Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
For instance, the iOS Music app jettisoned star ratings a while back in favor of "Loves" which is just beyond useless.
That problem was short-lived, you've been able to rate songs from within iOS Music for some time now. Maybe you didn't enable it? (Settings > Music > Show Star Ratings) Doing that allows you to view and change the rating, but honestly I prefer the Cesium widget for making rating changes, fewer steps involved.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Still noticing occasional, apparently random issues with the rendering of album covers. Scrolling way past a cover and then returning to it seems to fix it though. First started noticing this in the previous update:

View attachment 763547
Yes, same here. Rendering some of the album art is spotty on the last update. It's like the iTunes (album) page is slower to render ALL the albums initially, but eventually they will load after some time scrolling here and forth. Processing speed is not the problem, I have a quadcore i7 CPU.

I'm hoping this update fixes it, but maybe I'll just wait a few more days for the entire shazam of High Sierra 10.13.5 comes out.

Reactions: tonyr6

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Are they also updating that unspoken version from 12.6.4.3 to 12.6.x.x?
Not yet, (or maybe no?) You can download IPSW files for your iOS devices if need be and install them w/current version of iTunes (12.6.4.3, which is what I have also), I actually had to do that for iOS 11.3.1. There are various places you can get the IPSW, osxdaily is usually quick to post them.

suerte66

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
I'd be happy if they just fixed the Determining Gapless Playback thing thats constantly running in the background

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
That problem was short-lived, you've been able to rate songs from within iOS Music for some time now. Maybe you didn't enable it? (Settings > Music > Show Star Ratings) Doing that allows you to view and change the rating, but honestly I prefer the Cesium widget for making rating changes, fewer steps involved.
Ah, I absolutely did miss that, thanks for the tip! They sure do not make it easy.

I've been using Cesium too. Love it. And, it works interchangably with the stock Music app.

Reactions: MrGuder

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I've been using Cesium too. Love it. And, it works interchangably with the stock Music app.
I’m using Cesium too and love it. Dark mode is my favorite and it even works in landscape mode. My utmost favorite is that it keeps all my album artwork at full size like it was intended, not this gimmick from the stock music app that cuts album artwork in half and childish animation when you pause make artwork even smaller. Now all I miss is full artwork on the lock screen, hate that Apple took that away and minimized it so small.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I’m using Cesium too and love it. Dark mode is my favorite and it even works in landscape mode. My utmost favorite is that it keeps all my album artwork at full size like it was intended, not this gimmick from the stock music app that cuts album artwork in half and childish animation when you pause make artwork even smaller. Now all I miss is full artwork on the lock screen, hate that Apple took that away and minimized it so small.
There's a dark mode?? I just went in and tipped the developer $2 for that alone.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Someone posted to try out the IINA media player in a previous thread. I dislike redundant software on my machines, but the features, the performance... it really whips the llamas arse.

Since then I haven't even bothered rebuilding my enormous iTunes library. The old version with the full sidebar layout was iTunes at its peak, and it's been a long slow slog downhill ever since.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I use iTunes to sync 20,000 photos onto my iPhone.

The last iteration broke this functionality. Does anyone one know if this release puts it back?
Gotta say, since turning on iCloud Photo library I've never used that functionality - wasn't aware it still existed.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
What are you still syncing with that app from the stone age?
ever have issues with your idevice after installing OTA updates?

I still sync my idevices w/iTunes on my Mac. Whenever there is an iOS update, I never do OTA, always download the entire iOS w/iTunes and then, instead of the update changing iOS, (like OTA), which can cause issues, it removes and completely replaces iOS with the new version. I find my idevices to be much more stable. ...So many times people that update OTA say "this issue" suddenly is happening, and many times those that use iTunes do not have these issues.

It's also useful for keeping old iOS apps that aren't made anymore, a couple that I have on my older iPad that only goes up to 9.3.5.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hmm... anyone else have this update just happen despite settings?

When I started to use my computer this morning, it was sluggish and the CPU was pegged, so I opened activity monitor and it was updating something. When I brought up the App Store, iTunes had switched from needing update to under the 'recently updated' and I was like... huh?

That's the first time I've ever had that happen. Was there something in here that Apple really needed to push out?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not a UI overhaul that most have been waiting years for...
Don't let anyone at Apple hear "UI overhaul". Every time they touch the UI it gets worse. Usually a combination of making features work, together with straightforward bugs.

Reactions: SteveW928

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Just like every previous version since 10.x it immediately started downloading hundreds of podcast episodes I've already listened to. Unlike the previous updates it persistently retried one particular episode over and over. I dunno how many times I've reported this bug.

The music part seems fine.

ScottyTheMenace

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2013
Can anyone confirm that 12.7.5 still supports iPhone 5 with iOS 10.3.3? I use it primarily to sync my 1600+ CD collection I have ripped to my Mac and also local backups.

Yeah it's an old phone, but it still works and I don't fancy spending a mortgage payment on a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.