Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatko

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
My 15" HD pbook is flawless. almost.

The lower right hand side of the unit, where the dvd burner is, the casing isn't completely flush and makes noises when I apply pressure. (when I type)

Oh yea, and my Powerbook came missing a mouse button! It only has one!!!

Seriously, the single mouse button on the powerbook is horrible :mad: , at least from a switcher's point of view. I love osx, I love this machine, but I think having a single mouse button is one of the worst design decisions ever. A control click or should I say, right click, is so hard and clunky to do it boggles the mind to think that apple engineers got together and thought it was real nice. It's not simple at all... it's a complicated technique to achieve a simple outcome.

Anyway, I am selling this powerbook to my sister (another convert who this will be their first mac) when the intel powerbooks come out. (I am a programmer and need the speed) With the advent of the mighty mouse (which I own and is mildly dissapointing for an Apple product) does anyone know/think that powerbook trackpads will receive the multibutton treatment? I freaking hope so... I'd also like if they licensed the trackpoint technology from IBM, I love that... blows away any trackpad.

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
Zatko said:
does anyone know/think that powerbook trackpads will receive the multibutton treatment?

No news on an dual-button trackpads on the new PowerBooks, but if Apple did implement such a thing they'd do something weird with it. For example, the mighty mouse refuses to actually be a dual-button mouse, and two-finger scrolling replaces the usual scroll area that is seen on most PCs. Personally, I think Apple did a great job with two-finger scrolling, but were too stubborn with the mighty mouse to admit that two buttons really would be better. For a current solution to the control-click annoyance, check out iScroll 2 (google it). It allows you to "right click" by placing two fingers on the trackpad and clicking. It's much more intuitive, but placing a second finger can sometimes move the cursor a little, which can be annoying. You might want to give it a try.

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
generik said:
Check out this link:
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/

I personally feel that Applecare is not worth it, the $350 loss that you take now can easily cover the depreciation you will get when reselling your PB 1 year from now (to upgrade, and to get "new" warranty)

By the way, Applecare does NOT cover accidents like spilling drinks into your computer etc, so it is really a moot point.

FSB is the bus connecting the CPU to main memory.

thanks for the info and the link. I'm actually hoping to holdon to this PB for a while, pretty much until it dies. I'm planning on just beating the crap out of it [not literally] and using it as much as I can within the first 90 days while it's under warranty. Hopefully any problems there might be with the unit will occur during this trial period. Anybody else have any experiences with applecare? and how come applecare is particularly expensive for the PB's? (as opposed to some of the other Macs)

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
CowboyTurbo said:
Hopefully any problems there might be with the unit will occur during this trial period. Anybody else have any experiences with applecare? and how come applecare is particularly expensive for the PB's? (as opposed to some of the other Macs)
You can actually wait until just before the one year warranty expires to purchase AppleCare. There is no reason to buy it when you first purchase your PB because you can always add it later (within the first year warranty period). Decide in 11 months if you want to spend the money for extended coverage and support. In fact, if your experience is anything like mine, Apple will call you several times to make sure you have an opportunity to purchase AppleCare for your PB before the warranty runs out.

AppleCare for PB's is more expensive because they include the screen and they are likely more prone to damage as they are portable. The actuaries probably just figure that a desktop that sits in one place and doesn't move is less likely to have hardware problems than a laptop.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
skinEman23 said:
No news on an dual-button trackpads on the new PowerBooks, but if Apple did implement such a thing they'd do something weird with it. For example, the mighty mouse refuses to actually be a dual-button mouse, and two-finger scrolling replaces the usual scroll area that is seen on most PCs. Personally, I think Apple did a great job with two-finger scrolling, but were too stubborn with the mighty mouse to admit that two buttons really would be better. For a current solution to the control-click annoyance, check out iScroll 2 (google it). It allows you to "right click" by placing two fingers on the trackpad and clicking. It's much more intuitive, but placing a second finger can sometimes move the cursor a little, which can be annoying. You might want to give it a try.

I have gotten quite used to the one button thingy after a while.

I still prefer to plug in a 2 button mouse when I'm at a desk, but for the most part the one button mouse trackpad does not bother me much.

Zatko

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
iScroll2 doesn't support the new PBs

skinEman23 said:

Sounds like it could have been good. I use my mighty mouse 95% of the time, because I am usually working at a desk. But, my sister will definately be the type who lays on the couch and uses the trackpad. Over the weekend I was showing the powerbook off to her and she was thrilled. Then she asked me how to right click and when I told her she gave me the dirtiest look... you know.. the "WTF" look. I told her not to worry and that you get used to it (i lied).

Anyway, to start gobbling up windows marketshare, this issue needs to be addressed and put to rest. The stockholders should demand it. My 2 cents.

My 300 dollar ipod has more than one button, why can't my 2000 dollar laptop? Am I preaching to the choir or am I just a big crybaby?

