Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 5, bringing Java improvements for users running OS X Leopard.
Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 5 delivers improved reliability, security, and compatibility for Java SE 6, J2SE 5.0 and J2SE 1.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and later.

This release updates Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_15, J2SE 5.0 to version 1.5.0_20, and J2SE 1.4.2 to 1.4.2_22.
The update weighs in at 161.35 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 5

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
[sarcasm] OMG! Apple's still supporting 10.5 Leopard! I would've thought that Apple would've totally forgotten about it after it released Snow Leopard! [/sarcasm]

I hope this shows all those PPC users who whine about not being able to run Snow Leopard on their PPC computers will quiet them down a bit. While they might be able to run Snow Leopard, Apple still cares enough to make what they can run more stable. Not trying to flame, but all those complainers do get annoying after a while to be honest.

pete.d

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
It's safe to assume this update is included in Snow Leopard?
Well, sort of. My understanding is that Snow Leopard's Java is Java 1.6.0_15, which is the same Java 6 version provided with this update.

However, Snow Leopard has removed earlier versions of Java, so the Java 5 and Java 4 updates that are part of this update are not included in Snow Leopard (because the applicable Java versions themselves are not included).

ryguy2303

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2009
Well, sort of. My understanding is that Snow Leopard's Java is Java 1.6.0_15, which is the same Java 6 version provided with this update.

However, Snow Leopard has removed earlier versions of Java, so the Java 5 and Java 4 updates that are part of this update are not included in Snow Leopard (because the applicable Java versions themselves are not included).
I did my software update and it says I am up to date.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
[sarcasm] OMG! Apple's still supporting 10.5 Leopard! I would've thought that Apple would've totally forgotten about it after it released Snow Leopard! [/sarcasm]

I hope this shows all those PPC users who whine about not being able to run Snow Leopard on their PPC computers will quiet them down a bit. While they might be able to run Snow Leopard, Apple still cares enough to make what they can run more stable. Not trying to flame, but all those complainers do get annoying after a while to be honest.
Let's talk Tiger. Sold on brand new computers two years ago. Not supported today.

Demand five years of security updates!

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Let's talk Tiger. Sold on brand new computers two years ago. Not supported today.

Demand five years of security updates!
They do release Tiger versions of security updates. This is a Java update.

An aside - can anyone explain the numbering and different versions of Java listed here? It's never made sense to me.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
They do release Tiger versions of security updates. This is a Java update.

An aside - can anyone explain the numbering and different versions of Java listed here? It's never made sense to me.
So where is the Java update? The last 10.5 Java update was co-released with a version for Tiger.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007

I copied over Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 from a bootable Leopard disk to my internal HD with Snow Leopard. Apple's removal of Java 5 doesn't work for me. I have to support a Java 5 application that deploys to an AIX system that doesn't support Java 6. When the update came out today, I booted to the Leopard disk, did the update, rebooted to Snow Leopard and copied over Java 1.4.2 and Java 5 again. I doubt I'll need jdk 1.4.2 again, but I have it just in case.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
So where is the Java update? The last 10.5 Java update was co-released with a version for Tiger.
This one hopefully fixes a few issues the last update for 10.5 Java broke... the last 10.4 Java update was clean from everything I have seen.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I copied over Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 from a bootable Leopard disk to my internal HD with Snow Leopard. Apple's removal of Java 5 doesn't work for me. I have to support a Java 5 application that deploys to an AIX system that doesn't support Java 6. When the update came out today, I booted to the Leopard disk, did the update, rebooted to Snow Leopard and copied over Java 1.4.2 and Java 5 again. I doubt I'll need jdk 1.4.2 again, but I have it just in case.
Do you know how I choose which version of Java is used when I start a .jar?

I have one program that refuses to run...

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Alas, they still didn't fix the iconification issue in 1.6, despite me filing a bug report and actually talking to the Apple engineer....sigh...

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Do you know how I choose which version of Java is used when I start a .jar?

I have one program that refuses to run...
Run Java Preferences (in the Utilities folder). If you are on Snow Leopard, the only choices are Java 6 32bit and Java 6 64bit (unless you add other versions like I did).

pohl

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
Is there even much profit to be had in going after a minority demographic so tight-fisted that they won't even upgrade their operating system? The support costs and market fragmentation can't be worth it. Better to piss them off; maybe they'll get the hint and go away.

Oh, I forgot: they are a vocal minority. That's why. ;)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Is there even much profit to be had in going after a minority demographic so tight-fisted that they won't even upgrade their operating system? ...
I have to agree.

I mean come on, upgrading to Leopard was only $129. If you don't want to spring for that over the course of two years, then your complaints really don't have much ground. I personally don't want Apple to expend resources on Tiger.

I still use Windows XP. I have no expectations for continued support.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Is there even much profit to be had in going after a minority demographic so tight-fisted that they won't even upgrade their operating system? The support costs and market fragmentation can't be worth it. Better to piss them off; maybe they'll get the hint and go away.

Oh, I forgot: they are a vocal minority. That's why. ;)
They may be a minority now, but if Apple wants to make inroads into the arguably profitable enterprise market, they'll need to extend those times. There's a reason RedHat Enterprise Linux has a 7 year support cycle and Microsoft still patches an OS from 8 years ago - when large companies make images and standardize on a hardware environment, it can be painful to migrate. (If it wasn't, we wouldn't have to worry so much about all the IE6 users in the world...)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
They may be a minority now, but if Apple wants to make inroads into the arguably profitable enterprise market, ...
Is that Apple's mission? Seems to me they're more interested in the consumer and creative professionals market, more than the enterprise market, despite adding Exchange support in Snow Leopard.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Yeah. If you open up Terminal and type
Code:
java -version
it should say 1.6.0_15 which is this update.
Just updated, and java -version says:-

build 1.5.0_20-b02-315

so why am I still on 1.5xxxx? Do i have to install 1.6 000(whatever!) and update from there?

Or doesn't it actually matter too much?

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Just updated, and java -version says:-

build 1.5.0_20-b02-315

so why am I still on 1.5xxxx? Do i have to install 1.6 000(whatever!) and update from there?

Or doesn't it actually matter too much?
To have Java 6 at all you either need to have a Core 2 Duo on Leopard, or be on Snow Leopard.

IOW: Core Duos only get Java 6 with Snow Leopard. PPC Macs don't get it at all.

Otherwise, bring up Java Preferences and see if it's there.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Is that Apple's mission? Seems to me they're more interested in the consumer and creative professionals market, more than the enterprise market, despite adding Exchange support in Snow Leopard.
I dunno. I'm just some schmuck on a Mac fan site. On the client side, the VPN and Exchange support seem to indicate that they're at least not completely ignoring it. And given that tools like Apple Remote Desktop make managing a large number of clients easily, the desire shows, even if it's only being marketed to enterprise customers via a more "grassroots" approach. In other words, they're enabling it, but not pushing it.

On the server side, however, internally here we've stayed away from the Xserve and Mac Pro-as-server choices. Frankly, you can get something so much more affordable, and longer supported, from Dell or HP. Sure, OS X server will be much easier to administer in a simple environment, but in a more complex one, it quickly loses its advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.