Apple Releases New 'Server' Configuration of Mac Pro to Replace Xserve

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One item of interest that was overlooked in this morning's news that Apple is discontinuing the Xserve is that the company has added a new standard configuration to its Mac Pro lineup. The new "Server" configuration offers an entry-level 2.8 GHz quad-core processor with 8 GB of RAM, two 1 TB hard drives, and Mac OS X Server for $2999.

The specs on the Mac Pro Server configuration can be boosted with a full range of build-to-order options, including processor options up to dual 2.93 GHz six-core Westmere chips, up to 32 GB of RAM, additional hard drives, a second optical drive, RAID card, Fibre Channel PCI Express card, and Xsan storage area network software.

While Apple's "non-server" Mac Pro options could (and still can) be configured with Mac OS X Server, the new Server configuration offers an optimized starting point for building a machine to focus on server tasks rather than act as a workstation.

Article Link: Apple Releases New 'Server' Configuration of Mac Pro to Replace Xserve

dlewis23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Well that was quick to replace the serve. Now only if I had a need for OS X Server.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Interesting, but there is no way to rack mount it, so it can't be a true replacement.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Well we already have Mac Mini Colo, now we need Mac Pro Colo. Although it may be quite difficult to fit one of these on a rack :D

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I guess that rack mount servers never really sold well for Apple.

But for those companies that used them, this is a real PITA. Tower cases just never fit nicely into the server room.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Missing :

- Hot swap, redundant power supplies
- compact form factor with racking option
- power efficiency
- Hot swap drives from dedicated bays that don't require pulling the server.

Yep, not quite a replacement.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Well I guess that means apple isn't about ready to drop OSX server any time soon.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Interesting, but there is no way to rack mount it, so it can't be a true replacement.
Lol, I was about to say that. No rack mount it's going to be a deal breaker in many cases. Couldn't Apple redesign it a little instead of recycling the old Mac Pro case? Does it support Hot-Pluggable drives?

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany

But for those companies that used them, this is a real PITA. Tower cases just never fit nicely into the server room.
Surprising, i thought mounting racks would've sold well. my tower isnt a PITA when it's mounting racks

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Missing :

- power efficiency

No, but I think apple has given up on the enteprise sector. This configuration allows small businesses to run a server but it largely ignores the larger organizations, like colleges and such

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
No hot swap is a real problem, for me at least. I was really hoping to add an Xserve to replace the QNAP drive I'm currently using. Hope that Apple has a real solution coming soon.........

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Can't imagine their xserve business was very good, I think they are just focusing on their consumer market (or people with small web servers).

Caharin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Man, this really stinks. I really liked the look of multiple rack-mounted Xserves. There's nothing quite like the look of a nice, full rack.

... ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No, but I think apple has given up on the enteprise sector. This configuration allows small businesses to run a server but it largely ignores the larger organizations, like colleges and such
And it's exactly the opposite I see as Apple's customers for OS X Servers. Smaller business have no need for things like Update Server or AFP with Spotlight support, Open Directory etc..

It's the larger installed based that have big Mac Deployments that want centralized management of their clients that would want something like OS X Server.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Missing :

- power efficiency

You're right about that. The features you list above are must have requirements in some industries.
So this could mean limiting the appeal of the Apple Server to a much narrower market than before. :mad:@:apple:

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Or dual PSU option. Would never qualify in any of the enterprise environments I've worked in as a "Server". We would get laughed out of the building if we tried to bring in such a unit.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK

100% agree - any server room worth it's salt moved away from standalone servers a long time ago - rack mounted 1 & 2 U servers along with blade configurations are commonplace.

I'm not sure Apple really bought into this market - Compaq(and later HP) along with Dell have this market covered for the vast majority of companies server requirements.

However a virtualised OS X Server product running on VMWare ESXi hypervisor would be pretty cool and probably get more traction then dedicated Apple hardware.

Luman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Yep, that pretty much fits the bill for my situation. I guess it makes financial sense to Apple, but man, this just feels like such a bash over the head for all those who did buy these things. A co-worker of mine was looking into getting a new one soon, we've been wondering if and when new ones would come out..

I still find it hard to believe Apple wouldn't replace the Xserve with something else.. EOL the Xserve but bring out a new sever, different name, etc. Still feels like this leaves out a part of their business. It's probably just a pipe dream.

And there's no way the group that governs our server room will rack mount one of these things, we'll be the laughing stock of anyone who walks in. K-12 & Higher Ed have been left out to pasture (not entirely ok, but in terms of management, servers, etc.) with this move.

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Good move for Apple. I have never seen an XServe, nor do I know ANYONE who has ever bought one. That could not have been a money maker for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
nice, i've been wondering when someone will release a server with a 1GB graphics card that can play Crysis. Time to dump HP

$3000 for a server with a Nehalem CPU. is this some kind of joke? nobody buys that old crap anymore

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
any small business with an owner who has brains will go to the cloud. cheaper to use Amazon EC2

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Nice... now slim it down to 2U (with a slide-out rack mount), make the drives hot-swappable and add a second PSU. The Mac Pro is way overdue for a redesign anyway.