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I would get Applecare if you plan on keeping your computer for a while. Sure, $350 is a a few bucks, but chances are that any one repair will likely exceed that. And you can think of it this way - $350 to extend the warranty for two years is less than 50 cents a day. But you might also have other warranty options - maybe your credit card doubles the warranty or something.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
tristan said:
I would get Applecare if you plan on keeping your computer for a while. Sure, $350 is a a few bucks, but chances are that any one repair will likely exceed that. And you can think of it this way - $350 to extend the warranty for two years is less than 50 cents a day. But you might also have other warranty options - maybe your credit card doubles the warranty or something.
Eh...few people actually use their AppleCare plans. Apple's standard warranty should be longer than what it is now.

Interesting we haven't heard any news about possibe Intel PBs at MWSF...:(

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Well - I finally got my 1GB ddr2 ram chip (Crucial certified, $150) - I can have about every app open on my powerbook w/no lag which is awesome (Adobe CS Suite, Logic Pro, Final Cut HD, full iLife suite, MS office all apps) about 20 apps which is awesome - but I did the speed PS render test (look in computer forum) and I'm getting around 2m45sec which is rediculous for this system! 1.5GB ddr2 ram, 100GB 7200rpm drive, 128mb video card...what the hell!!! I'm seriously upset, mac minis are beating my powerbook.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
mongoos150 said:
Well - I finally got my 1GB ddr2 ram chip (Crucial certified, $150) - I can have about every app open on my powerbook w/no lag which is awesome (Adobe CS Suite, Logic Pro, Final Cut HD, full iLife suite, MS office all apps) about 20 apps which is awesome - but I did the speed PS render test (look in computer forum) and I'm getting around 2m45sec which is rediculous for this system! 1.5GB ddr2 ram, 100GB 7200rpm drive, 128mb video card...what the hell!!! I'm seriously upset, mac minis are beating my powerbook.

Ironically the newer PBs are slightly worse off than the older ones due to the new DDR2 memory.

While they still run at the same speed, the new DDR2 modules actually have a longer latency, which does hurt performance somewhat.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
From what I remember, I think mine (same but 2GB) did it in the advertised-by-many 2min 20seconds time.

Did you restart before taking the test?

I find that after a while, OSX is eating up 8GB+ of virtual memory - maybe this slows things down.

mongoos150 said:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
kenstee said:
Obsolete? You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Yonah people have their PBs for a few months and then Merom comes out! That will be the true definition of obsolete.

Why is this? So... does this mean that people should wait for Merom and not buy Apple's with Yonahs? Honestly, it doesn't matter to me becuase im gonna get a cheap PPC iBook for a couple of reasons. 1) Merom is supposed to be a totally new, awesome chip so it is sorta stupid to buy an iBook with yonah. 2) Things will be a little iffy for about a year because of switching to Intel will cause a small amount of trouble with apps and stability AND with a totally new chip coming out soon, all companies using Intel chips will have some trouble probably due to the new technology in the Merom processors.

Then, when my iBook slows down in 2-4 years, ill get an Intel iBook with probably a Merom-based chip which will kick butt and things will probably stable that far into the future. So IMHO, i think its best to get a PPC Apple bc theyre fine and dandy and when the new Conroe(desktop) and Merom(laptop) processors come out in about a year, then you can get an Intel mac bc for now, apple will be using older, worse chips bc in less than a year, intel will be switching to new chip technologies.

sofla100

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2005
Miami, Florida
Applecare worth it or not?

I will be running out on the 1 year warranty in about 2 months from now. I have the 1.67 15 in PB that came out early this year. I did have the screen repaired once under warranty due to some black spots. But, that was after some hassle as to if it was "my fault" or not. The cost, Apple covered, was $299. Good deal for me however as I got the higher resolution, new screen with that. But, I do wonder if Apple care is worth it or not. Even if the screen goes and it is $300 to replace, which is the most likely problem, that would be close to the cost of Apple care and my biggest concern is hassling with them. As mentioned, Apple care is not going to cover if they think it was
"your fault" somehow, which I think is a crock but that is how it goes.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
The long anticipated PowerBook updates offer higher resolution screens and other improvements:

- 15", 1440x960 resolution screen, $1999
- 17", 1680x1050 resolution screen, $2499

All PowerBooks come with Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR, integrated AirPort Extreme, scrolling TrackPad, and Apple Sudden Motion Sensor technology. SuperDrives are standard as is Apple 30" Cinema HD Display support. One hour more battery life in the 15" and 17" models.

PowerBooks are shipping today. Press Release.[/QUOTE]

Without going down the spec sheet item by item, this looks like the same PB I purchased in November. After using Dells since Amiga went under, I love my G4.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Still going strong...

My last generation 15"PB Hi-Res/DL with its maxed out 2Gb Ram is still going strong (running Aperture, Adobe, Office) without a hitch.

If it weren't running so well, I would've considered upgrading. Oh well, I gues I will have to wait for the next iteration of the Core2Duo for my next upgrade.

Cheers!

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
My last generation 15"PB Hi-Res/DL with its maxed out 2Gb Ram is still going strong (running Aperture, Adobe, Office) without a hitch.

If it weren't running so well, I would've considered upgrading. Oh well, I gues I will have to wait for the next iteration of the Core2Duo for my next upgrade.

Cheers!

Do you realize how OLD this thread is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.