Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Tuesday released Magic Keyboard firmware version 2.0.6 with a fix for a Bluetooth-related security vulnerability.

magic-keyboard-hands-on.jpg

"An attacker with physical access to the accessory may be able to extract its Bluetooth pairing key and monitor Bluetooth traffic," an Apple support document says.

The firmware update is available for various Magic Keyboard models for the Mac, including the standard Magic Keyboard, Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad.

Magic Keyboard firmware updates are automatically installed while the keyboard is paired to a device running macOS, iOS, iPadOS, or tvOS, with no way to manually apply an update. To check a Magic Keyboard's firmware version on a Mac, open the System Settings app, click Bluetooth, and click on the info button next to your keyboard.

Apple's full security disclosure:
Bluetooth

Available for: Magic Keyboard; Magic Keyboard (2021); Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad; Magic Keyboard with Touch ID; and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad

Impact: An attacker with physical access to the accessory may be able to extract its Bluetooth pairing key and monitor Bluetooth traffic

Description: A session management issue was addressed with improved checks.

CVE-2024-0230: Marc Newlin of SkySafe
This is the first firmware update for some Magic Keyboard models in several years, according to MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris.

Article Link: Apple Releases Magic Keyboard Firmware Update With Bluetooth Security Fix

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I hope the firmware update replaces the Lightning connector with a USB-C !

Seriously, I read the headline so fast I thought they were finally releasing an updated version of the product. 😅

Last edited:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I wish they'd release a fix for the price - I want a new one with the TouchID but blimey its $230 here in Canada.
Mine cost $199 (US) when I ordered it with my ac Studio M1 Max. Based on my online research the battery is not replaceable when it gives up the ghost. Does anyone know if that’s the case. If so it’s another argument for right to repair.

Reactions: ignatius345

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Found my Magic Keyboard with Touch ID updated to firmware 2.0.6 this morning. 👍

My Magic Mouse is on firmware 1.9.2 and no mention in this article about an update. Perhaps this vulnerability does not apply to the mouse?

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yes, my Magic Keyboard with Touch ID updated as well. I was going to ask wether it requires Sonoma 14.3 but apparently it just updates over the air?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Mine cost $199 (US) when I ordered it with my ac Studio M1 Max. Based on my online research the battery is not replaceable when it gives up the ghost. Does anyone know if that’s the case. If so it’s another argument for right to repair.
Can you at least leave it plugged in if the battery is cooked?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I did the same. From what I've read, the battery can be user-replaced, but disassembly and reassembly aren't easy. There's a kit available online for about $15, but Apple charges only $14 more (I just checked to be sure). I'd rather have Apple do it if and when the time comes. It's also worth remembering that you can continue to use the keyboard with the same cable you use to charge it.

kagharaht

macrumors 65832
Oct 7, 2007
I'm hoping they fix the random stutter/delay/jump on the Magic Trackpad. New M3 iMac and right from the start during set up it was doing that. It's a little better now but it's still there.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
I still have this
Apple Wireless Keyboard:

Address: 04:DB:56:CF:8B:51

Vendor ID: 0x05AC

Product ID: 0x0256

Battery Level: 100%

Firmware Version: 0.5.0

Minor Type: Keyboard

Services: 0x800020 < HID ACL >
Is this only for the rechargable ones and not the old ones that use replaceable battries?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I did the same. From what I've read, the battery can be user-replaced, but disassembly and reassembly aren't easy. There's a kit available online for about $15, but Apple charges only $14 more (I just checked to be sure). I'd rather have Apple do it if and when the time comes. It's also worth remembering that you can continue to use the keyboard with the same cable you use to charge it.
Further, I'd bet that Apple just hands you a new/refurbished keyboard for that $29 "battery replacement" too.

4ppleJack

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Earth
Ummmm...🤔

7S3mAkG.png

(Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad on latest Ventura)

Edit - Switched off and on, then repaired and it's now at 2.0.6 (originally was on 1.6.0). Seems if you repair whilst it's charging it'll show a firmware version of 8.7.0; what a weird bug...

Last edited:
Reactions: zecanard and HDFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.