Apple Releases MacBook Air Software Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bobsaget611, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bobsaget611 macrumors member

Its finally here ran software update and this is now available and says:

This update is recommended for all MacBook Air computers, and addresses issues with video playback and processor core idling. Third-party software that modifies processor operating characteristics such as frequency and voltage is not supported and should be removed before installing this update.

2. shrtmkr macrumors regular

OMG, is this real :) I will report right back as soon as I install the update.

I AM HAVING A CORE SHUTDOWN AS I TYPE RIGHT NOW!

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well I have been fortunate enough not to have seen a core shutdown, but this is good news (if it works).

4. ducatidoc macrumors regular

ducatidoc

honestly, regardless of if it works or not i am still going to CL my 1st gen mba in a few weeks for these new penryns due out any day... am REALLY hoping that apple has put these past 200+ days to good use in their engineering dept and worked out all of the kinks.

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Just updated!!

w00t going to try it out now, if nothing im going to get some AS3 tomorrow

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ooh, must call father to tell him to update… he only updates when I tell him :rolleyes: He's not exactly a computer wiz.

EDIT:

Only 83KB?! I didn't know that was still possible!

7. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Releases MacBook Air Software Update

[​IMG]

Apple today released MacBook Air Update, addressing issues with video playback and processor core idling.

The update weighs in at 368 KB and requires OS X 10.5.4.

Article Link

8. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Will this stop the BS one core at 100%, the other core at zero, and the computer turning into a useless $3000 doorstop until you shut it down, take a walk around the block and boot back up? :-/

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

No. It'll fix the whiny users that are about as intelligent as a door stop. Happy?

10. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Well at only 368K I am guessing it is modifying OS X and not the actual firmware.

11. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Knew I'd get a quote like that, just knew it. Serves me right for posting anything remotely negative...

12. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Ouch harsh! lol

Personaly I haven't experienced this 'shutsown'thing, but anything that stops repeated threads about it is a good thing....

13. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

"Third-party software that modifies processor operating characteristics such as frequency and voltage is not supported and should be removed before installing this update."

What I want to know is what software that is so I can install it immediately.

Rocketman

14. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its coolbook. Furthermore, it seems to be on the OS level and not the firmware level because installing 10.6 doesn't give core shutdowns even passing over 100 deg C.

Edit, I installed this patch and it seems to be keeping my CPU pretty cool even with youtube running.

16. lidomkj macrumors regular

I do not know if this was fixed as part of my repair by apple or if it was the download, but I just watched an entire movie in iTunes without any problems, temps hovered at 58* without any stutter or core shutdown.

I was not able to do that before and this is the first movie I watched that was over 2 hours since the repair and just installed the update tonight.

Thought I would share.

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

This update just changes 2 files.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

18. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I deactivated coolbook to install this...my temps immediately shut up 10 degrees after reboot!

this happen to anyone else?

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Im at 71 deg C right now with 6200rpm fan. Im connected to a external monitor while running internal and booting up vista in vmware fusion. So far, the temps aren't going any more higher then with coolbook enabled for me.

Edit: oh, and im on youtube on the external screen. my cpu is at 100% both cores but no shut downs and my temps aren't going above 75 deg C. Its actually down to 69 now.

Edit 2: I believe this patch has fixed the core shutdowns. I cannot get the core to shutdown no matter what I do and I've pegged the CPU to 100% for nearly 5 minutes now.

Edit 3: Okay, apparently, the fix is just to fix the core shutdown, however, you basically run at a 0.8GHz CPU to prevent overheating. Using the MSR Tools from this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=459306

You can test it out yourself. I'm running at 50% (0.80GHz) instead of 1.60GHz but my cores don't shutdown.

20. mac jones macrumors 68040

Wow.. seems sort of specific.

They even mention Coolbook. (indirectly)

perhaps I won't need that any longer :D

21. ducatidoc macrumors regular

ducatidoc

so basically we now have 800MHz core duo's? no performance beyond 800 MHz at all?

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It drops to 800MHz when you're maxing the system out and pushing it onto the brink of overheating. After I closed off youtube I was able to get 75% speed back until my temps reached low enough until i got 100% throttle back

23. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

my temps are high but no shutdowns...this update definitely addresses the core shutdown issue...job well done Apple?

24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

The only way to test this is Logic Studio and play the tutorial file, Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko (the 5.1 version to a sound card)

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

or you can just run "yes" in terminal. there's many ways to create a core shutdown. It appears that Apple has fixed this problem