Apple releases new Ad for the iPad 2. We believe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petvas, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

love it!

they should have mentioned how technology should be cheap too. for 95% of people an ipad could meet all their needs and at just $500 that is a steal for something so nice and easy to use!

2. ziggyonice, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

A really good representation of what Apple is striving to do in the "post PC" era. It's not about tech specs anymore (although those are still important things). Rather, Apple is leading in the innovation of consumer experience, which perhaps, is more essential to a product's success than simply its size, memory, screen resolution, etc. The future leaders of technology will be the ones that entice their customers through the brilliance and personal connections made with their products.

Engadget wrote a great article about this a while back, in case you're interested.
    And if you're not interested, maybe you'll prefer this link instead. :)

3. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

you cheeky bastard....

4. JM2-uk macrumors member

Post pc era?

Could you remind me.....

What is the VERY first thing an ipad wants you to do? and if you don't do it, what does the ipad do?

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Post-PC era doesn't mean you won't need PCs. It's about different types of devices, that you use differently and interact with differently and that don't try to be the same thing as PCs.

6. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Very nice ad.

I'd buy one.....oh I already did. Lol.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Great Ad, one of the best that Apple have done for a long time. Much better in my opinion to talk about the + of your product and what you are trying to do, rather than knock the competition.

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The ad is great.

Cisco really needs to learn from this.

9. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I don't remember Peter Coyote being the voice of Apple before...Is this new for voiceovers by him or have I just not noticed?

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's staggering, the amount of people who still have no clue what Jobs means by 'Post-PC'. He's been saying it since 2007.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Best ad in a while. I love how they have changed it up with the dark backdrop. It gives me the perception that the iPad is a lot less toyish.

And garage bands guitar looked life like, almost 3D in the Ad.

12. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Also, due to shadow, allows it to look even slimmer than it actually is

13. aibo82 macrumors 6502

MEH!! the white one never got no spot light!

That would of had people flocking!

14. djon41 macrumors regular

Ha, this is the first thing I noticed as well.

All in all a great ad though.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I take it, you meant that as a joke and typed it tongue in cheek, as they say?

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. JeffMorse macrumors regular

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

This strikes me as an ad geared towards older people, like parents, who may not quite understand the appeal of an iPad. Therefore I must conclude it's actually a propaganda film funded by the group Children Who Want iPads for Christmas!, or CWiC!, as they prefer to be called.

19. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I loved the ad. My wife rolled her eyes when I had to rewind in order to watch it again.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....so you think Apple should spend money on ads promoting the iPad to people who understand it and have likely already bought it?:confused:

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

He was also the voice for the iPad ads last year, including the famous "What is iPad" commercial. IIRC, he is ONLY doing iPad commercials, much like the iPhone voice actor is only doing iPhone commercials.

But then it's not really post-PC is it? It's more like the "tandem-PC" era. For a lot of people (in certain professions especially) the iPad seems to be purely additional because it can't do what their notebook does. It's still a fun and cool device and I'll probably get one so I can watch movies in bed/while cooking or play some games, but I don't think I could write long documents or do exhaustive research on it like I'd have to for my eventual job.

I can definitely see how it will be very useful in a lot of other ways though, but the software and hardware isn't there 100% for some things, though I expect it will rapidly catch up as people figure out ways to make use of the new interactive method.

As for the commercial, I thought it was ok, but very typical of all the iPad commercials. The iPad commercials have been some of the worst overall in my opinion because they've been trying too hard. A good commercial should seem effortless. It should only try to do one of three things: make us laugh, make us cry, or amaze us.

One of the best Apple commercials in recent times was the original Macbook Air commercial where "New Soul" is playing and a hand pulls the air out of a manilla envelope. That is a great commercial because it amazes us without words or explanations. Apple needs to have another commercial that does something similarly amazing with the iPad. Instead of trying to tell us all the ways you can use an iPad, just show us one amazing thing about it. That commercial would be far more powerful and effective.

22. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

love the ad, you can see the backlight bleedings :rolleyes: