Apple Releases iTunes 12.7.5 With Minor Performance Improvements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released an updated version of iTunes, iTunes 12.7.5, which the company says introduces minor app and performance improvements.

The iTunes 12.7.5 update has been released alongside iOS 11.4, tvOS 11.4, and watchOS 4.3.1. Apple has a macOS 10.13.5 update in the works, but has not released it as of yet.

iTunes 12.7.5 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free using the Software Update function.

iTunes 12.7.5 comes two months after Apple released iTunes 12.7.4, an update that introduced a new music video experience for Apple Music, adding a music video section to Apple Music in iTunes.

iTunes 12.7, released in September, was the last major update to iTunes, eliminating the built-in App Store to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.7.5 With Minor Performance Improvements

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Not a UI overhaul that most have been waiting years for...
If you mean stripping it down to iOS-level, that's a hard pass from me.

The interface is definitely a bit fractured, but I'm pretty sure that any big overhaul is going to strip out all the power user features. For instance, the iOS Music app jettisoned star ratings a while back in favor of "Loves" which is just beyond useless. Some of us have years and years of music collected in iTunes, smart playlists based on ratings... all kinds of stuff they could ruin if they decided to. I'll take a slightly awkward but powerful interface over a pretty "minimal" one devoid of features any day, thanks.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

The interface is definitely a bit fractured, but I'm pretty sure that any big overhaul is going to strip out all the power user features. For instance, the iOS Music app jettisoned star ratings a while back in favor of "Loves" which is just beyond useless. Some of us have years and years of music collected in iTunes, smart playlists based on ratings... all kinds of stuff they could ruin if they decided to. I'll take a slightly awkward but powerful interface over a pretty "minimal" one devoid of features any day, thanks.
Even though I don't use ratings, I couldn't agree more with the gist of what you're saying. I have very limited confidence in Apple, at the moment, when it comes to software/UI design that's deceptively simple, beautiful, usable and powerful. I'm also afraid we could easily lose all or most of iTunes' scriptability if they ever seriously overhauled the app.

CygnusTC

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Sigh....Still hoping for the day when the headline reads..."Apple completely rewrites iTunes" where it can do simple things like not lose my cover art, not screw up my playlists, not refuse to copy an album anymore to iPhone that I deleted from my iPhone, etc, etc, etc. You know BASIC music management things that media players have been doing for YEARS!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
You know you can configure it to have the exact same layout and functionality as it did 10 years ago yeah?
Not quite. For example, while you can finally open playlists in individual windows again, the windows don't remember either their position or size after you close them. Which is the kind of functionality I took for granted 10 years ago, on the Mac at least, but is something Apple these days doesn't seem to care enough about anymore. A lot of features simply don't go very deep anymore in terms of implementation effort. And this literally used to work in the very first version of iTunes.

nt5672

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007

Thats the problem with Apple these days, no offense, but your not what Apple wants as a user. Apple wants dumb teenagers that will pay the monthly streaming and listen to whatever Apple gets a good deal on sending down the stream.

Apple does not want to be a technology leaders, they want to be in control and provide fashion accessories that get bought based on marketing bling. If one is smart, eclectic, power users, etc. Apple does not want you!

By no offense I mean that I am in the same boat as you and have finally had it pounded in my head that Apple is not the company for me. They make good products, not great anymore, but they keep taking away the features I desire.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thats the problem with Apple these days, no offense, but your not what Apple wants as a user. Apple wants dumb teenagers that will pay the monthly streaming and listen to whatever Apple gets a good deal on sending down the stream.

Apple does not want to be a technology leaders, they want to be in control and provide fashion accessories that get bought based on marketing bling. If one is smart, eclectic, power users, etc. Apple does not want you!

By no offense I mean that I am in the same boat as you and have finally had it pounded in my head that Apple is not the company for me. They make good products, not great anymore, but they keep taking away the features I desire.
Or basically individuals decide what is or isn't for them, regardless of some stereotypical generalizations of trying to pigeonhole users in some way.

Reactions: ignatius345