Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a not entirely surprise release, Apple has updated the MacBooks based on Intel's Penryn processors. The update arrives alongside the long anticipated MacBook Pro updates.

$1099. Macbook 13" 2.1GHz / 1GB / 120GB / Combo / White
$1299. Macbook 13" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Super / White
$1499. Macbook 13" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 250GB / Super / Black

The new MacBooks are available on the Apple Store.

Article Link

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Very nice. Surprised they came at the same time as the MBP, and now it is really just the graphics card that is separating them.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i think the biggest update is the fact that it no longer costs 700 dollars for 4gb ram..now only $400:D

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
No multitouch and still has a combo drive in the base version. I won't bitch and moan since this thing wasn't supposed to be updated anyway...

Zacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Very nice. Surprised they came at the same time as the MBP, and now it is really just the graphics card that is separating them.

and the backlit keyboard, multi-touch and speed. Seems like they increased the gap between, no lessened it.

j_holtslander

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Yay!
Ok what's changed here?. (I'm half asleep and just woke up to check the store.) + I'm not a stat expert on the MBPs.
Increased processor speed,
multitouch,
is the video card different?

teamdelfano

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Was just thinking the same thing - I cannot believe they are still shipping these things! Totally pathetic.

its just a way for them to get people to jump up to the next price point. and yes, pathetic being that dvd writers are so cheap these days

DHUK

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
No LED Screen

..and no LED backlitscreen. C'mon Apple, didn't you say you'd replace your screens with LED backlit ones early last year. The technology is there - your competitors are using it and offer cheaper alternatives.

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Changes aint big to make me regret buying mine 4 days ago.

Why not? Some of us don't want to burn DVD's, and I appreciate the fact that I didn't have to pay extra for a feature that I wouldn't use.

Same here, I don't want to pay extra for something I won't use.

shimmer11

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
No LED backlight display for the Macbook?

This is just a speed bump guys, nothing more...move along.

I was hoping for a LED backlit display. Oh well, here's to waiting until summer for a better update i guess.

-Andy

amanda kathryn

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Was just thinking the same thing - I cannot believe they are still shipping these things! Totally pathetic.

i almost got a combo, i couldn't justify the need for a super drive. i've lived without it until now and never once thought, "wow i really wish i could burn a DVD."

i can basically guaranty you i will never use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.