Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Apple Releases iOS 8.1 With Apple Pay Support, SMS Relay, Camera Roll, and More

Ok ok I get it. People in the US can pay with their iPhones.

Now, considering that this thread is about iOS 8.1 and not Apple Pay in particular, I'll ask again: beside fixing particular bugs, does iOS 8.1 fix overall the performance issues, or will the story of the iOS 6 to iOS 7 transition be repeated? Did iOS 8.1 mess up anything?

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The App is all location based and you authenticate with touch ID, thats it no ETC. I mean getting my phone out and authenticating in the lock screen takes 2 secs. Thats a lot faster than opening your wallet and fumbling for your credit cards. The whole point is that its much securer, faster while still using your existing credit cards.

Your last sentence in that paragraph makes makes no sense whatsoever :confused:
I don't have to hold my phone in my hand everywhere I go the same way I don't have to hold my credit card in my hand everywhere I go. There are things called pockets, they are magical and with apple pay I need one item less in them. Now thats FREEDOM. :D

BS. You can take your phone out, tap it on the screen, and have TouchID authenticate in 2 seconds? Absolute BS. Even in the videos that promote Apple Pay they can't do that.

You can't compare having your payment method in your hand vs. having it your pocket. That's simply not a fair comparison. People do that because they simply need to make themselves think they're right.

Why does my last sentence confuse you? I was told that "90% of people carry their phones in their hands at all times". That's also a load of BS made up by people who obviously don't get out enough. I could just as easily say that "90% of people carry their credit cards at all times in their hands". How does that "statistic" sound?

People will make up any kind of baloney to try to justify their actions. All of a sudden it's so difficult to open up a wallet and pull out a credit card. LOL...

stikle

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Some people are so argumentative...

From MY standpoint, pulling out my phone and authenticating with a finger print is a hell of a lot faster than digging my wallet out, unfolding it, pulling the debit card out, swiping it, putting in my PIN and waiting for the transaction to complete. Or even if it's run as a credit card, all of the above steps minus the PIN.

Unfortunately, my credit union does not yet support Apple Pay, so I can't go buy fries just to try it out.

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
BS. You can take your phone out, tap it on the screen, and have TouchID authenticate in 2 seconds? Absolute BS. Even in the videos that promote Apple Pay they can't do that.

You can't compare having your payment method in your hand vs. having it your pocket. That's simply not a fair comparison. People do that because they simply need to make themselves think they're right.

Why does my last sentence confuse you? I was told that "90% of people carry their phones in their hands at all times". That's also a load of BS made up by people who obviously don't get out enough. I could just as easily say that "90% of people carry their credit cards at all times in their hands". How does that "statistic" sound?

People will make up any kind of baloney to try to justify their actions. All of a sudden it's so difficult to open up a wallet and pull out a credit card. LOL...

Lol you're funny.

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
Some people are so argumentative...

From MY standpoint, pulling out my phone and authenticating with a finger print is a hell of a lot faster than digging my wallet out, unfolding it, pulling the debit card out, swiping it, putting in my PIN and waiting for the transaction to complete. Or even if it's run as a credit card, all of the above steps minus the PIN.

Unfortunately, my credit union does not yet support Apple Pay, so I can't go buy fries just to try it out.

I agree with you that paying with an iPhone is a hell lot faster and convenience than pulling out a physical cc. I used Apple Pay today and I loved loved loved the experience.

However, I'd like to point out to the "haters" that the main point of using Apple Pay is not about saving those "3 precious seconds" ( Come on let's be realistic, you're not Bill Gates, I'm not Bill Gates. Our 3 seconds saved from using Apple Pay don't earned you thousands of dollars), it's about paying with credit cards using a safer approach. You doing somewhat the same steps with both, depending on your habit of how you store and handle your wallet and/or your phone, but Apple Pay is more secure and private. You, as a smart individual, will choose the safer, and more private way. That's it. You can add the cool factor, the convenience etc to justify your choice of using Apple Pay, but in the end, it all comes down to protecting your privacy. And after using it, I say it worked for me and my busy lifestyle. No one force you to use Apple Pay, so just don't be sour about how it worked for other people.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

In regards to your last sentence, with that logic why have mobile phones when we have landlines. Screw progress in technology, I guess.
The point of Apple pay is that it uses your existing payment methods and integrates them with the device you carry with you all the time, your PHONE. Not every country uses touch or swip credit cards. You actually still have to stick the card into a machine, enter your PIN and sometimes even provide your signature. Apple pay is more private, more secure, as fast if not faster than credit cards and I need one item less to carry with me most of the time. I don't know what to tell you but this video shows that it takes like 3 seconds to pay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9M...l: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9MbIrlEUw))

Are you really going tell me that all you have with you is 1 credit card, in a holster ready for action? Are you a cowboy?
Most people actually have a million things in their wallet. I also don't know why you are so hung up on the fact that people said your phone is in your hand all the time (which is obviously BS), it makes no difference.
Its actually very simple.

1) It takes the same time to take my wallet or phone out of my pocket, agreed?
2) by the time I opened my wallet, looked for the correct credit card and take it out, I have already payed with apple pay. This is even ignoring the steps I mentioned above that I often need to do in order to actually complete the payment with my credit card.
3) therefore apple pay is faster and more awesome and on top of that nobody in the shops knows your identity or other private info. Thank you technology ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.