Apple Releases New Earth Day Video at Sustainable Brands Event

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new Earth Day 2017 video on its YouTube channel, which comes more than a month after Earth Day took place.

The video, which follows the theme of the previous Earth Day spots Apple released, focuses on Liam, Apple's recycling robot that strips iPhones down to their component parts.

The ad was created by Apple environment lead Lisa Jackson and her team to mark Apple's attendance at Sustainable Brands 2017, a Detroit conference for business leaders committed to brand value creation through sustainability.

Sarah Chandler, Apple's Director of Operations and Environmental Initiatives, was in Detroit to speak at the event, where she talked about Apple's latest pledge to achieve a closed-loop supply chain. Chandler works under Lisa Jackson and is responsible for Apple's effort to use greener materials, conserve finite resources, and reduce the environmental impact of the company's supply chain.

Inspired by the @Apple effort pursuing zero waste manufacturing. #sb17detroit pic.twitter.com/UbsXIjqx8q - Cool Choices (@CoolChoices) May 25, 2017

Apple first announced its goal to use 100 percent recycled materials for products ahead of Earth Day, with the publishing of its 2017 Environmental Responsibility Report. Apple's eventual goal is to stop mining the earth for rare minerals and metals by focusing more heavily on recycled products.

"We're actually doing something we rarely do, which is announce a goal before we've figured out how to do it," Lisa Jackson said in April. "So we're a little nervous, but we also think it's really important, because as a sector we believe it's where technology should be going."

Liam, the robot featured in today's extra Earth Day video, will play an important role helping Apple reach its goal. Apple plans to double down on technologies like Liam, as well as put more effort into emphasizing its Apple Renew recycling program.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Earth Day Video at Sustainable Brands Event

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
What a crap video! I wish Apple would fire Tim Cook and his entire exec team so Apple will be less of a SJW and more of a electronics creator! But we know that won't happen any time soon. :(
Apple is being vandalized by mediocracy. Totally agreed with you. And the sort of things I have to say about Tim Cook would have me banned from this forum. Even they are all true.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Nice marketing spin for rehashing the same design and components for three generations.

"Buy iPhone because it's Earth friendly."

Reactions: bwillwall and Huck

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2013
How many of these L.I.A.M. robots are actually in place and how many iPhone have been disassembled so far?

Liberate iPhone Auto-Disassembly Machine, really; who made that up?

When they first introduced that robot last year it seemed like a prototype of which they made a fancy video. Looking at this ridiculous new video, who are they kidding?

Last edited:

maceric

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Fun animation. Sort of reminds me of some older Google animations. I'm wondering how they can get 100% in their goal. Unless we all recycle all our electronics as part of a national cultural approach to getting new tech. But it'll be interesting how close they get to this goal.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
These are great. Love Apple's commitment to the environment and privacy.

Surely the people complaining about it are ironically the same who say environmental efforts should be left to the private sector. Time to just come out and say you don't give a **** about anyone but yourselves. Your kids? Yeah they can just **** right off, amiright?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Another reason to like Apple. Marketing or not, the fact that they actually have an inch of care is miles better than the competitor who literally just dump their broken phones into the landfill (Oppo did this and even boasted about it in the media).

As for the naysayers, I lost for words.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
I like this new direction, and it is important. Making products more durable* so they last longer in the first place is also a part of the solution. Using the e-waste stream as an input for supply chain materials, especially in Apple's world of full end-to-end control, is a big step and one that will yield impressive results at scale. Here again is an advantage to Apple's massive storefront network to help close that loop - make in convenient for customers to turn in their old Apple gear and know that it will get torn down for materials to make new Apple gear.

* Durability can include physical resilience, engineering for future upgrades and updates, repairability, etc. There is a balance in all these, and sometimes they conflict with each other in the short term... i.e. a glued together device may increase durability and ingress protection, and thus is less likely to break, but it is not as easy to repair should it break.

Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
I absolutely hate these videos.
Finally somebody who agrees with me, honestly I can't believe people like these. It's not that the videos have no place at all, but they are so casual and trashy in a way that has no place with Apple's name on it. Apple is a blue jeans company, but not a crappy cartoons with close ups of hairy armpits company...

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What a crap video! I wish Apple would fire Tim Cook and his entire exec team so Apple will be less of a SJW and more of a electronics creator! But we know that won't happen any time soon. :(
I don't believe ALL the executive team should be fired:

JIve - EARNED his chops over 17yrs + Sorry from Unibody 2010 MacBook (AL and polycarbonate) to iO7 onward, iMac - EVERY one of them and iPhone 6 and onward sorry He's EARNED HIS CHOPS! Name me One fully UI and Hardware designer that has done equally great works in BOTH realms over the same span of time?!
PS: The Surface Pro designer with hardware comes close great kit.

Who's the guy in charge of Internet dealings: Music + Services + AppleTV?
Yeah this guy eats like a FAT RAT BUT again HE'S EARNED HIS CHOPS! Nobody else in Apple has a CLUE to run their internet services better than this guy
More TV shows, seamless password integration, Siri + Touch-based remote controls in AppleTV4.
many many more

Creator of iOS platform or iPhone OS ... bring that guy back! He may have had clashes BUT he was a VERY forward thinker and incredible presenter: TimeMachine & iOS Multi-tasking ('brush up on your computer science skills .... this is just nuts" lol still cracks me up).

But yes a REAL push to creativity MUST be shown going forward.

Just how would apple disassemble ALL the transistors on an iPhone mono to be re-used? The processor? the accompanying chipset? Yeah right! IF INTEL, Qualcomm, Inifineon etc does NOT do this themselves then I highly doubt Apple can.

PS: speaking about Qualcomm ... Apple if you reuse the modem from the chipset's in your iPhones are we as customers supposed to be STUCK and ACCEPT using LTE 360MBPS downloads going forward into the foreseeable future?

Quite frankly the lack of in-depth insight to these type of videos seems to insult my intelligence as a person. I applaud Apple's efforts REALLY I do.

Apple time to get the iPhone SE up to speed on a unified iPhone design theme please!

needsomecoffee

macrumors regular
May 6, 2008
Seattle
WTH. Sure Liam is great for the phones Apple receives. The vast, vast majority of Apple products go to other recyclers. Apple REQUIRES all Apple products at all recyclers to be shredded. Everyone in recycling agrees this is the most egregious, planet-harming, unnecessary requirement. Why? Because Apple wants to sell more new products. I have used Apple only for nearly two decades, but the sheer hypocrisy like these Liam videos is getting hard to digest.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
No, because there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. In every system there is loss in one form or another - decay, energy, whatever. You cannot take an iPhone 5 apart, melt it down, and expect to manufacture an iPhone 7 out of it. You might, if you're lucky, get to 80% of the material you need, but you'll always have to introduce some raw material to make up the difference.

It's a noble endeavor, but also quite satisfying when reality smacks SJW'ing up side the head.

Reactions: JamesPDX