MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has released a new seed update to developers running the latest versions of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard via Mac OS X's Software Update mechanism.

The 9A557/9A559 Seed Update includes fixes to wireless networking and RAW image viewing in the latest development build of Mac OS X Leopard. The update is also being used to test new features with in the Software Update mechanism itself.

Apple seeded 9A559 to developers 10 days ago, which introduced a number of bug fixes and user interface tweaks. Today's update does not change the Leopard seed number.

Apple had previously announced that it was going to be releasing Leopard in October, but no specific release date has been set.

Article Link

Retired
May 16, 2006
I can't wait for Leopard...it really seems to be shaping up to be a solid OS :)

Comment

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
A good indication of how close they are is the fact that they have warned Boot Camp users that it will expire at the end of the month. If they weren't sure of how close they were there would be a Boot Camp update that gives everyone an extra 30 days before it expires.

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Is it common practice for :apple: to not increment the seed number on releases? As a developer, everything that leaves the farm, so to speak, gets the build number incremented. Perhaps this also points to GM shortly.

Or maybe there is some numerology going on with 559 and Steve's RDF.

Comment

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I'm sure Steve said October 2008 because they have the rest of the world to release the iPhone in yet and that's not tabled until sometime next year. :rolleyes:

Comment

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Is it common practice for :apple: to not increment the seed number on releases?

They don't need to increment the build number because the update was released through Software Update.

I'm thinking 559 is the GM because it's really too late to seed another build and wait for feedback. If anything they will do one more build to change the build number and send it off for duplication without external testing.

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
They don't need to increment the build number because the update was released through Software Update.

I'm thinking 559 is the GM because it's really too late to seed another build and wait for feedback. If anything they will do one more build to change the build number and send it off for duplication without external testing.

Ah, right, got it! Thanks!

And yeah, they could GM it and put anything else that needs to be changed into software update for when people install from the CD. Why didn't I think of that sooner...like there won't be any updates....HA!:rolleyes:

Hope this includes support for the new Sony Alpha 700. Just got one today.

And hopefully the Canon 40D! :D

Comment

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Total BS

All of the great OS level changes that were supposed to come with Leopard are conspicuously absent. No ZFS and no resolution independent UI means that the two most revolutionary features with the most implications for the future of the platform are gone. I was seriously excited about Leopard, but every day that we get closer to gold master means that these will not be in there.

The other things, Spaces, even time warp can be done as applications sitting on top of the OS (well time warp would require some kind of version control like svn but still, it's not nearly as great as having a display of incredible resolution that won't require that my old man eyes have to be 1 inch away from the screen).

Unless the surprise feature is an iPhone SDK, a crippled Leopard won't save apple from the whole bad decision iceberg that is smashing into their titanic.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.