Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauljdurack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
Drop the following in Terminal and Software Update will download the latest 10.15.5 full install app.

open "x-apple.systempreferences:com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate?installMajorOSVersion=10.15.5"
That only downloads a 2.98gb installer, so an upgrade patch rather than the full ~8.3gb dmg

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry I will clarify, have they pulled the AppStore dmg? I can still see the update listed in software update
It's not been pulled from there, the App Store app catalog just hasn't been updated to show 10.15.5- it was never there.

beatrixwillius

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Germany
I'm not really sure what problem this would solve for me. I do not have any of the concerns described on their web page. I already have snapshots of my archives. I simply want to be confident that e-mails will not disappear from the primary interface (i.e. Mail.app) that I want to use unless I purposely delete them myself.

Developer of Mail Archiver here. The backups you have for Mail aren't very useful because you can't identify the emails Mail may have deleted. And you can't do a restore either because Mail doesn't handle duplicate emails automatically. I wrote a blog post at https://www.mothsoftware.com/blog_p...ycloner-etc-backup-not-very-useful-for-emails with more detail.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
People that do care about email and want to use it professionally have many options. I am using O365 and have an online archive and I can even set retention policies or even activate litigation hold if I need to.
As far as the mail.app concerns, you can use Time Machine to restore mails. Also using the email archive option is good enough for most users that do use mail privately. I wouldn't spend money on a 3rd party app that doesn't really offer much. Sorry.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Other alternatives for backing up mails are ... copying ~/Library/Mail/V7 (rubbish for individual mails, but great to restore all emails to a point in time), creating an "On My Mac" folder and copying mails or entire folders there, finding a free email provider (gmail, outlook/hotmail whatever) and occasionally copying all your emails there.

Boomer5100

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2016
That only downloads a 2.98gb installer, so an upgrade patch rather than the full ~8.3gb dmg
I used this exact Terminal command yesterday and Software Update immediately popped up and downloaded the full installer. Not sure why it's not working for you.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Fixes for Finder freezing are welcome, though I'll reserve judgement until we see how far that actually extends (Finder has always been terrible at handling network drives for example).

Can anyone comment on whether Apple has done anything about Catalina's appalling RAM wastage? I've already been through four major updates and I still have to shutdown on a weekly basis or watch as my RAM slowly disappears to constantly growing system processes.

First party apps are also big offenders, Music and TV especially when Home Sharing, as they seem to just increase in RAM usage at a rate of about 1gb per hour.

Mojave wasn't exactly a racehorse, but Catalina has been a huge disappointed thanks to how leaky a lot of the first party apps and processes seem to be. Even fresh after a restart Catalina is not what I'd call lean, which is silly when Apple axed all the 32-bit code, so how have they found time to waste my (incredibly expensive) RAM anyway?

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Drop the following in Terminal and Software Update will download the latest 10.15.5 full install app.

open "x-apple.systempreferences:com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate?installMajorOSVersion=10.15.5"

For me this did not work, on Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave. Says "Update not found" and "The requested version of macOS is not available."

It does work on a MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.5 though.

Thanks for posting the direct link, very handy!
[automerge]1590871436[/automerge]
Fixes for Finder freezing are welcome, though I'll reserve judgement until we see how far that actually extends (Finder has always been terrible at handling network drives for example).

Can anyone comment on whether Apple has done anything about Catalina's appalling RAM wastage? I've already been through four major updates and I still have to shutdown on a weekly basis or watch as my RAM slowly disappears to constantly growing system processes.

First party apps are also big offenders, Music and TV especially when Home Sharing, as they seem to just increase in RAM usage at a rate of about 1gb per hour.

Mojave wasn't exactly a racehorse, but Catalina has been a huge disappointed thanks to how leaky a lot of the first party apps and processes seem to be. Even fresh after a restart Catalina is not what I'd call lean, which is silly when Apple axed all the 32-bit code, so how have they found time to waste my (incredibly expensive) RAM anyway?

