Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not that impressed with the App Store, mainly because there aren't very many apps at all.. I had higher expectations I guess.. hopefully we'll see more..

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
ah, the grammar police is here ....

Did it ever come to your mind that not everyone on this forum is a native english speaker? :eek: Don't know for his case, but at least you were able to understand what he meant.

I think Steve Jobs is a native english speaker. :p

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Bejeweled 3 for $19.99 ??? Not sure if I am spoiled by the iPhone/iPad prices but that seems to be way too much and from the screenshots it looks like just a blown up version of Bejeweled from the iPhone.
It's the same price on Steam.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Bought WeatherHD, installed without a hitch, but the app doesn't work too well. Looks like they just took their iPad version and dumped it on the Mac. It reports that I don't have an Internet connection (LOL), and the screen is covered by a tutorial that won't go away. I'm going to wait a few weeks before I buy anything more to let developers work the bugs out on their apps, and for more reviews to show up before I make any more blind buys.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
What happens when you actually click on a "buy" icon. It is one-click ordering (which I hate) or does it bring you to a confirmation page before charging you?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'd like to see it go quite the other way. Take the music store out of iTunes and stick a Music section in this new store app. Or for that matter, have a separate Music Store app, like on the iPhone.

Then iTunes can get back to being just about your library. Maybe even take the whole iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing aspect out of it and make another program that handles syncing and mobile app management. Then iTunes becomes an ancillary program to that, like iPhoto is to iTunes now.

Yeah, I'd kind of like 3 programs.

1) The iTunes App - Manages all media that aren't photos - Contains music and movie store for shopping/downloading/renting.

2) The App App - Manage your Mac apps and iOS apps. Buy them, organize them, love them.

3) The Mobile Sync App - Syncs your iPhones, iPods, and iPads. Sees and talks to iTunes, the App app, iPhoto/Aperture, Address Book, and Mail to bring stuff into your phone. Contains even more controls than iTunes does now...for example...use it to set up wireless G-Mail Exchange on your iPhone! (No more googling up instructions online and having to do it on the phone.) Or run 'Find My Phone' right inside of it instead of going to the website. Once it's out of iTunes they can make this bigger and more complicated without having to keep it bottled up in one little part of a bigger program.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I was holding out on iLife '11 so that I could buy iPhoto separately... but now Apple has to confuse me by giving a great deal on Aperture!!! Does anyone know how well Aperture will run on a MacBook (white plastic model)? I have a master iPhoto library on there... I hate decisions!

Enigmah

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I'm not that impressed with the App Store, mainly because there aren't very many apps at all.. I had higher expectations I guess.. hopefully we'll see more..

Think back to the ios app store launch, Same story.

I'm more concerned about the mac app store getting filled with vast amounts of garbage apps, I hope that skinny rat (steve jobs) does something about it !

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Probably means that Aperture 3.5/4.0 is on the way. For $199.

Look at what Pixelmator has done. Moved its operation to the Appstore and now no more upgrades (despite what Pixelmator promised on the website) unless you pay for the app again.

Meh. I got it in a bundle. Thankfully, I got Adobe PE 9.0 for £23 at Xmas. Bye, bye Pixelmator.

I was pretty much going to write this post. Exactly the same here, and loving Photoshop Elements 9. I also got Pixelmator in a bundle and think their disregard for the userbase is terrible! Interesting that we allegedly get all the updates, but 1.6.2 is the current release, and 1.6.4 is the release in the App Store...

The App Store has recognised I have Delicious Library 2, but not Enigmo 2 or TextWrangler.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was holding out on iLife '11 so that I could buy iPhoto separately... but now Apple has to confuse me by giving a great deal on Aperture!!! Does anyone know how well Aperture will run on a MacBook (white plastic model)? I have a master iPhoto library on there... I hate decisions!

If you have at least 4GB of RAM, Aperture will run great. It doesn't run well on 2GB of less of RAM. I speak from experience; Aperture was near-useless when I used it with 2GB of RAM.

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
I find it very annoying to be forced to open itunes to get more information. How is this possible if they always talk about everything being webbased but still asking us to open the itunes in order to get information about an app.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Clever Apple.

So i copied one of the Apps i bought, onto a USB drive and stuck it one of the guys Macs upstairs, he tried to launch it and it asked him to confirm MY app store login details.

Nice. Clever. Would be a massive flaw if you could simply copy them over!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I want Logic 9 express!!!

Otherwise awesome:cool:. Apple setting standards again.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Cool news!

Shame App Store requires SL though...

Still on 10.5 here and have no intention of upgrading just for this...

Oh well - this all can wait as far as I am concerned :)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Clever Apple.

So i copied one of the Apps i bought, onto a USB drive and stuck it one of the guys Macs upstairs, he tried to launch it and it asked him to confirm MY app store login details.

Nice. Clever. Would be a massive flaw if you could simply copy them over!

The cool thing is, you can use it on any Mac that has your iTunes login info entered. So if you own 10 Mac's, you only have to buy an App once.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I have an update request (already): I need to be able to set set a price limit to ensure that the store checks that I want to purchase an item even if I am already logged in. I don't want to accidentally buy the £299.99 version of iStopMotion instead of the £29.99 one.

Anyone made a mistake yet? Surely they thought of that? Didn't they?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was skeptical about this store, but man, this thing is gorgeous and slick. I wonder if Apple will consider breaking the iOS App Store away from iTunes and integrating it with the Mac App Store in OS X Lion. Of course, still having to use iTunes to sync your iOS devices would make that pointless.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Got it working

So I finally got my mobile me / existing apple id to work. Here is what I am finding.

SERVERS ARE GETTING HAMMERED!!!! My downloads are slow and taking forever.

Here is what I don't like so far. I am a stickler for backing up my stuff. Looks like my time machine backups just became even more important and my only source. Unlike ipad/iphone apps that put an ipa in your "user/music/itunes/mobile applications" folder, which you can burn to CD/DVD manually or backup using itunes backup (I do that once ever couple of months). Looks like there is no way to backup the package that is downloaded for your apps from the mac app store. I cannot find the download anywhere. If someone does find them, send me an email (this thread is getting a way to long to search through). These apps are expensive and I would like to have more than just my time machine backup (hard drives do still fail).

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I was skeptical about this store, but man, this thing is gorgeous and slick. I wonder if Apple will consider breaking the iOS App Store away from iTunes and integrating it with the Mac App Store in OS X Lion. Of course, still having to use iTunes to sync your iOS devices would make that pointless.

I really wish they would break the iOS store away from iTunes to this. I would much prefer to browse through iOS apps using this instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.