Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the release of iOS 11.4.1, the latest update to the iOS operating system, Apple has also released new 11.4.1 software that's designed for the HomePod.

The new HomePod software will be installed automatically on the HomePod after you update to iOS 11.4, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

homepoddesign-800x450.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the 11.4.1 update for the HomePod includes "general improvements for stability and quality," with no further details provided.

The new software comes over a month after Apple released the 11.4 update for the HomePod, which introduced stereo support and multi-room audio functionality through AirPlay 2.

Article Link: Apple Releases New 11.4.1 Update for HomePod

Reactions: PSURob

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Happy to see this update. Siri on my HomePod has gotten noticeably slower in the past couple of days. Issuing a HomeKit command used to be instant. Now, Siri says "just a second", sometimes multiple times, before the command is executed.

That is likely to be something in the Siri server since the problem came on spontaneously, but maybe it was an incompatibility from an update made to the Siri server to work with the OS update that has now been released.

Reactions: PSURob

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Happy to see this update. Siri on my HomePod has gotten noticeably slower in the past couple of days. Issuing a HomeKit command used to be instant. Now, Siri says "just a second", sometimes multiple times, before the command is executed.

That is likely to be something in the Siri server since the problem came on spontaneously, but maybe it was an incompatibility from an update made to the Siri server to work with the OS update that has now been released.
I have noticed this too - more false triggers and less success in hearing the trigger when I actually use it

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yes! It fixed it! HomeKit commands are now instant again.

My HomePod also had an issue with it going hard of hearing for no reason. Sometimes my HomePod could hear me whispering from across the room, other times I would have to shout at it while standing a couple of metres away. Both of these problems are now fixed.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I’ve had no trouble with the stereo pairing, but talk (podcasts, NPR, etc) on the stereo HomePods via AirPlay 2 sound weird - out of synch

Same here with radio stations via AirPlay. I sometimes have to re-press the check mark button to fix it.

Reactions: Ted13

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yes! It fixed it! HomeKit commands are now instant again.

My HomePod also had an issue with it going hard of hearing for no reason. Sometimes my HomePod could hear me whispering from across the room, other times I would have to shout at it while standing a couple of metres away. Both of these problems are now fixed.

Mine was starting to do the same thing, glad to see they have addressed this.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I wonder if this changes the sound signature again?

Happy I can update all remotely from work. Let’s see if they sound different when I get home.

It says improvements for quality, I would not be surprised if that refers to sound quality.

MaaK

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2014
It says improvements for quality, I would not be surprised if that refers to sound quality.

I think the sound HAS changed. Bass is a little less hard in my opinion. Listened to two songs and they sound slightly different. Not sure if I like it that way. Maybe it is just something I have to get used to. But in my opinion they changed the way it sounds...

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
They ruined the homepods bass is not like when it first came out, just give us a eq setting

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
My HomePod is on 11.3 and says no new updates....?

Is your phone updated? Not sure if it's like the Watch where it has to be updated first and then the update will show. If not, then it should at least be on 11.4 by now if automatic updates is turned on in the Home app.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Is your phone updated? Not sure if it's like the Watch where it has to be updated first and then the update will show. If not, then it should at least be on 11.4 by now if automatic updates is turned on in the Home app.

On the latest beta build o_O

Jason.childs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014

I've had this same thing happen on 11.4....and since I'm at work, i haven't been able to test the fix, but can tell you that force quitting the home app on my iPhone would fix this lag...so I think it had something to do with communicating back to the Home app after a length of time of inactivity.

Reactions: ipedro

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Which beta, 12 or 11.4.1?

If it’s 12, then that’s probably why, since there is no HomePod 12 beta.

on 12, but surely the HomePod should show latest update...? It never showed 11.4 before I was on 12 :/

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Which beta, 12 or 11.4.1?

If it’s 12, then that’s probably why, since there is no HomePod 12 beta.
I am on iOS12 and had no issues updating the homepod to 11.4.1 through the Home app.

To the other poster, did you install any beta profiles or anything on your homepod previously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.