPad 2 had the #mobile phone number entry selected so that it matched my iPhone 5.

I then got someone to iMessage me. I answered the message on my iPad 2, then left it for about 10 minutes and went and checked my iPhone 5 and low and behold, the message was now NOT showing on my iPhone 5....!!! Success....!!!:p

I have now installed iOS 7.1 to both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 5. First impressions are really good....!!

My iPad 2 is running super fast now (before, it would always stutter in the zoom animations when opening folders and apps) however, now the animations are really quick...!

Also love the few small differences on my iPhone 5. I have the 'Reduce Motion' feature enabled (I don't suffer from motion sickness but have it enabled purely because I think the fade animation looks alot better than the constant zooming in and out of folders and apps!) and like the new animation when you are in the multi-tasking bar screen :

Before, when you had the multi-tasking screen open and you hit the home button, it would scroll all the way to the left until it returned back to the home screen (so if you had 10 apps open and you were looking at the 10th app, it would then scroll past all 9 apps before it, before returning to the home screen), however now, if you have 10 apps open and you are looking at the 10th app, when you hit the home button, it just fades straight away back to the home screen - NICE. :cool:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
For what it's worth, I found this advice on another site, and so far it's working for me: Go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset All Settings. Bit of a pain cause you have to re-enter your iCloud login and a few other things, but it's been 12 hours now and my on screen keyboard still works, and swiping Control Center works again. No guarantees it'll last though. Hope you find a solution!

It'd be best if noone restored any kind of backup but did a true clean restore. It's updating that causes problems like that.

No wonder that I, who have had (and still have - I haven't sold any of them, except for handing down some in the family) almost all iDevice models since 2007 and routinely upgrade them to new OS versions, have NEVER encountered excess battery usage and other kinds of glitches. Because I never restore previous backups or even do OTA upgrades.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Been running great for me since a few hours after release. All the small tweaks are terrific, and for me, the single _best_ change is the slight timing changes to the animations. It’s astounding how much it improves the overall experience.

There also seems to be a major improvement to the edge detect on the top and bottom swipe motion, particularly the bottom (i.e., Control Center). It was a little janky in some apps (messages/sms comes to mind), now it’s much easier to open.

I might finally update our iPad 4 to iOS7[.1] :cool:

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Because I never restore previous backups or even do OTA upgrades.

I've wondered about that approach. But don't you lose your apps settings and certain data that way? Content and media can be sync'd back from iTunes, and iCloud has some stuff, but not every app uses iCloud. Sounds like a lot of reconfiguring things.

How much of a pain is it? Genuinely interested.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've wondered about that approach. But don't you lose your apps settings and certain data that way? Content and media can be sync'd back from iTunes, and iCloud has some stuff, but not every app uses iCloud. Sounds like a lot of reconfiguring things.

Yes, you have to reenter everything. I'm a proponent of a clean install but I also sync my iPad's to my Mac mini to transfer over my settings. I've never noticed an issue with the battery either way.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

It requires some manual backup / restore of some apps storing their state locally. For experienced iOS users/programmers like me, full-manual backup / restore it isn't that big an issue and can be done in some 10-20 minutes, depending on the nr of apps.

It's certainly worth doing once, say, every month or so, when a new firmware comes out.

iTunes synching makes sure my email credentials, favs etc. are always synched. Plain iTunes synching (after a clean restore; not to be mistaken for restoring a full, previous backup) has never caused me battery etc. issues.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Didn't fix my safari issue... yet :(

Well although 7.1 made my ipad air a wee bit snappier, I think, it did not fix my severe safari problems.... :/ I was really hoping it would. My safari is INCREDIBLY slow, I'm taking about input and touch responses and everything. Scrolling or pressing a link or keyboard button has delays between at least 3 to 6 seconds!!! WTF?!! All the other apps work perfectly fine though, including chrome... Gonna have to try an "erase all settings" and re-install from icloud backup... kind of a pain... hopefully it will work... but come on apple...!

Last edited:

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
7.1 seems snappier on my 5S but still getting random app crashes on the iPad Air with apps like Safari, Feedly and Mail.

I updated via OTA do you think it would make a huge difference if I did a restore with iTunes?

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Geekbench on iOS tests raw performance from the point of view of a sandboxed app, it can't test system-level UI code like transitions and app switching. And it won't show improvements made to the other built-in apps.

Now THAT, I didn't consider. Thank you. I've learned something for next time. And no, that is not sarcasm, that is a real thank you.

Sad that I have to clarify that.

Drewbrown2008

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Music app

There are still a lot of changes to be made to the Music app but they are moving in the right direction with changing the order the albums are displayed by an artist. Instead of listing them older to newer they finally listed them newer to older. No one has seemed to catch this other than me.

Does no one else find the new shift button confusing? Half the time it's a crapshoot if I'll get a capital letter.

Also, I personally think it took way too long to fix the soft reboots the OS would always need. Whatever. It got fixed.

I'm also enjoying the wide use of "snappier". lol

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Just to update this, I had a look at both my settings on my iPhone and iPad 2 and it seemed there was a slight mis-match in the details.