Does the command "sudo purge" help?

I have not noticed Catalina wasting too much RAM. Maybe a small bit more than Mojave but nothing too crazy.

Last edited:

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. macOS is designed to use your memory rather than let it go to waste. You need to examine the Memory Pressure statistics to see if you actually have an issue.

Reactions: bernuli

dra3b

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
MacOs used to have 4 steps for the battery health:
1- Normal (health is 100-75%): Tha macbook stays the 9-10 hours it is advertised
2- Replace soon (health is 74-50%) The macbook is still functioning well without the charger, but battery life is like 50%
3- Replace now (health is 49-20%) The macbook stays without charger connected for 2 hours max
4- Needs service (battery is completely dead) The macbook cannot work without a charger

Now it has only 2 options:
1- Normal
2- Service recommended

They are pushing people to spend money on the battery and replace it as soon as its health slightly deteriorates.

I HATE THIS

Reactions: bernuli

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
Man, these sleep crashes are a nightmare. My brand new, fully loaded MBP 16 crashed the first day I owned it and multiple times a day for a week, so I exchanged it for another... same problem on the new one.

WTF???
[automerge]1590642451[/automerge]

Oy, this beach all! I get the same thing on my brand new, fully loaded MBP 16. I have more RAM than god and still get the spinning beach ball when running Contacts.

According to acidblood, I’m god, and I have 64GB. You? ?.

In my experience the beach ball problem is nearly always some kind of software conflict or corrupted prefs file.

I’ve been having beach ball problems with Safari for a few months. I just tried creating a new user and browsing there for a while. Not experiencing it there. So it’s not an OS problem, it’s a problem in my user/home folder somewhere.

Have you tried a clean reinstall or a new user account?
[automerge]1590916372[/automerge]
Two points from me:

Battery Management

A couple of weeks ago I changed the battery in my nearly 6 year-old MBP (Retina, mid-2014, 13") after 1150 cycles, short battery life and system report flag "replace soon".

With an eye on the possible automatic safeguarding of my newly purchased battery's lifespan, my initial enthusiasm at early reports of new battery management functionality in MacOS 10.15.5 was soon dampened with the announcement this would only be available to devices with Thunderbolt 3 ports. No doubt there's a perfectly valid technical reason why this restriction has been imposed, but I fully concur with previous posts pointing out why this functionality would be particularly useful to older devices. I guess it's a consequence of my MBP being classed as vintage a few months ago......

Time Machine

A fix for issues with large file transfers to RAID drives was another feature of MacOS 10.15.5 that caught my eye.

I have had significant issues running Time Machine backups to my Synology DS218j NAS with twin disks mirrored in a Synology Hybrid RAID configuration. After successfully completing a full backup (199 GB over a LAN cable), Time Machine subsequently carries out a verification which fails and it insists on deleting the backup and starting again - with the same result. I have hoped with each successive iteration of MacOS update this would be an under-the-hood fix, but this has not yet been the case.

Sadly, and frustratingly, this issue remains with MacOS 10.15.5 .... perhaps one day!

I had similar Time Machine issues - dramatically increasing after APFS came out (I’m aware a TM drive still has to be HFS+).

Backups of all things need to be reliable. I gave up and switched to a combination of Carbon Copy Cloner, APFS snapshots, and Backblaze for my backup and disaster recovery needs and haven’t looked back. Backblaze has saved my bacon a couple of times. I don’t trust TM at all any more.

Last edited:

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
MacOs used to have 4 steps for the battery health:
1- Normal (health is 100-75%): Tha macbook stays the 9-10 hours it is advertised
2- Replace soon (health is 74-50%) The macbook is still functioning well without the charger, but battery life is like 50%
3- Replace now (health is 49-20%) The macbook stays without charger connected for 2 hours max
4- Needs service (battery is completely dead) The macbook cannot work without a charger

Now it has only 2 options:
1- Normal
2- Service recommended

They are pushing people to spend money on the battery and replace it as soon as its health slightly deteriorates.

