Apple Releases iTunes 12.7.5 With Minor Performance Improvements

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released an updated version of iTunes, iTunes 12.7.5, which the company says introduces minor app and performance improvements.

The iTunes 12.7.5 update has been released alongside iOS 11.4, tvOS 11.4, and watchOS 4.3.1. Apple has a macOS 10.13.5 update in the works, but has not released it as of yet.

iTunes 12.7.5 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free using the Software Update function.

iTunes 12.7.5 comes two months after Apple released iTunes 12.7.4, an update that introduced a new music video experience for Apple Music, adding a music video section to Apple Music in iTunes.

iTunes 12.7, released in September, was the last major update to iTunes, eliminating the built-in App Store to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.7.5 With Minor Performance Improvements

2. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

Intriguing! A sign macOS update will be released anytime soon?

edit: 191 Mb, wonder what that includes...

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

OMG chills! Come on download, go faster!

4. pandren macrumors newbie

pandren

Nothing new really. Still struggling with a 7 month+ ticket at Apple. Engineers been investigating been the whole time. Got 22 500+ songs in Waiting and all my playlists are a mess.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Still noticing occasional, apparently random issues with the rendering of album covers. Scrolling way past a cover and then returning to it seems to fix it though. First started noticing this in the previous update:

cov.png

6. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Not a UI overhaul that most have been waiting years for...

7. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

8. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

9. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

10. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

If you mean stripping it down to iOS-level, that's a hard pass from me.

The interface is definitely a bit fractured, but I'm pretty sure that any big overhaul is going to strip out all the power user features. For instance, the iOS Music app jettisoned star ratings a while back in favor of "Loves" which is just beyond useless. Some of us have years and years of music collected in iTunes, smart playlists based on ratings... all kinds of stuff they could ruin if they decided to. I'll take a slightly awkward but powerful interface over a pretty "minimal" one devoid of features any day, thanks.

11. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Even though I don't use ratings, I couldn't agree more with the gist of what you're saying. I have very limited confidence in Apple, at the moment, when it comes to software/UI design that's deceptively simple, beautiful, usable and powerful. I'm also afraid we could easily lose all or most of iTunes' scriptability if they ever seriously overhauled the app.

12. LinusR macrumors 6502

LinusR

I thought that was only me! Hope this is addressed at some point (soonish?).

13. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

Where is MacOS update, I want iCloud messages.

14. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Still can't hide that horrible new music mix. Every time I call Apple I tell them I wish I could hide it.

15. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

The last update wouldn't allow me to sync rented HD iTunes films from my Mac to the iPhone 4S.

I'm worried to update now.

16. CygnusTC macrumors newbie

Sigh....Still hoping for the day when the headline reads..."Apple completely rewrites iTunes" where it can do simple things like not lose my cover art, not screw up my playlists, not refuse to copy an album anymore to iPhone that I deleted from my iPhone, etc, etc, etc. You know BASIC music management things that media players have been doing for YEARS!

17. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

iTunes is one of the few apps where you wish it would go back to how it was ~10 years ago.

Thankfully I’m on Spotify now so I don’t even have to launch iTunes. Bliss.

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Anyone know if this update is needed to do iTunes restores of 11.4?

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

You know you can configure it to have the exact same layout and functionality as it did 10 years ago yeah?

20. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Not quite. For example, while you can finally open playlists in individual windows again, the windows don't remember either their position or size after you close them. Which is the kind of functionality I took for granted 10 years ago, on the Mac at least, but is something Apple these days doesn't seem to care enough about anymore. A lot of features simply don't go very deep anymore in terms of implementation effort. And this literally used to work in the very first version of iTunes.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Make iTunes like the old version like version 2.0 + the Music store. The other stuff can be separating into something else.

22. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Something oh so exciting, I don't even use iTunes except to sync my iDevices. :p

23. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Thats the problem with Apple these days, no offense, but your not what Apple wants as a user. Apple wants dumb teenagers that will pay the monthly streaming and listen to whatever Apple gets a good deal on sending down the stream.

Apple does not want to be a technology leaders, they want to be in control and provide fashion accessories that get bought based on marketing bling. If one is smart, eclectic, power users, etc. Apple does not want you!

By no offense I mean that I am in the same boat as you and have finally had it pounded in my head that Apple is not the company for me. They make good products, not great anymore, but they keep taking away the features I desire.

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Or basically individuals decide what is or isn't for them, regardless of some stereotypical generalizations of trying to pigeonhole users in some way.

25. SoGood macrumors 6502

SoGood

Are they also updating that unspoken version from 12.6.4.3 to 12.6.x.x?