Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Happy to see all the people who like the MAS who thought it would be awful. Hopefully a lot of good apps come to it and we'd still be able to access apps that we want that aren't on it.
This is where I am, as well. One more route to find and enjoy new software is nice. Instead of locking anything down, it opens up a new possibility. I've been impressed already.

GeoffShoulders

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2004
If only....

...there was a opportunity to purchase 10.6 as an upgrade from 10.5. Looks like I still have to buy a boxed, physical copy of 10.6.

Failed opportunity to upsell Apple...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
...their downloading is going super-slow, which is unusual for Apple. Maybe they are loaded with purchasers.

If they lake their $200 'express' type programs $79 for download, they are essentially kicking the PC and software makers' balls. Why would someone own some jacked-down priced PC just to buy tons of jacked-up price software? Macs cost a bit up front, but the non-pro software is darn cheap.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Not Working

I have not taken the time to read the 190 comments so far on this thread. but it is not working for me.

Tells me, I have not used my apple id for itunes yet. Bull.. I have over 200 iphone/ipad apps and 960 items downloaded from itunesU. It takes me to the Enter Apple ID details. then it proceeds to tell me that I cannot use my existing mobile me email account, and if I already have one - to cancel and sign in using that. Ok I did, displays the same message that I have not used my id and takes me to the same edit details to tell me I cannot use my existing mobile me and to sign in with my mobile me.

Arg...

Will go back to browsing and try to download later, when they fix it.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Ha, install day!

First I had to install the Keynotes, Garage Band and Remote updates, then 10.6.6 showed up in "Software Updates". Update (170 MB afair) run perfectly smooth as usual on my old MBP w 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (the first one with LED backlit bought 6/2007). Short update time (less than ten minutes).

New Mac App Store works well, downloaded some free stuff. Some of the apps I own don't shop up as "installed". "Old" iTunes App Store works as well, iPhone/iPad sync okay.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Questions and comments...

1) Does "install" still have the same meaning -- just an icon (a packaged application) in the Applications folder that can be moved, if I so desire?
2) Does "uninstall" still have the same meaning -- throw icon in trash.
(Those 2 points are VERY important. If they have become more iOS like, that is a bad thing.)
3) Those complaining about needing Snow Leopard need to stop complaining. $30 for SL. If you have PPC, well then you bought your last computer in 2006. Welcome to 2011.

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
some people bring it up that microsoft will take this idea and put it in windows 8, it was revealed months and months ago before apple announced the mac os x store that they were putting a app store in windows 8...

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
:( I'm hoping for 10.5 support soon. I wouldn't mind updating to 10.6 but been holding out.

Its like $25 to upgrade to SL...you'd be stupid if you actually thought Apple will support old operating systems when the new one is so cheap to buy...

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Same here. This is disappointing. It means that we will only be notified of updates for apps that were purchased thru the app store, even though it clearly recognizes apps that you have installed outside the app store.

Lets wait ... since it recognizes that it is installed it still might inform you about updates. Might be some stupid legal reason that they can't show it in the "purchased" since it was not purchased through the AppStore ... still keeping my fingers crossed for update notifications.

Do I have to fire up the AppStore to get update notifications (like it is with iOS apps on iTunes) or will it automatically check in the background?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
How is Aperture 3 so much better than iPhoto 11?

There's a world of difference between the two applications. Aperture is a professional-level tool that allows you to manage, organize, and edit your photos with complete control and ease of use. The difference between the two programs is like night and day.

Bryan

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Questions and comments...

1) Does "install" still have the same meaning -- just an icon (a packaged application) in the Applications folder that can be moved, if I so desire?
2) Does "uninstall" still have the same meaning -- throw icon in trash.
(Those 2 points are VERY important. If they have become more iOS like, that is a bad thing.)
3) Those complaining about needing Snow Leopard need to stop complaining. $30 for SL. If you have PPC, well then you bought your last computer in 2006. Welcome to 2011.

(1) and (2): YES. And it is for *all* apps installed through the AppStore, no more messy hand crafted installers that distribute stuff all over the place.

bully worm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Im interested in knowing what bugs and stability problems are fixed in this update. Anyone have any info on it?

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Probably means that Aperture 3.5/4.0 is on the way. For $199.

Look at what Pixelmator has done. Moved its operation to the Appstore and now no more upgrades (despite what Pixelmator promised on the website) unless you pay for the app again.

Meh. I got it in a bundle. Thankfully, I got Adobe PE 9.0 for £23 at Xmas. Bye, bye Pixelmator.

huh? I think you might be mistaken. You still get free upgrades for all the 1.xx stuff from pixelmator. Just from 2.0 on they will be moving to the app store. Even if they didn't do that, you STILL would need to pay for 2.0 as it's basically a new program, just like adobe, or any other company does when they release big updates.

From 2.0 on they will be appstore only purchases though.... the reason being they are trying to eliminate the serial numbers and piracy issues... not sure this will help, but it's a start. I'm sure it'll be just as easy.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Lets wait ... since it recognizes that it is installed it still might inform you about updates. Might be some stupid legal reason that they can't show it in the "purchased" since it was not purchased through the AppStore ... still keeping my fingers crossed for update notifications.

Do I have to fire up the AppStore to get update notifications (like it is with iOS apps on iTunes) or will it automatically check in the background?

I'm willing to bet you have to open it to show the updates. Just a guess though. Also hoping that apps bought outside the App Store update, would be much easier.

wildpod

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
I have a retail DVD installed version of iWork 09 apps installed and the App Store does not show these apps as "Installed" like it does my iLife and other apps. Wonder what's up.

iWorks is installed in the /Applications/iWork '09/ folder.

I have both as well, and they both say installed.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Not at all impressed. Nothing now, will pass through a phase of being useful, then will be filled with untold amounts of crap apps and nearly unnavigable.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
I can't download anything I get an error =/
20seyr9.png

Im getting exactly this. Im in the UK.

Anyone else experiencing this, any solutions?

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews and Ratings

I am a little disappointed that I can't review or rate apps I own unless I purchased them from the App Store. The App Store recognizes that I have Pages installed on my machine, but it won't let me rate it or review it. Lame.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
ok, I admit, I didn't read the full update to the thread - seems it is picking it up also for other apps

Can you confirm iWork shows up as 'installed' for you? Odd that it doesn't for myself and others here? Wonder why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.