Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Big Sur 11.6.4, a security fix update that is designed for Mac users who continue to use the Big Sur operating system instead of macOS Monterey.

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Orange.jpg

The ‌‌‌‌macOS Big Sur 11.6.4‌‌ update can be downloaded on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Preferences.

Today's update comes about two weeks after the launch of macOS Big Sur 11.6.3, which was released alongside macOS Monterey 12.2. Apple usually releases new versions of macOS Big Sur alongside Monterey updates, but today's Big Sur software release is standalone.

According to Apple's release notes for the update, macOS Big Sur 11.6.4 "improves the security of macOS" and is recommended for all users.

Apple has also released a 2022-002 macOS Catalina security update for those who are still running macOS Catalina.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.6.4 With Security Fixes

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
Great! I hope the patch for Catalina will fix all the issues of the previous one. After Catalina Security Update 2022-001 my Mac reboots while in sleep mode. And it's not just me who's having this problem. There is a two-page thread on Macrumors with people experiencing the same issue.

Last edited:

thawk9455

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Today's update comes about two weeks after the launch of macOS Big Sur 11.6.3, which was released alongside macOS Monterey 12.2. Apple usually releases new versions of macOS Big Sur alongside Monterey updates, but today's Big Sur software release is standalone.

Feel like this could be worded much better. This isn't a "standalone" release. This is likely related to the updates that were released in Monterey 12.2.1 on Thursday.

Reactions: makra and lionel77

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
I'm probably not alone in thinking that I can wait a while longer before upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey. Most these MacOS releases are pretty meh....nothing overly compelling to get me to upgrade right away.

So I'm glad they are still supporting previous OS with security updates

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Stuck on Big Sur here (late-2013 MBP), so glad of the updates ;) hopeful of buying an M2 MBA later this year though.
I’m just like you, only that I wanted one of those MBs M1 pro but was unable to buy one (not available at any Apple Store + I refused to wait 1 month to have it shipped to my home). About my late 2013 MBP - it is probably the best laptop that I ever used. Prior to using a Mac I was buying a new laptop ever two years since around 1998.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm probably not alone in thinking that I can wait a while longer before upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey. Most these MacOS releases are pretty meh....nothing overly compelling to get me to upgrade right away.

So I'm glad they are still supporting previous OS with security updates
Unless you want to use Xcode beta. It is now Monterey only.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Still on 10.15.7 but will begrudingly have to update later this fall when they stop security supporting it + the caldigit TS4 requries it. I also have a 2013 21.5" imac that is stuck on catalina forever so will probably sell it to upgrade to a new one

Big sur was a trashfire and Im so happy I never even bothered with it

Reactions: Hombre53

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I SO wish I could be back on Big Sur. Monterey is the worst release in memory. They *still* haven't fixed the USB bugs.
I wonder what alternate universe Apple lives in? I understand that they have to bring out their new
computers with the new OS, but would it be impossible for them to at least
make it compatible with the previous OS that the software makers have still
not caught up with?

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Great! I hope the patch for Catalina will fix all the issues of the previous one. After Catalina Security Update 2022-001 my Mac reboots while in sleep mode. And it's not just me who's having this problem. There is a two-page thread on Macrumors with people experiencing the same issue.

Can you still go to Big Sur? Much better than Catalina imo

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
Can you still go to Big Sur? Much better than Catalina imo
It is very smooth and nice, but I just didn't like the UI. Too much white everywhere, too translucent etc. I have to use Monterey on M1 Macs, so Catalina is a relax mode machine haha.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
I’m just like you, only that I wanted one of those MBs M1 pro but was unable to buy one (not available at any Apple Store + I refused to wait 1 month to have it shipped to my home). About my late 2013 MBP - it is probably the best laptop that I ever used. Prior to using a Mac I was buying a new laptop ever two years since around 1998.
I’m in the same boat with a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13in. Planning on upgrading eventually to a m2 MacBook Pro 16in. Hopefully it’s released this fall or sometime next year before updates for Big Sur end in the fall of 2023.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010

FYI I have the same issue on Big Sur. Hopefully this update fixes it but it’s described as a security update only so I’m not expecting it to provide a solution.

Reactions: Andrew73875

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
Still on Big Sur simply because the Monterey download is 12-13 GB and without access to broadband it would take all day to d/l while tying up my already limited bandwidth the entire day. Started to d/l this update tonight but at 3-5 Mbps in the evenings I think I'll kill it and try tomorrow during the day.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
I remember the days when Snow Leopard was released. A new OS version was really great. Don‘t remeber if you had to pay for SL, but at least for the earlier updates one could get an update for some bucks.

Today is more like: Meh, an update? Again? Couldn‘t you just leave me alone with your da*n updates? Bugs, every year, bugs, bugs, bugs and after that, fixes, fixes fixes. Live, die, repeat e-v-e-r-y year!!!!

I like the way some Linux distros handle this. You can live on the edge or you can get LTS versions with ~8 years security fixes and you don‘t need an OS update for a new browser or new emojis. Wish Apple would slow down with UI and other „improvements“.

New OS version every 3-4 years? Release it when it is done? I don‘t want your latest and greatest, Apple. Just want a stable OS.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Still on Big Sur simply because the Monterey download is 12-13 GB and without access to broadband it would take all day to d/l while tying up my already limited bandwidth the entire day. Started to d/l this update tonight but at 3-5 Mbps in the evenings I think I'll kill it and try tomorrow during the day.

Do you have a McDonald's, Starbucks, Target, etc. nearby for free public WIFI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.