Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update With Telugu Crash Fix

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, which comes approximately one month after the first version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, an update that offered fixes for the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities discovered in early January.

The new macOS High Sierra update can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

Today's update addresses a bug that causes apps like Messages to crash due to an inability to render a character in the Indian language Telugu. When sent or received, the character in question can cause an app like Messages or Safari to freeze up and become unresponsive.

There's also a separate macOS High Sierra 10.13.13 Supplemental Update for iMac Pros, which is designed to fix the Telugu bug on those machines.

Prior to today's update, the only fix in an app like Messages was to delete the entire conversation containing the buggy character. The update also impacted iOS 11.2.5, and Apple also released a new iOS 11.2.6 update to fix it.

Apple previously addressed the Telugu character bug in iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4, but those updates are still in beta testing and won't be released until the spring. Apple last week promised a minor update to fix the bugs in the meantime.

Update: Apple released a second supplementary update for the iMac Pro in late February as iMac Pro users were not able to install the update.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update With Telugu Crash Fix

Populus

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
I can imagine that fix will take some time, even if it's high priority.

i just hope APFS will be polished enough with the launch of 10.14, because as you said, the file system is a high priority part of the operating system.

It would be nice to have it well optimized for mechanical hard drives and fusion drives as well.

Comment

star-affinity

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
i just hope APFS will be polished enough with the launch of 10.14, because as you said, the file system is a high priority part of the operating system.

It would be nice to have it well optimized for mechanical hard drives and fusion drives as well.
I hope (dare I say think?) it will be good before 10.14, but I guess maybe you're right it will take that long. :)

Reactions: Populus
Comment

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I think I will let some other people install this and see how it turns out for them before installing it on my machines. I know it is a very minor update, however, with the way Apple QC has been...well, that speaks for itself.

:apple:

Comment

tschunde

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
This update ****ed up my MacBook Pro: it said missing OSInstall.mpkg

And I had to reinstall the whole system.

Comment

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Early January and the fix issued in the third week of February six weeks

Yet more evidence that Apple no longer regard software as important.

Apple are wasting too much time and resources on products such as the HomePod to care about the things that matter!
[doublepost=1519077877][/doublepost]
Yep, I just saw it on the updates. Unfortunately, no fix for APFS sparsebundle image volume bug so far...
Don't hold your breath it took six weeks for Apple to release a fix for this bug.

Last edited:
Comment

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
So the 5 people in the world that have even created a sparse bundle APFS image won't be impacted. This is a super niche bug.
That may be the case but the report of the bug comes from Bombich developers of Carbon Copy Cloner who are a highly respected source so cannot be ignored.
Apple should place releasing a fix for the APFS bug as High Priority no matter how few it impacts on.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Stupid question: Was macOS 10.12 (Sierra) also affected by this bug? And if yes, do you think we'll get an update for it and/or how critical could this become if people kept spamming, eg, Twitter with it?
[doublepost=1519078774][/doublepost]
That may be the case but the report of the bug comes from Bombich developers of Carbon Copy Cloner who are a highly respected source so cannot be ignored.
Apple should place releasing a fix for the APFS bug as High Priority no matter how few it impacts on.
I'd wager a guess that the character bug was significantly easier to fix. Also any change they apply to the file system needs to be extremely thoroughly tested. And it is not as if Apple has dozens of guys working on the file system. Even if they wanted, they couldn't increase the resources working on the file system bug arbitrarily, only the people who currently or recently worked on the file system would be fully qualified.

Point being, I think most people would expect that fixing a bug in the file system will take significantly longer than fixing a character bug (and we don't even know when Apple was first notified of the character bug).

Comment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Bombich works in a very small niche. I know, I've worked in it far longer than he has and he even took the approach to drive copying we pioneered and integrated it into his product.

This is a highly specialized bug. It's unlikely to impact even 0.001% of users. It won't be prioritized for that reason. This text character bug on the other hand, is being exploited across social media, AdWords, and other areas which impact far far far more people. There's a real priority there.
[doublepost=1519078932][/doublepost]
Stupid question: Was macOS 10.12 (Sierra) also affected by this bug? And if yes, do you think we'll get an update for it and/or how critical could this become if people kept spamming, eg, Twitter with it?

No it was not. APFS wasn't added until High Sierra so it's not even possible to work with the required disk image which the bug impacts.
[doublepost=1519079026][/doublepost]
I'd wager a guess that the character bug was significantly easier to fix. Also any change they apply to the file system needs to be extremely thoroughly tested. And it is not as if Apple has dozens of guys working on the file system. Even if they wanted, they couldn't increase the resources working on the file system bug arbitrarily, only the people who currently or recently worked on the file system would be fully qualified.

Point being, I think most people would expect that fixing a bug in the file system will take significantly longer than fixing a character bug (and we don't even know when Apple was first notified of the character bug).

It's not a fix to the file system that's required. It's an issue with a specific type of disk image, when formatted for a particular file system. It's a fairly simple fix to set the file size constraints for such disk images. A fix is coming soon.

Comment

ThomasJL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
Are there ever Combo Updates for Supplemental Updates? If so, does anyone here have a link to the Combo Update for this Supplemental Update?

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
No it was not. APFS wasn't added until High Sierra so it's not even possible to work with the required disk image which the bug impacts.
Sierra does support APFS, although Sierra will not boot from an APFS disk.
[doublepost=1519080965][/doublepost]
Are there ever Combo Updates for Supplemental Updates? If so, does anyone here have a link to the Combo Update for this Supplemental Update?
That’s not a thing that exists. You’ll need to install the supplemental update after installing 10.13.3.

Reactions: ThomasJL
Comment

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I can imagine that fix will take some time, even if it's high priority.

Probably not; as I mentioned in the dedicated thread on that topic, it's a silent error which should be a loud error. Not to trivialise the issue, but as potential filesystem bugs go, that's a breeze.

I think you are overplaying a single, minor bug. APFS is fine - there are hundreds of millions of people who have been using APFS for their critical data-storage needs for about a year, and we're not hearing about widespread data-corruption or anything.

The one thing I have noticed, is that these minor bugs are getting much more publicity than they used to. I don't think Apple's software has gotten worse overall; there are always better and less-excellent releases of any software. It's just that every minor bug appears to be an urgent catastrophe for some people. You have never used a piece of software with no bugs, I promise.

Comment

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
Frozen after restart. Stuck in ‘Installation is in progress’. Broke my Mac. **** Tim Cook and his quality control.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.