Apple Releases Minor watchOS 3.2.3 Update for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 3.2.2 to watchOS 3.2.3. The watchOS 3.2.3 update comes two months after the release of watchOS 3.2.2, which introduced bug fixes.

watchOS 3.2.3 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

An iPhone running iOS 10 or later is required to download the new software, but it is available for all Apple Watch models.

During the beta testing period for watchOS 3.2.3, no major changes or new outward-facing features were discovered, so watchOS 3.2.3, like watchOS 3.2.2 appears to focus mainly on performance improvements and bug fixes.

watchOS 3 will soon be succeeded by a new version of watchOS, watchOS 4, which was introduced at the June Worldwide Developers Conference.

Article Link: Apple Releases Minor watchOS 3.2.3 Update for Apple Watch

2. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I'm more than happy to get performance improvements rather than new features at this point. Not complaining, but sometimes new things to play with come with a cost like eating battery life, or instability.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It would be nice to see itemized update notes for the Watch, indicating certain aspects what was tweaked or improved.

4. blacktape242 macrumors 65832

blacktape242

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It says the watch must be charged to 50% in order to update, but not that it is required to be on the charger. However, the next line says "do not restart Apple Watch or remote it form its charger until the update completes".

Interesting.

6. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Dear Apple: When my watch is sitting at 75% battery, I have more than enough power to get me through a software update. Please remove the requirement to have the watch on the charger. It's a real pain in the arse that brings zero benefit, as far as I can see.

7. Mlrollin91, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Did you see what I posted above? It no longer has that requirement. My watch update is 80% downloaded, and its on my wrist.

Edit:
    Well it required the charger to install. Normally it doesn't even download if its not on the charger. So maybe it is a sign of things to come.

8. tob! macrumors regular

Not true.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I've had my watch for over 2 years now. I can tell you with 100% certainty, previous updates would not download unless I had the watch connected. It said "Paused. Will resume when connected to charger." It was the same message as if you were not connected to WiFi.

10. tob! macrumors regular

I think that was only the case for watchOS 1, maybe 2. I certainly had Updates progress to the install stage before requiring a charger before.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I never tried with watchOS 3. Because it always didn't work with 1/2. So regardless my point is still valid.

12. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Think I'll wait a couple days before updating to see if people report any battery life issues. It seems like 3.2.2 may have cut my battery life down a small bit; plus I think I recall some complaints from devs regarding at least one of the 3.2.3 betas.

Yup, my feelings exactly. The watch already does what I need it to do.

13. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

And sometimes add a learning curve. It needs to be simple and efficient. Anything else, and it's just crap.

14. slappypig macrumors member

slappypig

Update went rather quickly for me compared to other minor updates. It did, annoyingly reboot 3 times before it came back to normal use and this was even after I was notified that the apple watch update installation was completed.

This was about 2 hours ago or so and thus far no complaints. Just finished an hour+ workout, using a combination of different apps that keep constant heart rate check, and the battery is showing 98%.

Cheers

15. ericg301 macrumors 65816

i hate how long these Watch OS updates take. i hope they figure out a different approach for the next-gen hardware.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

My watch is fantastic.

My only wish is that the awfully long pause when dictating messages would go away.

17. cindynor macrumors newbie

cindynor

Updating mine now...the message says to be connected to wifi and have at least 50% charge...nothing else. Yea!

18. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I really wish I didn't have to restart my devices over and over, connect and reconnect my Wi-Fi multiple times, get a ton of messages saying the watch isn't in range, etc to update.

Bah!

19. cindynor macrumors newbie

cindynor

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It will eventually tell you to connect to a charger. :/

21. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Sure feels like as the watch gets faster the updates get slower. For such a minor rev update, it's taking an extremely long time (10min and the circle is just over 25% done).

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Its always been like that. No matter how big or small the update, the install time is slow.

23. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

It's a liability issue for Apple, as installing a watchOS software update can potentially brick the device or cause problems if interrupted. They want to have as many failsafes as possible, especially if the watch battery has reached its limit of charging/discharging cycles.

24. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Yep. Got that w/ the last update. It started to go, and I thought I was golden, then 'sorry, please connect to charger'. :(
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    Wouldn't the same risk exist with an iPhone or iPad? I'm not required to be plugged in to update them.

25. avanpelt macrumors 68030

With an iPhone or iPad, a user with a computer can plug the iOS device in and restore it from the comfort of their home if an iOS update fails and the device refuses to boot. With the watch, there is absolutely nothing the user can do if the watchOS update fails and the watch refuses to boot. The only option is to send the watch to Apple. They can't even do a restore on the watch in an Apple Store, from what I understand.