On my iPhone 5, I had 3 entries for the 'Send iMessages from' fields:

#mobile phone number
#xxxx@me.com
#xxxx@icloud.com

.....and the one which was selected was the #mobile phone number entry

However, on my iPad 2, although I had the same 3 entries, the selected one was #xxxx@icloud.com.

Perhaps this was the reason why Notifications were not clearing once read from the other device. I then ensured that my iPad 2 had the #mobile phone number entry selected so that it matched my iPhone 5.

I then got someone to iMessage me. I answered the message on my iPad 2, then left it for about 10 minutes and went and checked my iPhone 5 and low and behold, the message was now NOT showing on my iPhone 5....!!! Success....!!!:p

Ah that's why. I only have my number associated with all iOS devices as I had issues when it began with email addresses also being associated.

Well although 7.1 made my ipad air a wee bit snappier, I think, it did not fix my severe safari problems.... :/ I was really hoping it would. My safari is INCREDIBLY slow, I'm taking about input and touch responses and everything. Scrolling or pressing a link or keyboard button has delays between at least 3 to 6 seconds!!! WTF?!! All the other apps work perfectly fine though, including chrome... Gonna have to try an "erase all settings" and re-install from icloud backup... kind of a pain... hopefully it will work... but come on apple...!

Yea, that's not right. Try reset all settings before erase all content and settings.

7.1 seems snappier on my 5S but still getting random app crashes on the iPad Air with apps like Safari, Feedly and Mail.

I updated via OTA do you think it would make a huge difference if I did a restore with iTunes?

As above. I'm not getting any crashes in feedly, safari and mail.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I haven't used it much yet, but it SEEMS like my iPad 2 feels a bit faster. It wasn't bad with 7 to begin with though.

5s was asking me to reenter my voicemail password, then stopped doing that.

I assume podast support is still horrific, but otherwise seems fine.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
New Shift key is confusing

Does no one else find the new shift button confusing? Half the time it's a crapshoot if I'll get a capital letter.

Yup, I absolutely hate the new shift key...sometimes it's black, sometimes it's white, and you never what you'll get with it. :mad: They should make it way more obvious.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Why can't I delete an album from my iPhone apple? 58 songs and I can't even swipe to delete. I swipe it says delete I then press delete so that 116 presses to delete an album. Seriously no one at apple uses an iPhone and delted stuff or your sat laughing at the pain your inflicting.

Not impressed

Jjaro

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Yokosuka, Japan
Because you will ask for their warranty service if it bricks - yes Apple will deny service if they can check; but if it can't even be turned on, then Apple will be tricked to give you a replacement unit.

----------

I still don't understand why the evaders chose to release the jailbreak when iOS 7.1 was still in beta stage. They wasted the exploit.

Agreed. But they likely decided to do it early because of the money that was supposedly paid to then by the Chinese company that wanted their malicious App Store on iOS.

CodeSmoke

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Read this if you sync Google Contacts

For what it's worth, I found this advice on another site, and so far it's working for me: Go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset All Settings. Bit of a pain cause you have to re-enter your iCloud login and a few other things, but it's been 12 hours now and my on screen keyboard still works, and swiping Control Center works again. No guarantees it'll last though. Hope you find a solution!

I erased my iphone and started over with a fresh copy and everything when well until I added my gmail account where I sync my contacts. As soon as I added that account the keyboard started to lag again on this fresh install. I went to the google account and toggled OFF the contacts and the lag went away. Toggle it back ON and the lag is back.

This is the same response on my iPhone 5 and iPad Air and even after a fresh install.

~Chris

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The phone is turning off, so I guess it's not as important to really see it in full brightness in the eyes of Apple.

Heh. I allowed the battery to run down to nil today as part of the monthly calibration routine, and as the phone shut itself down, the gear appeared, at the old, normal brightness.

Why Apple would deem one situation to be important and the other unimportant doesn't make any more sense than to have an indicator that is practically invisible.

FWIW, my first battery cycle after doing an erase/restore to cure a standby drain issue after the 7.1 update resulted in 5:45 usage (most of it playing a game), and 2 days, 1hr on standby, so I guess whatever glitch occurred after the update has been eliminated.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apple Releases iOS 7.1 With CarPlay, Touch ID Improvements, Visual Tweaks

I finally updated via iTunes. Still can't work out why I didn't have enough space OTA but I did when hard wired ?

OTA requires space to decompress the file and for files made temporarily during installation, then removes them and the setup file. When doing it hard wired, the computer deals with decompressing and temporary files.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
OTA requires space to decompress the file and for files made temporarily during installation, then removes them and the setup file. When doing it hard wired, the computer deals with decompressing and temporary files.

Correct, and an overhead to avoid corruption during installation.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
I erased my iphone and started over with a fresh copy and everything when well until I added my gmail account where I sync my contacts. As soon as I added that account the keyboard started to lag again on this fresh install. I went to the google account and toggled OFF the contacts and the lag went away. Toggle it back ON and the lag is back.

This is the same response on my iPhone 5 and iPad Air and even after a fresh install.

~Chris

Boy that's strange! I have a gmail account too, but only for mail, I have contacts turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.