Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new beta firmware update for the original AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, AirPods 3, and AirPods Max. The new firmware is 6A307, up from the prior 6A300 firmware released in September. The updates are limited to developers at the current time.

airpods-pro-2-pink.jpg

Apple does not often provide details or notes on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new.

Apple does not offer instructions on how to upgrade AirPods software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iOS device or Mac should force the update.

You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Connect your ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌ to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
If we learn more about what's new in the firmware update, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Beta Firmware for AirPods Pro, AirPods, and AirPods Max

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I can't speak for others but the Bluetooth connection on my 2nd generation AirPods Pros has been really flaky lately, regardless of which device it's connected to. Hopefully part of what Apple is trying to do with these firmware updates is improve reliability. Today it randomly skipped part of a song (like two parts were mushed together) and then stopped entirely. I never have this problem with Apple Music played through speaker or CarPlay.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Ok, back to some seriousness:

I have noticed what looks to be a few bugs that have to do with battery drain and battery charging. Once in a while, I notice that after one earpod charges to 100%, the other earpod which might be at 80% will stop charging. You'd think that it should level out so that both pods attain the same level of charge.

I also notice that there sometimes is a drastic difference in battery usage between the two. I think it's reasonable to think that there could be a 5% or so difference in battery charge when being used since one pod is doing the supposedly heavily lifting of communicating to the phone (my assumption; I could be wrong). But sometimes I see a difference of maybe 10% or close to 15% or more! That doesn't seem right.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
I'm pretty sure since iOS16 (maybe earlier?) there is now a dedicated AirPods section that appears directly after your profile info in Settings, once the AirPods have been connected, that lists the Firmware without having to dig into General.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Never had these many updates to earphones/headphones. And i'm not complaining.

Also have/had Bose 700 and Beats Studio 3. They maybe got 2 updates max in their lifetime.

Reactions: msackey

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
• What is the latest firmware version of the case for AirPods Pro (gen 1)?

• Where is this information published?

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
This past update has been pretty solid for me sound wise and connectivity-wise so, I hope they don't change too much.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Apple doesn't appear to even acknowledge that the case has a separate firmware. As far as I can tell, it only gets updated with the Pods and it's never mentioned in the release notes.

Which is why I asked the question. ;)

philstubbington

macrumors 6502

Apple today introduced a new beta firmware update for the original AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, AirPods 3, and AirPods Max. The new firmware is 6A307, up from the prior 6A300 firmware released in September. The updates are limited to developers at the current time.

airpods-pro-2-pink.jpg

Apple does not often provide details or notes on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new.

Apple does not offer instructions on how to upgrade AirPods software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iOS device or Mac should force the update.

• Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
If we learn more about what's new in the firmware update, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Beta Firmware for AirPods Pro, AirPods, and AirPods Max
Seems to get progressively worse with every update. Used to be able to use them for calls and for music, now unusable for calls and have to turn the volume down or leave them half hanging out of my ear for music.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I have an Apple developer account. So betas already show up under my iOS and tvOS updates sections.

However, I don't see anything updating on my AirPods Pro, nor is there any beta option to do so. What's the trick?

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
I have an Apple developer account. So betas already show up under my iOS and tvOS updates sections.

However, I don't see anything updating on my AirPods Pro, nor is there any beta option to do so. What's the trick?
have to use Xcode to turn on developer tolls on your phone to enable. a quick google search and there are easy step by steps

Reactions: sparky672

anthogag

Suspended
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Why are the L or R letters on white AirPods almost invisible? Apple needs a genius to stand-up at a meeting and say “I had a dream the L/R letters on AirPods are black…space black.“

Reactions: snash22

uczcret

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2021
England

Once you have enabled developer mode on your iPhone, follow the guide below from step 3 onwards to enrol your AirPods on beta firmware. Worked for my APP2 and APM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/comments/142mk1f

Reactions: sparky672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.