Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorikeet

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
They finally made Preview restore with tabs intact, instead of kicking every file into its own window. Hallelujah! Now if only Preview could also get the tab groups feature from Safari…

Reactions: aaronraimist

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
TL;DR: it's not just the bugs, it's the inelegant way the OS is structured, and that unsettling vibe of technological debt slowly but steadily accruing. Yes, I know Apple has been “replacing parts of the engine while in flight” for a few years, but they've also been tacking a lot of cruft on the side (will you look at all those daemons in Activity Monitor, trashing your SSD and whatnot), and even when it's patently useful or even essential, it isn't nearly as elegant or well thought-out as early OS X components and structures were. It's hard to put a finger on it, but modern macOS, at least behind the curtain, kind of feels like a weird blend between the worst of Windows, Classic Mac OS and even OS X (namely its lack of transparency whenever something goes wrong, which has indeed been a longstanding problem), with but a veneer of user-friendliness on top.

Bertrand Serlet > Craig Federighi​

whateverest

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
Before installing 14.1 my 2021 16" MacBook Pro, which is always plugged in, held its charge at 80%. After the update it's now charging to 100% and staying at that level. I'm hoping that it will revert to 80% charge shortly. Any one else seeing this?

Nope. Try battery, https://github.com/actuallymentor/battery, works for me, even with custom max charge set to 75% via command line tool. M1 Pro.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I don’t like the colors of Sonoma.
See if I change my mind, or change desktops pics 😉

Only complain this far.

birdieman128

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
Just break my M1 MBP Pro by updating to Ventura 13.6.1. Black screen and every time hold on to Power Button, trying to go to option screen and went dark again.

mihighil

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2022
Adding songs to favorites is the innovation we can expect from the top tech company in 2023…i mean…how do they come up with this stuff?? Insane!

Reactions: Alwis

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
Still no solution for this problem: Microsoft Excel 365 (23100802) doesn't use my Region setting (Netherlands) but instead uses the Primary Preferred Languages setting (English US).
@GeertGB not sure if you are on the MacAdmins Slack but if you are this is the thread

Basically Apple switched the data it writes to the AppleLocale key in your users' .GlobalPreferences domain.

I opened an Apple FB and it is "working as intended" Apple says, they say that no app should be getting the region from AppleLocale in .GlobalPreferences and instead use Swift/ObjC APIs.... well I guess Microsoft didn't get the memo!

So in your case if you are using English US for the language and Netherlands for the region, if you run this command:
Code:
defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLocale

You'll likely get this as the result: en_US@rg=nlzzzz
If you were on Ventura or earlier, it'd be: en_NL

So for now, until MS fixes how they are getting regions, you can revert to the old format, run this in Terminal as the current user (not root):
Code:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences AppleLocale en_NL

Relaunch Excel and it should realize where you are and give you proper date formatting and unit separators

Last edited:

GeertGB

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
@GeertGB not sure if you are on the MacAdmins Slack but if you are this is the thread

Basically Apple switched the data it writes to the AppleLocale key in your users' .GlobalPreferences domain.

I opened an Apple FB and it is "working as intended" Apple says, they say that no app should be getting the region from AppleLocale in .GlobalPreferences and instead use Swift/ObjC APIs.... well I guess Microsoft didn't get the memo!

So in your case if you are using English US for the language and Netherlands for the region, if you run this command:
Code:
defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLocale

You'll likely get this as the result: en_US@rg=nlzzzz
If you were on Ventura or earlier, it'd be: en_NL

So for now, until MS fixes how they are getting regions, you can revert to the old format, run this in Terminal as the current user (not root):
Code:

Relaunch Excel and it should realize where you are and give you proper date formatting and unit separators
Many thanks for your reply and clarification! I took the liberty to share "As per Apple FB it is "working as intended" Apple says, they say that no app should be getting the region from AppleLocale in .GlobalPreferences and instead use Swift/ObjC APIs.... well I guess Microsoft didn't get the memo!" with Microsoft.

As I don't have a Slack account, could you please share the contents of the MacAdmins Slack thread you're referring to? I am really interested in the detailed explanation. Thanks in advance!

