Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Guess we'll have to wait for some new iPod software before the iTunes lyrics carry over to the iPod. As well the new folders only exist in iTunes and don't carry over to the iPod either.

bensiebro

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
Would someone please try Sharing their iTunes libraries between computers with iTunes 5? Ever since the update none of the computers see each other. Mac to Mac and Mac to PC are both not working. Tried 5 different machines.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
How hard is it for Apple to give iTunes anti-aliased corners like every single other window in OSX? As if the old jaggies weren't bad enough, now they've just given up and squared them off! (not consistent with any other style in OSX, including the new plastic-look Mail.app). Even something as custom and cross-platform as RealPlayer manages it.

In general I understand Apple motivation for adding this new style - brushed metal is getting overplayed, and for good reason generally since it allows custom controls and layouts to be integrated in a nicer way than with aqua - but I think it's really badly done. The only nicely done plastic app I've seen so far is Camino (Mail.app and this new iTunes are travesties)...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I still want the following:

• alarm-clock ability to wake from sleep and play iTunes for example
• sleep function
• fully functional undo option for all actions
• Sync option to sync Play Counts/Last played dates/etc. to/between the same song in different bit-rates. i.e. have Lossless at home and 192kbps on notebook or iPod
• more/higher quality radio stations
• when I search for a song highlight the playlists it is in
• Ability to lock playlists from accidental deletion or removing songs

Maybe in iLife 06...
:(

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Count me in as liking the new appearance. Not more than girls, but I like it. :)

I'm still not sure how the squared-off window settles with me yet, but if song lyrics are intended to be displayed there, then it makes sense.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I cant tell if its ugly or just different (I was so used to the 4.x). But right now Im thinking ugly.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
QuickTime 7

Since QuickTime 7 for Windows is out now, if I upgrade to iTunes 5, does that install QuickTime 7 as well? Or do I need to download it separately.

If someone can tell me that'd be cool so I can save the installer while I'm here at work on a fast connection.

fucanay

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
This is by far the best performance update iTunes has had. It now acts like an app on OS 9. Super snappy, everything just responds. If only the rest of the Apple apps had this much speed. And the iTMS is much easier to navigate too.

Good job Apple.

fucanay

geephore

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2001
SeaFox said:
Since QuickTime 7 for Windows is out now, if I upgrade to iTunes 5, does that install QuickTime 7 as well? Or do I need to download it separately.

If someone can tell me that'd be cool so I can save the installer while I'm here at work on a fast connection.

Yes, it installs QT with iTunes.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
bensiebro said:
Would someone please try Sharing their iTunes libraries between computers with iTunes 5? Ever since the update none of the computers see each other. Mac to Mac and Mac to PC are both not working. Tried 5 different machines.
Works sharing from iTunes 5 to an iTunes 4.9 install.
Installing iTunes 5 on the second machine now.

bensiebro

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
plinden said:
For me, it installed QT7.0.2 during the iTunes install.

It depends if you are using mac or windows .. windows users get it in a bundle, mac users get it separately.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The iTunes 5 interface looks very sleek and refined. Much less bulk than 4.9. I'm lovin' it. :D

Playlist folders. Yes!
Larger Display. Yes!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
bensiebro said:
Prepare for disappointment.
No disappointment here. Works fine.
But then I'm using Windows so it seems to just wor ... oops, wrong forum.

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
I'm liking the new look - you get more information on the minimized player, for one. So now that iTunes has a new look, does that mean it is now a Cocoa app instead of a Carbon one?

Also, question - with iTunes 4.9, you could add and play MPEG4 video files, that I know for a fact. But could you do it with non-MPEG4 MPEG files if QuickTime had the ability to play them? (For example, if you have the MPEG2 component installed.) I thought it would only do MP4 files, but now 5.0 is letting me add and play ANY MPEG files if I could already play them. No luck on other stuff even if QT will play it - AVIs, for example - but baby steps I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.