Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you. I wonder if I download High Sierra again form the Mac App Store and make another install USB, it will install that new build.
I haven't seen Apple roll a supplemental update into an App Store installer.

Reactions: Populus

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Last time my bran new MacBook 15 2017 updates itself last month it couldn’t restart!!! Saying the update is corrupted or something, spent hours to factory reset my Mac OS system. So scary it was never happening with windows 10 or 8... Apple seems to have been busy with maximizing the profit and build the ring and left their promises aside. See the homepod
[doublepost=1519098457][/doublepost]
I think I will let some other people install this and see how it turns out for them before installing it on my machines. I know it is a very minor update, however, with the way Apple QC has been...well, that speaks for itself.

:apple:
Perfectly right... Apple QC these days is
Frightening really. My brand new MacBook 2015 crashed last month on automatic update. I restarted the laptop few days after without knowing the system updated and the system was lost!! Had to factory reset MacOS!!
For me they really left over the Mac for
Their Animoji AR and other. Really sad

Reactions: nt5672 and Marekul

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
All I can say is after this update my Photos app with nearly 1tb of photos/videos loads lightning fast on my 3TB Fusion Drive. It never was like that before. Literally the whole system feels faster and not in my head as my wife asked me what I did to speed it up.

BraytonAK

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Looks like I've finally been bit by Apple's lack of software quality. Now that I've installed the update, kernel_task has elevated CPU usage. For over an hour it was pegged at 100% or more with spikes every ten to fifteen seconds. The system couldn't even shut down. It's finally elevated at 10% after a forced shutdown, but that's still too high.

I would love to see macOS 10.14 and iOS 12 offering "No New Updates" (say that in a certain presidential voice regarding taxes.) We don't need more features. We need the things we already have to be reliable and work as intended. I haven't installed this update on my phone, but I'm damn sure I'm skipping it. This crap makes me want to march into that spaceship that I helped pay for and sling my devices into the wall.

Reactions: Marekul and Morod

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Probably not; as I mentioned in the dedicated thread on that topic, it's a silent error which should be a loud error. Not to trivialise the issue, but as potential filesystem bugs go, that's a breeze.

So you think it might get a fix with (or before) the 10.13.4 update then? I was just thinking that it might require quite some testing before doing a filesystem change. And perhaps the bug isn't easy to find since it wasn't discovered until recently. Good thing that Mr Bombich has reported it and that it seems relatively easy to reproduce consistently.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Last time my bran new MacBook 15 2017 updates itself last month it couldn’t restart!!! Saying the update is corrupted or something, spent hours to factory reset my Mac OS system. So scary it was never happening with windows 10 or 8...

Not that this makes it any better, but I work with PCs all the time and Windows updates very easily cause Windows not to boot. WAY more frequently than on Macs.

Hope you now use Time Machine Backups--it would really save you a lot of time and trouble.

tribaltek

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Installed this morning on my base iMac Pro. Upon reboot got the following message - "The version of MacOS on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled". I had to boot into recovery mode and change the secure boot settings to No Security, then restart for the installation to finish.

Hope that helps any other iMac Pro owners that run into this.

Reactions: Synchro3

shuttersny

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
Over two hours now and the update still hasn't finished installing. WTF?

This was pretty much my experieince
I did a forced restart
Restored machine from weekly clone and automatic hourly Time Machine backups
I won't go near this supplemental update till I see some remedy
I've used Macs since 1983
Do regular "maintenance"
First "update" that I had any issue with
Does this say something?

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Installed this morning on my base iMac Pro. Upon reboot got the following message - "The version of MacOS on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled". I had to boot into recovery mode and change the secure boot settings to No Security, then restart for the installation to finish.

Hope that helps any other iMac Pro owners that run into this.

Seeing these kinds of issues makes me worried about updating my 2017 macbook pro laptop..never read issues like this before..is there something I need to do in advance of updating to ensure that this does NOT happen or is just the luck of the draw..like windows updates, some have issues some dont

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Looks like I've finally been bit by Apple's lack of software quality. Now that I've installed the update, kernel_task has elevated CPU usage. For over an hour it was pegged at 100% or more with spikes every ten to fifteen seconds. The system couldn't even shut down. It's finally elevated at 10% after a forced shutdown, but that's still too high.

I would love to see macOS 10.14 and iOS 12 offering "No New Updates" (say that in a certain presidential voice regarding taxes.) We don't need more features. We need the things we already have to be reliable and work as intended. I haven't installed this update on my phone, but I'm damn sure I'm skipping it. This crap makes me want to march into that spaceship that I helped pay for and sling my devices into the wall.

Years ago, we updated as soon as possible. Today we wait months after Apple releases. It seems that the only things Apple focuses on are the shiny UI bits that Cook understands and Ive wants. They needs someone in charge that understands technology.

Reactions: BraytonAK

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Yep, I just saw it on the updates. Unfortunately, no fix for APFS sparsebundle image volume bug so far...

According to Dave Nanian (SuperSuper! author/programmer), this volume bug isn't new.

"This looks to be another manifestation of a problem we've known about for years (and documented in the User's Guide back in 2006): when an image can't grow, whether due to disk full errors, or because the host volume doesn't support large files (eg FAT32/EXT2), writes to that image can fail catastrophically."

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/practices_make_perfect_backups/

Reactions: Populus

calcasmy

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2018

Do any of you know what the character string in question is... I speak Telugu and am curious to know.​

mschmalenbach

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
This is the first update I've ever had issues with too - I recall doing a full blown 10.5 to 10.6 upgrade IIRC whilst in the departure lounge at London Heathrow Airport!!! I'd never do that again today...

The supplemental update stalled - I had to manually reboot - then it seemed to complete OK.

To my problem - since doing the supplemental update 2 days ago, iMovie now crashes on starting up - every time. I even downloaded the latest 10.3.3 full 5.x Gb full image and did a complete new install over the existing install - nothing.

iMovie still won't boot for me - I do actually rely on it for simple editing of short videos... now I'm somewhat stuck looking for an alternative that doesn't require a PhD to understand, and 5 days to master even the simplest of tasks & functions...

:(

I have a brand new MacBook Pro retina 15 inch very very top of the line in RAM and CPU etc...

EDIT - after a reboot and seemingly, nothing else, my Mac is now reporting that I need to install the supplemental update 10.13.3... and iMovie is now working without issue... :eek:

It's reporting MacOS build 17D47...

So, I'll wait on doing the update again!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.