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
As I don't have a Slack account, could you please share the contents of the MacAdmins Slack thread you're referring to? I am really interested in the detailed explanation. Thanks in advance!
@GeertGB That's really the gist of it: Apple changed the format of the data in the AppleLocale key and it directly correlates to Office apps falling back to United States as the country despite being in another region. Most visibly in Excel. I started that thread, so that's really the gist of it! It seems if you choose "English (UK)" (or somehow I got just just "English" in my language list, even though it's not a normal optoin?!) you'll get the classic AppleLocale of en_NL but if your language is "English (US)" then you'll get the funky en_US@rg=nlzzzz

So run this command and you should be good:
Code:

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Anyone else lose their entire menu on secondary monitors?

(It's still there, but no text.)

RESOLVED: Additional reboot returned it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.25.21.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.25.21.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
That used to happen to me pretty frequently after OS updates back when I was still using a 2018MBP (I've now switched to a Mac Studio) and - IIRC - the issue usually went away after two or three days. I assume it's because all of the restarts associated w/ OS updates kind of throw the whole optimized charging schedule out whack for a bit but I could very well be wrong about that.
Spot on. A day and a half later and it's reverted to 80% optimized charging.

AnonymousCward

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2023
the insanity that is TCC reeks of both Vista's UAC at its worst and, to add insult to injury, the Windows Registry itself.

Mandatory Access Controls are difficult to get right. TCC is as close as anyone has ever got to implementing them correctly, however, they've put all their eggs in one basket by using layered profiles to try and make what should be a system-wide confinement into a per-user one.

For what it's worth, Microsoft has all but abandoned offering comparable security, and Linux distros abandoned default targeted MAC policies for desktop apps in favour of Flatpak now that Wayland has replaced Xorg. So it's not like Apple is doing worse than the competition here.

TL;DR: it's not just the bugs, it's the inelegant way the OS is structured, and that unsettling vibe of technological debt slowly but steadily accruing.

Apple lacks the mandate Microsoft has to keep APIs stable but also lacks the resources the Linux community has to make very necessary huge rewrites of the underlying operating system to catch up.

My pet peeves are:
  1. No proper built-in central package manager (e.g. winget or apt) to keep apps up to date
  2. Broken mullti-monitor support with apps not being able to span across screens
  3. Font rendering which is inferior on many non-Apple screens (especially 1440p ones)
  4. Broken secondary user support, meaning you can't run sandboxed apps as other users
  5. No per-application sound controls like Windows and Linux has had for many years
  6. App Sandboxing doesn't correctly take into account nested processes
  7. Absolutely abysmal memory management due to a lack of proper page combining
  8. Bundled advertising on News and Stocks apps regardless of paid subscriptions
  9. Gatekeeper not enforcing digital signatures on apps at launch properly every time
  10. No control over outbound firewalling per-app as part of the core system
Will any of these get fixed any time soon? Doubtful.

Reactions: inequals and Idgit

GeertGB

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
@GeertGB That's really the gist of it: Apple changed the format of the data in the AppleLocale key and it directly correlates to Office apps falling back to United States as the country despite being in another region. Most visibly in Excel. I started that thread, so that's really the gist of it! It seems if you choose "English (UK)" (or somehow I got just just "English" in my language list, even though it's not a normal optoin?!) you'll get the classic AppleLocale of en_NL but if your language is "English (US)" then you'll get the funky en_US@rg=nlzzzz

So run this command and you should be good:
Code:
Thanks again!

PhilipPeake

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
IMHO, the problems are centered arounf their never ending quest to make my laptop look and feel like a cell phone.
Honesty, I am not interested in an iPhone, and not in iPad after buying one that never worked correctly and they were not interested in fixing it - I believe that they used different companies to build them, and allowed variations in the hardware, some supported better than others.

Each time I update my Macbook pro I end up having to spend hours trying to find out how to turn off/disable most of their new stuff which their marketing may like, but which actually sucks.

lorikeet

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
IMHO, the problems are centered arounf their never ending quest to make my laptop look and feel like a cell phone.
Honesty, I am not interested in an iPhone, and not in iPad after buying one that never worked correctly and they were not interested in fixing it - I believe that they used different companies to build them, and allowed variations in the hardware, some supported better than others.

Each time I update my Macbook pro I end up having to spend hours trying to find out how to turn off/disable most of their new stuff which their marketing may like, but which actually sucks.

I like having my computer being able to do everything my phone does, instead of having to pick up my phone and using its small screen to do certain actions, like pick up phone calls, find 2FA codes, etc. Features like handing off Safari tabs from phone to computer are useful. Window restoration after reboot. Not everything has been great, but if you're going around and turning off new features instead of trying them, I'd suggest giving them a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.