Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can't provide a link, but I have seen a preliminary risk assessment of the CVE-2021-1844 vulnerability stating that it can be used for drive-by attacks (i.e. malicious code could be executed on your device just by displaying a web page). I highly recommend to update ASAP. It's now a race between users updating and blackhats analyzing Apple's patch to reverse engineer how the vulnerability can be exploited.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully this fixes the random app unresponsiveness (where a random app just freezes; swiping up and sometimes force-quitting is the only way to revive it; 14.4 on iPhone 12 Pro in my case).

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Normally I’m not in a rush to update but this one made me update everything just on suspicion. I’m sure it’s an active exploit but probably only targeting specific groups and/or facilities. I just wish they could make the install process go faster. It was pretty slow - even worse on my iMac.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
I ended up updating them anyway. Not doing much else at the moment. I still wish all those cool betas people get would actually come as an official release.

That's smart. Why wait with security? It is not like it's an inconvenience, you can just set to update during the night. If you've lived with the exploit for weeks you can live with it another few hours.

Regarding the betas and their new features all I can say is: they will come when they're ready. Be thankful in the meantime that you are running a stable operating system, something that is greatly underappreciated these days.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Hopefully this fixes the random app unresponsiveness (where a random app just freezes; swiping up and sometimes force-quitting is the only way to revive it; 14.4 on iPhone 12 Pro in my case).
I also encountered this issue with the last iOS version. Fingers crossed it's fixed now.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't get excited for updates or wait for them. I became wise. There will always be an update in the pipeline. Once released, people wait for the next, and so on. Just live your life.

• Love
Reactions: apples_arrogance

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I don't get excited for updates or wait for them. I became wise. There will always be an update in the pipeline. Once released, people wait for the next, and so on. Just live your life.

I agree with waiting on large new updates. However, Apple should have been MORE forthcoming in their release notes just how serious this Webkit vulnerability patch was. People on iOS 14 need to do this ASAP. This Security update was pushed out by Apple as well, and not just to iOS but Mac OS as well.

People have become too complacent in their approaches to Apple's Security updates. Sure there have been rushed, poorly implemented updates. This is NOT one of them.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I have not experienced this since the update yesterday. We will see how today goes.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I think, the most "exciting" in this update is its stability, since it only apply security fixes. I have no issue (same performance with 14.4) on ipad Air 3 and SE2.

karthikmcs

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
Does anyone have a problem with AT&T prepaid after the update? After the update, it says an update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Does anyone have a problem with AT&T prepaid after the update? After the update, it says an update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone.
I have prepaid, but haven’t updated my phone yet. Is it working for you now or figure out the problem?

DavePurz

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Well, what ever the fix was my 11 sure got VERY warm during the update. Haven’t experienced that with an update in a long time.
My 6s Plus has started running hot when watching video, surfing the web, etc.

THIS photo after watching a 90 min movie. It drained the battery by 30%.

(edited) forgot to mention this is with 14.5b3

Attachments

• 4EDBC76E-4940-4E69-88CE-8C2B9F42C8B8.jpeg
    4EDBC76E-4940-4E69-88CE-8C2B9F42C8B8.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

See how it is after another day of running. Mine was a little warm and sluggish for around 24hrs.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I think, the most "exciting" in this update is its stability, since it only apply security fixes. I have no issue (same performance with 14.4) on ipad Air 3 and SE2.

I don't get excited over stability, every new release is bug filled then there is the stability one. Its not like our problems will go away with this update forever.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I agree with waiting on large new updates. However, Apple should have been MORE forthcoming in their release notes just how serious this Webkit vulnerability patch was. People on iOS 14 need to do this ASAP. This Security update was pushed out by Apple as well, and not just to iOS but Mac OS as well.

People have become too complacent in their approaches to Apple's Security updates. Sure there have been rushed, poorly implemented updates. This is NOT one of them.

there is always security patches non ending. I never heard any one being attacked via those security worries though.

billk711

Suspended
Oct 11, 2011

Not bad for a 6 year old phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.