Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we await the launch of macOS Mojave this fall, Apple has quietly released an updated version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 that's designed for the 2018 MacBook Pro models.

The new version of the software can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

macOS-High-Sierra-800x500.jpg

According to Apple's release notes the update will improve the stability and reliability of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and is recommended for all 2018 machines.
The macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2 improves the stability and reliability of MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2018) computers, and is recommended for all users.

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
It's not entirely clear what specific bugs or security issues are addressed in the new software, but it features build numbers of 17G2037/15P6805, while prior build numbers were 17G2208/15P6703.

Some 2018 MacBook Pro owners have experienced crackling speakers and issues with kernel panics perhaps related to the T2 chip included in the machines, so it's possible the update addresses some of these issues.

Apple in July released an initial supplemental update for the 2018 MacBook Pro models to address a problem that caused the machines to excessively throttle when doing system intensive tasks. Today's update could also potentially include further refinements to processor performance.

macOS High Sierra is reaching the end of its life as Apple prepares to release macOS Mojave, the newest version of macOS that's currently being beta tested by developers and public beta testers. This is likely to be one of the final updates to the High Sierra operating system.

macOS Mojave introduces multiple enticing new features, such as a system-wide dark mode, dynamic wallpapers that shift throughout the day, Desktop Stacks for organizing desktop files, Finder improvements like a more useful Quick Look view and support for Quick Actions, and new apps like Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos.

For details on what's coming in macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our macOS Mojave roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update for 2018 MacBook Pro Models

DEOREM

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
I've got a 2018 MBP but I'm on the latest beta of Mojave. I can't get this update so do you think it's included already in Mojave?

Reactions: fullauto
Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Hmmmm. hold on to your butts I guess?

I'm getting nightly kernel panics and restarts on my MacBook Pro while it's asleep and plugged in to power only. Maybe that'll help. I was going to do a full reinstall of Mac OS when Mojave came out so was just dealing with it basically.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Not cool if this supplemental update applies only to the MBP and not the iMP as well...

This update is almost certainly related to the throttling issue with MacBook Pro (2018).

Apple probably found more situations where throttling can occur.

Reactions: auralux
Comment

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Not sure if this update brings new features or fixes.
But we definitely get new build numbers though!
Yay!

Comment

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Because the iMac Pro has been dealing with the T2 crashes longer and needs to be addressed as well.

Definitely agree that iMac Pro crashes should be addressed, but but we are only speculating this is about T2 kernel attacks... what it SAYS is "improves the stability and reliability of MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2018) computers"... it could be about other issues, reported or not, totally unrelated to the iMac Pro.

In the meantime, I have never had a kernel attack in my iMac Pro (4 months old), but did have my first one last week in my 2018 MacBook Pro, so I am curious to see what this does or does not do.

Reactions: fpsBeaTt
Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Just die already. Mojave can't get here fast enough! HS has been a support nightmare for me.

And you honestly believe that a "new" macOS version will fix all the things that the point releases for the current OS version have not fixed...?

The major problem with macOS and also Windows these days is that both platforms are in perpetual beta - and QA and bug fixing are no longer on the agenda.

Comment

nattK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I'm pretty sure it's for the bridge os error/kernel panics on the 2018 MBP with touch bar. I had been experiencing a lot of them and have been working with a senior advisor and apple engineers for quite a while. I was told last week that a software fix was coming soon to address the issue. I thought they were referring to Mojave but I guess this is it

Comment

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
it hasn't fixed the constant noise in my headphone port which sounds like really bad shielding. during the install process, the noise (which is the same volume irrespective of the computer's volume setting) went away until the install was halway complete making me think it might be fixed, but no such joy. hopefully it'll fix the kernel panics and audio distortion/stuttering i'm getting as this machine is like a £5k paperweight atm. really wish i'd gone dell this time. already lost loads of time and work to it, and more coming as i will have to get my headphone port fixed / machcine exchanged, given that these issues started about a day after the 14 day return window

edit: also hasn't fixed any of about 5-7 graphical issues i'm seeing, tested them all. admittedly some may be related to moving from OpenGL to Metal in Unity, but...

one issue involved with grabbing a texture from the backbuffer in openGL which my software relies on, causes the machine to freeze for 10-30s at a time, making the months i spent writing the software pointless. though it can push a higher resolution, at the same res my game actually runs more jittery (bad frame pacing) on my 2018 than my 2012 mbp, i don't know if it's due to the throttling behaviour. this machine just feels flimsy and unreliable

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.