Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update With Spectre Fix

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2018.

1. TheNewLou macrumors newbie

TheNewLou

Is it possible to reinstall the update using these downloads?

2. F1Turbo macrumors newbie

How long should I wait? I waited about 15 hours before resetting it the first time, and am at 3.5 hours the second time. Progress bar basically shows no progress, and “Installing Software Update”

3 year old iMac 5K with fusion drive. Worked fine on my MacBook Pro (late 2013, about 4 years old).

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Thanks for this info - the update would not apply via the MAS on either my 2011 iMac or 2011 MBP - it would run the update but only take a very few minutes, the build was still the same afterwards and the MAS would show the update as neither available or applied for several hours. I went through this cycle twice on the MBP after that MAS showed the update available again after a few hours.

After downloading the update AGAIN I didn't restart and looked in the folder in Library/Updates and found 2 pkg's missing - downloaded them and added them in from your links above and bingo, the update applies, takes about 20mins and the build afterwards is the correct 17C205!

Wonder if there is a missing eligibility statement in the Update relating to those missing pkg's so they don't download....?

4. F1Turbo macrumors newbie

Since it won’t install on my iMac, it sounds like I could boot it up from my backup drive (via Super Duper), delete anything found in Library/Update on internal drive, then reboot with internal drive? Sounds like this would be a lot easier and quicker than booting off backup and restoring from backup onto internal drive.

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Will it no longer boot from the internal startup drive? If it won't that sounds a lot worse than just won't update. If it does boot, simply delete the files downloaded for the update from Library/Updates, can't see any need to boot from the backup drive??

If you still want it to apply, check the update download includes all 6 update pkg files...

7. L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

8. F1Turbo macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. It’s downloaded the update, and upon restarting, goes directly into “Installing Software Update,” but doesn’t really do anything (shows a bar graph that goes nowhere). Guess I need to call Apple and see what they recommend. I’ve got a bootable backup, but if there’s a quicker and simpler way to do it...

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Try what I did, download the update, don't restart, check the folder in Library/Updates to see if it has all 6 pkg files and add any missing ones from the links in the post above, then restart...

10. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/macos

Lou

11. L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

He was ummm providing a link as asked for in the post he quoted.

13. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Well often apple combine the installers in a single one and put it up on that webpage. But they don’t seem to have done it yet. So so far we only have the links I put pack on page 6.

Eventually it should end up on the downloads page too though.

14. L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

It is just a general link, the 10.13.2 Supplemental update has not been posted in the downloads site yet.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So might have been better if you had said that in your original post? I know its not there as I looked when I was having issues but it IS the place it should show up.

16. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Well you could try that. But I don’t know if it will work on an unsupported mac.

17. L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

Well
    Sweetie.

18. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

So?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2018 ---
    I'll believe it until I see otherwise. I haven't seen a High Sierra update where someone has said 'All clear guys, this version doesn't suck and have loads of display glitches and slowdowns'

19. Johan the Swede macrumors newbie

Johan the Swede

Okay so I've updated all my devices.

Holy smokes, their back in initial good speed.. 15" macbook pro 2016, iphone, ipad..
    Especially my Macbook, was very much slower after upgrading from Sierra to high sierra..

So what happened?

Isn't it very convenient.. a superbug... Spectre, sound very dangerous.. Vulnerability in every news around the globe.. Same thing with my ios devices.. They've gotten so slow it felt unbearable to use.. and now they are fine, again..
    I'm not into conspiracy (normaly ;)) ...shifting focus..? It just feels like this supplemental update took away all speed limit /restrictions on my devices..

Did James Bond just fix my devices?

Cheers!
    Johan

20. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I've been on 10.12.5 forever

worth going to 10.12.6?

seems I have to get safari 11.0.2 , much less safari 11?

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Don't do High Sierra if you have an nVidia GPU.

However, 10.12.6 is rock solid.

22. bennyprofane, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

bennyprofane macrumors member

Intel just announced Spectre kernel patches for processors built 2013 and later:

So why is Apple patching this on the OS level and not the kernel? Or are these perhaps just temporary fixes until Intel has released their kernel patches?

Edit: Apple has released a statement concerning Spectre and Meltdown:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

It is really shocking that they make no statement concerning Meltdown and El Capitan and Sierra. Perhaps they want to scare people into updating before releasing the patches by giving out no prior information. I'm certainly considering it, so hats off to you, Apple!

23. Skeptical.me macrumors 6502

Skeptical.me

So? Well, HS is running just as soothly as S on my iMac 27" i5 Quad 3.2Ghz 1TB Fusion ... I have had no major issue whatsoever.

However this update caused an issue with 1 application called Qsync, other than than no issues at all. CPU and RAM running fine, rarely do I get the rainbow wheel of death.

I guess it must not be the same for everyone.

24. Xray50 macrumors newbie

Xray50

Can I install High Sierra in a MBP 13" 2012, 4 GB, 500 HDD?

Tc

25. camelia macrumors regular

camelia

Not NVIDIA GPU? Like this model:
    rMBP 15" Mid 2014 Intel i7 2.8 GHz 16 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M ?

if yes Why not? :confused:

Came