Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Big Sur 11.5, the fifth major update to the macOS Big Sur operating system that launched in November 2020. macOS Big Sur 11.5 comes two months after the release of macOS Big Sur 11.4.

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Orange.jpg

The new ‌‌‌‌‌macOS Big Sur‌‌‌‌ 11.5 update can be downloaded for free on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Preferences.

macOS Big Sur is a minor update focusing on small changes and bug fixes. According to Apple's release notes, the update improves the Podcasts app by allowing the Podcasts Library tab to be adjusted to show all shows or only followed shows.

It also addresses an issue that could cause Apple Music not to update play count or the last played date in the library, and it fixes a bug that caused smart cards not to work when logging into M1 Macs.

macOS Big Sur 11.5 is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Big Sur operating system as Apple shifts its attention to macOS Monterey, which is set to be released this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.5 With Podcast App Updates and Bug Fixes

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I am doing a system scan for bug-a-boos, perhaps after the throng of people to update. However, my iMac is set to do automatic updates, I think I will wait. We are getting fiber next week installed (sounds like a laxative commercial) to replace our DSL. So I want our toys in good shape . Shouldn't affect anything, but it is nice to have a clean machine.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm excited for it! (And as always, I remain convinced that this update fixes more bugs than the 3-4 small things they mention... I haven't noticed the size before starting the update, but it's usually above 1 Gb.)

Indeed! I’ll reiterate my usual complaint that Apple provides totally deficient documentation for these updates.

I don’t expect an exhaustive set of release notes detailing every single fix, but the docs they release these days are almost nonexistent. There must be dozens or even hundreds of bug fixes in these point releases and they don’t document any of them.

Why is everything just a black box?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Apple today released macOS Big Sur 11.5, the fifth major update to the macOS Big Sur operating system that launched in November 2020. macOS Big Sur 11.5 comes two months after the release of macOS Big Sur 11.4.

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Orange.jpg

The new ‌‌‌‌‌macOS Big Sur‌‌‌‌ 11.5 update can be downloaded for free on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Preferences.

macOS Big Sur is a minor update focusing on small changes and bug fixes. According to Apple's release notes, the update improves the Podcasts app by allowing the Podcasts Library tab to be adjusted to show all shows or only followed shows.

It also addresses an issue that could cause Apple Music not to update play count or the last played date in the library, and it fixes a bug that caused smart cards not to work when logging into M1 Macs.

macOS Big Sur 11.5 is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Big Sur operating system as Apple shifts its attention to macOS Monterey, which is set to be released this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.5 With Podcast App Updates and Bug Fixes
Hope the bug for the appleTV app is fixed. Working with apple on this one so not sure if they got to fixing it yet.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
I’m on RC2 but the public release is not showing up. Yes I know they are the same but it should still show up. I deleted beta profile as well. Anyone else?

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I’m on RC2 but the public release is not showing up. Yes I know they are the same but it should still show up. I deleted beta profile as well. Anyone else?
It won’t show up because it is the same build number as RC2. Just download it using the link I gave earlier.

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.