I HATE THIS

That does not make sense. A recommendation is not a push. “Replace now” is/was a push.

The recently introduced battery management option in macOS is actually designed to give your battery a longer life, so credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Detnator

Tovenaar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
That's the point of this update; Macs that are plugged in all the time won't be mercilessly topped off to 100% continuously.

That said, limiting this feature to only 2016 and newer Macbooks is rather irritating.

They probably limited it to newer laptops to avoid the backlash they faced with the iPhone processor throttling issue. People with older laptops might experience a significant short-term drop in total battery capacity with this option turned on, and would scream foul that Apple was trying to get them to buy a new laptop.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Unused RAM is wasted RAM. macOS is designed to use your memory rather than let it go to waste. You need to examine the Memory Pressure statistics to see if you actually have an issue.
Thanks for not reading what I was actually complaining about.

Wasted RAM is wasted RAM; when windowserver grows and grows until it's using 2-3gb of my 16gb of RAM, that's wasted RAM, when Music.app grows by 1gb per hour, that's wasted RAM, when various other system processes are using several hundreds of megabytes of RAM to just sit idle, that's wasted RAM.

I would love if most of my RAM were "wasted" on caching, but it's not; if I keep my system up for more than a week at a time my minimum RAM pressure will be around 50%. When the only way I can get my (200% markup) RAM back is to restart my computer, that is not the sign of a quality operating system.

Mojave wasn't exactly lean either but it was never this bad. I'm talking about a fresh install of macOS Catalina where this has been a problem the entire time, and while some of the major patches have fixed specific processes, macOS Catalina is still very clearly riddled with memory leaks.

I have at least three dozen individual reports in Feedback Assistant filed on specific offenders, but Apple has yet to respond to or close a single one; most of these reports have been open and ignored now for months.

Reactions: IG88

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for not reading what I was actually complaining about.

Wasted RAM is wasted RAM; when windowserver grows and grows until it's using 2-3gb of my 16gb of RAM, that's wasted RAM, when Music.app grows by 1gb per hour, that's wasted RAM, when various other system processes are using several hundreds of megabytes of RAM to just sit idle, that's wasted RAM.

I would love if most of my RAM were "wasted" on caching, but it's not; if I keep my system up for more than a week at a time my minimum RAM pressure will be around 50%. When the only way I can get my (200% markup) RAM back is to restart my computer, that is not the sign of a quality operating system.

Mojave wasn't exactly lean either but it was never this bad. I'm talking about a fresh install of macOS Catalina where this has been a problem the entire time, and while some of the major patches have fixed specific processes, macOS Catalina is still very clearly riddled with memory leaks.

I have at least three dozen individual reports in Feedback Assistant filed on specific offenders, but Apple has yet to respond to or close a single one; most of these reports have been open and ignored now for months.

You are assuming that because processes have RAM assigned to them, that is wasted memory. On the contrary. The operating system should definitely be trying to maximise the amount of physical RAM it's using. Otherwise you wasted your money on purchasing the extra memory. Where in the manual does it say that a frequently used app (like the Music app in your case) should not lay claim to more RAM the longer it is used? Providing the operating system can efficiently juggle what is needed when it is needed, the amount of RAM that a process is using is irrelevant.

You may have an edge case involving a genuine problem, but I suspect the great majority of users do not. Is your Memory Pressure in the red? If not, you are worrying about nothing.

I, for example, rarely restart my MacBook Pro, despite typically running up multiple concurrent virtual machines during the day, at the same time as running Logic Pro very hard. No memory problems for me.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Anyone else pissed off that the MacBooks that can most use this battery management right now, older ones, don't have the feature?

