Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 14.5.1 and watchOS 7.4.1, Apple today also released macOS Big Sur 11.3.1, which the company says "provides important security updates".

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Purple.jpg

According to the full security notes for the release, it addresses a memory corruption issue and an integer overflow in WebKit that could both be exploited using maliciously crafted web content. Apple says it aware of a report that these issues may have been actively exploited, so users are advised to upgrade immediately.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 With Fixes for WebKit Security Issues

Last edited:

raywkh14

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Any people having problems with audio connected to external monitor? I have a LG monitor connected to a macbook pro 2018 model using a USB-C cable and whenever I start playing a video, there is always an initial silence for about 2 seconds. And this always happen after there is a silence for 10 seconds.

Comment

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68030
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Big Sur 11.3 appears to have corrupted my 4TB G-drive:

I learned a big lesson. I am going to get the drive replaced under warranty, but will get a separate external drive just for my M1, because it looks like there are some serious issue with Big Sur and M1 Macs where it likes to corrupt external devices.

Comment

Lihp8270

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2016
Big Sur 11.3 appears to have corrupted my 4TB G-drive:

I learned a big lesson. I am going to get the drive replaced under warranty, but will get a separate external drive just for my M1, because it looks like there are some serious issue with Big Sur and M1 Macs where it likes to corrupt external devices.
Any other sources for your claims of the OS corrupting external drives other than citing your own post?

Your other post sounds more like a hardware problem.

Reactions: TiggrToo
Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I got a notice right after updating that the "Amazon Music App" is dangerous and will damage my computer and that I should move it to the Trash! WTH! Since I never use it anyway, I did move it to the trash but WTH?

• Wow
Reactions: decypher44
Comment

munpip214

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Wow. Integer overflow?! That should be prevented from a low-level OS security protection. We looked at that in my 2009 hacking class. Wouldn't have thought we would have such a "basic" exploit today.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.