Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMJG

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
[doublepost=1470332002][/doublepost]I got an error saying This Device isn't Eligible for the Requested Build. iPhone 6 64GB. The software downloaded and tried to install then the error popped. any ideas?

Same here on an iPhone 6 128GB and an iPad Air 64GB. It got far enough in the update to effectively brick the iPad before refusing to continue.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
i still dont understand if its thethered or untethered. ive read thats tethered but i dont understand why so much hype then. usually there was always a tethered jb for every ios. the big thing its an untethered version

Current jailbreak is considered "semi-tethered", which is as good as we're going to get for iOS 9.x. If you reboot your phone, it will come back in un-jailbroken state and you run an app to rejailbreak, so you don't need to be tethered every time you reboot.

Since this jailbreak works from an app installed on your phone (in combination with doing some stuff tethered to a PC), I can see why Apple would want to patch it quickly.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
Dear people who are saying "this patches the jailbreak", a jailbreak must bypass security features of iOS in order to be installed, and if jailbreak software can do it, so can other people who want to do much more with your phone than install some new features. So the more correct thing is to say that this patches a severe security hole. To just say "jailbreak" distracts from the real security issue.

Sorry, but this is not an exploit that anyone can use. You not only need to connect your iPhone to a computer running their software, but you also need to provide your AppleID and password.

A security exploit is something that can be done to a device that's not physically in your possession (for example, installing malicious code onto your device after yout visit a webpage or open a text message WITHOUT the user knowing about it).

To call this a "severe security hole" is beyond ridiculous.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
And it will be jailbroken in no time. You don't think they sit on exploits? Of course they do.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Seriously why do people want to jailbreak their phone these days?! Go buy a Samsung then.

Then they probably complain when their phone gets hacked.

To get tethering when you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, among other things. Also having your calendar on the lock screen is amazing and something Apple should be ashamed of not allowing.

spackl

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Dear people who are saying "this patches the jailbreak", a jailbreak must bypass security features of iOS in order to be installed, and if jailbreak software can do it, so can other people who want to do much more with your phone than install some new features. So the more correct thing is to say that this patches a severe security hole. To just say "jailbreak" distracts from the real security issue.

I agree, so short sighted to just say fixes the jailbreak. As you said, that means security hole. Furthermore as with every update, they do eventually list all the CVE's that they fixed. They just do not release at the same time for their attempt to protect the users as if they listed all that was fixed right off the bat, that will give those with the skills to reverse the changes to find the issue and write exploits. They do in time post all the actual fixes later once they have given the user base enough time to be updated. Those that do not are in my opinion ID10T's as after that amount of time, exploits will be written. Never understood those that skip updates.

As an example, here is a list of the CVE's fixed with the previous update.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206902

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sorry, but this is not an exploit that anyone can use. You not only need to connect your iPhone to a computer running their software, but you also need to provide your AppleID and password.
There may be other ways to exploit the vulnerability that the jailbreakers didn't see. It must be a pretty severe bug, otherwise they wouldn't push out an update out of turn on a Thursday shortly after 9.3.3.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
No, it's fact. Backed by hard data from App developers like ustwo (who track the number of paid and copied App installs there are).

Next you're going to tell me people who pirate PC games are only doing it to "try it out" and they plan on buying the real game if they like it.
No, it's BS because you're saying that the only reason people jailbreak is to pirate apps. Some people do, yes, but that's not the only reason and a lot of people don't pirate.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Apple should be straight forward with this. We know what it is for..but they could say, "9.3.4 will stop jailbreaking."

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just updated from 9.3.2 to 9.3.3. easiest JB ever, didnt even remove the Pangu app, all i had to do was click the app again and boom jailbroken. sweet. thanks Apple for forcing me to update #lazy

larryak

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2016
SF Bay Area
This update BRICKED my iPod 6G. I've had various iDevices for over 10 years, first time I've had this happen. Will try again later in case the problem is on their end. In the meantime, not updating my others. The OTA update was 1.2 GB, so I decided to use iTunes. In hindsight probably not the right decision...

[update]
Was eventually able to get the iPod to come to life and update properly. I will spare you readers the details but it did involve multiple DFU mode attempts, deleting and re-downloading the .ipws file, multiple restarts of iTunes, reboots of my PC, etc... It did end up being a full restore, but iTunes had made a backup as part of the initial update attempt so no data or apps lost. Just my time...
Late this afternoon I then moved on to two other iDevices and those updated without incident.

Last edited:

iMacFanatic86

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
24.4MB Air 2 & 26.1MB 6s. Seems a little larger than just a quick jailbreak patch. Jailbreak patch is probably in there, but I'm guessing there are a few other things worked out as well.
24.4MB Air 2 & 26.1MB 6s. Seems a little larger than just a quick jailbreak patch. Jailbreak patch is probably in there, but I'm guessing there are a few other things worked out as well.

26.7mb on 6s Plus 64gb
25.4mb on iPad Pro 12.9'' 32gb

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Apple should be straight forward with this. We know what it is for..but they could say, "9.3.4 will stop jailbreaking."
Jailbreak relies on security vulnerabilities, so when the JB is released it exposes a vulnerability. It makes sense that Apple would want to patch the underlying problem, regardless of whether it prevents JB or not.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I just updated my iPad Pro 12.9 from 9.3.3 to 9.34 and it BRICKED!
It says to try to put it back to factory defaults. OMG!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.