I know Apple wants us to upgrade our hardware but at least don't be so blatant about it.
Clearly the older hardware doesn't have the processing power for this incredible new feature. Please visit an Apple Store and spend thousands of dollars.
[automerge]1590972155[/automerge]
dos it fix the audio popping cracking on MacBook pros
Whenever I was compiling (Unity and Rider) while playing music it would crackle and pop something fierce. That's gone now AND the time it took to run my game after hitting the play button has literally decreased 70% (10 seconds down to 3). Apple had really stuffed something up prior to this update.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Clearly the older hardware doesn't have the processing power for this incredible new feature. Please visit an Apple Store and spend thousands of dollars.

Older hardware would not benefit from battery management, even if it had the chippery to support it. The battery is already degraded and you can’t go back in time to make this change.

gagarcr

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2020
Has anyone actually tried the Battery Health Management? I have seen my battery discharged to about 85% and then up again (all of this while being attached to the charger).

This is not how I expect it to behave.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
You are assuming that because processes have RAM assigned to them, that is wasted memory. On the contrary. The operating system should definitely be trying to maximise the amount of physical RAM it's using. Otherwise you wasted your money on purchasing the extra memory. Where in the manual does it say that a frequently used app (like the Music app in your case) should not lay claim to more RAM the longer it is used? Providing the operating system can efficiently juggle what is needed when it is needed, the amount of RAM that a process is using is irrelevant.
No it isn't; if a process' memory usage grows to 30 gb that's not only wasting a huge chunk of RAM but also forcing swapping, that's not fine, it's a major problem. What reality do you live in where infinite memory usage is fine?

Do people here not understand what memory leaks are? Music.app's memory footprint should not grow, there is simply no reason for it to consume more and more RAM, yet it does. That is a major flaw in a first party app, one that Apple has thus far completely failed to fix.

A system processes' memory usage should not grow infinitely over time either.

You may have an edge case involving a genuine problem, but I suspect the great majority of users do not. Is your Memory Pressure in the red? If not, you are worrying about nothing.
I'm sorry but can nobody on this forum actually read what I am writing?

I have to restart my computer every week or memory pressure will eventually grow to unusable levels; I have now said this a total of four times over two posts, yet it has been ignored in 100% of replies.

There are fundamental memory leaking issues with macOS Catalina; I may be in the minority of users that actually notice there is a problem, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, and it doesn't excuse Apple for ignoring the multiple processes that contribute to it (all of which I have reported) or for allowing these issues to occur in an operating system release in the first place, it points to a quality assurance process that either is non-existent, or completely failing.

System processes should be getting more efficient, not less over time, and yet macOS releases have consistently become increasingly shoddy. The last macOS version I was actually happy with was probably Snow Leopard; Apple has been focusing far too much on inventing marketable features and less on just making the operating system run better.

And 10.15.5 is no exception btw, as high memory usage has still not been resolved, it's been two days and already the same culprits are climbing in usage again. I don't care about "new" battery management features that existed in old Thinkpads (but which for some reason Apple hasn't bothered to implement until decades later), I care about an operating system being properly useful as an operating system. I want macOS to be a good OS, but I am increasingly disappointed with every new release, it feels far too much like Apple simply doesn't care any more.

Reactions: IG88

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Older hardware would not benefit from battery management, even if it had the chippery to support it. The battery is already degraded and you can’t go back in time to make this change.
Using this logic, the feature should enable itself once you replace the battery with a new one.

Reactions: ignatius345

acidblood

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006

Older hardware does support it (as evidenced by the Al Dente app) and any battery can benefit from it. If a battery lasts 10 years with charge management and 5 years without (it's never that simple, but it's just an example), then a 4-year old battery that wasn't charge managed may only get an extra year out of it (roughly, again it's just an example). Regardless of how you argue it, this is beneficial.
[automerge]1591009675[/automerge]
Using this logic, the feature should enable itself once you replace the battery with a new one.

And this nails it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Has anyone actually tried the Battery Health Management? I have seen my battery discharged to about 85% and then up again (all of this while being attached to the charger).

This is not how I expect it to behave.
That is indeed how it behaves. The exact number the battery drops to seems to vary, but it does let the battery discharge some and then top it back off. Maybe it'll evolve over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.