Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released new firmware for the Beats Fit Pro and Powerbeats Pro earbuds. The Beats Fit Pro and Powerbeats Pro can now be updated to firmware version 6B27, up from the prior 5B66 firmware that came out in May.

beats-fit-pro-feb23-open.jpg

Apple does not provide details on what's included in firmware updates for the Beats Fit Pro and Powerbeats Pro, so we don't know what improvements or bug fixes the firmware offers.

There's no standard way to upgrade the ‌Beats‌‌ software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the earbuds are connected to an iOS device. Putting the Beats‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting them to a power source, and then pairing them‌‌‌‌‌ to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

If we find any notable changes after the firmware update is installed, we'll share details, but the software likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes rather than outward-facing changes.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for Beats Fit Pro and Powerbeats Pro

adrianjagielak

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
Because why should it be a random guessing game to update the firmware?

Would you like that same thing for the phones and computers also?

Somehow other companies like Bose and Sony made headphone firmware updates a normal process.
It's not as advanced or "standalone" as a computer or a phone, it's an accessory

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
yeah the firmware thing is bizarre with airpods/beats.

they somehow figured out how to let the user trigger an update on other wireless only devices like homepods or the watch, etc...

and never providing any info on what's fixed is truly stupid.

Reactions: jbachandouris

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
There isnt a single person that needs the update *now*
LOL, how in the **** do you know that?

Edit: I think the thing that irks people is the inability to do it when they want to, not some arbitrary time that is outside of their control. Just because you may not need it right now, doesn't mean someone else doesn't want full control over their decision.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
And some people would tell you there's nothing wrong with this being the process.
LOL, yeah. Some people will defend Apple to a fault.

If the firmware process is triggered from the phone, why not simply put a button "update firmware", from the section that pops up with all the settings/info from the connected airpods.

may be someone has a patent on the update button procedure for wireless earbuds and apple doesnt wanna pay lol.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
LOL, how in the **** do you know that?

Edit: I think the thing that irks people is the inability to do it when they want to, not some arbitrary time that is outside of their control. Just because you may not need it right now, doesn't mean someone else doesn't want full control over their decision.

If there’s one thing that annoys the kind of computer nerds that post in forums, it’s lack of control over their own software. At least, it was back in my day when I was a young nerd posting on forums.

I know it’s not our own software. The software vendors make that more clear than ever these days.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Will it fix the “wings” from breaking off?
^^^^ THIS. I love my Beats Fit Pro — except for this glaring design defect. I had one set replaced under AppleCare, but now that’s expired, so when this pair inevitably fails and the wings tear off, I need to what, buy another couple hundred dollar pair of earbuds? Blech. Very very disappointing.

1984 Mac Guru

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
nyc
Can confirm update happened within a couple of hours after plugging in briefly, and making sure it’s connected. I occasionally checked and opened the case periodically. Then forgot for about an hour and checked and it was updated to 6B27.

halo9

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2023
Hopefully this fixes the issue with the powerbeats pro where the right earbud keeps turning off every 15-20mins due to low battery. Even though it was 100% just before. Such an annoying issue where the only solution is to put it in the case for a few seconds and it instantly is charged again and works….. for 15 or so minutes and turns off saying low battery again. A horrible cycle that is so annoying. Now to just try and force the update…. Hahaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.