Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released ProRes RAW for Windows in a beta capacity (via Mark Gurman), with the software designed to allow ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ video files to be watched in compatible applications on Windows machines.

adobepremiererush.jpg

According to Apple, the software will let the files be played within several Adobe apps:
  • Adobe After Effects (Beta)
  • Adobe Media Encocder (Beta)
  • Adobe Premiere (Beta)
  • Adobe Premiere Rush (Beta)
The Apple ProRes RAW for Windows software can be downloaded from Apple's support document.

Article Link: Apple Releases ProRes RAW Beta for Windows

Last edited:
Reactions: geo88

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
Thanks for nothing Apple. Welcome to 2010, when I still needed this. I moved on to DNxHD years ago.

EDIT: Alright, enough with the haters already. I didn't read it properly and posted before coffee. I missed the RAW part.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No matter how much Apple wants to sell their machines, they have to deal with the fact that there are hybrid workflows out there, and they were dealing with the fact that if they didn't offer at least the capability to view their codec on windows, they were going to loose market share to Adobe.

Yes, of course, it's a smart move. Microsoft is killing it with their new open-source and cross-platform approaches to solutions and technologies and Apple can learn from this. Apple platforms can still aim to offer the best experience, but the Apple ecosystem should span across multiple platforms.

* and it's not "view their codec"... codec = 'compressor/decompressor' ... so it's viewing files encoded with a codec.
[automerge]1585587887[/automerge]
Professionals use MacOS? Wow, the only scenario I know where you can do professional work (in my field) is using Bootcamp or equivalent software to run Windows, and somitimes, Linux.

Where's the sarcasm /s flag on this post? If you were being serious, you know that macOS is UNIX at the core, of which Linux is a derivative.

Mac hardware are the most capable computers on the planet, able to run the widest array of software.... macOS, Windows, Linux (both directly and virtualized). Fire up the Terminal and you have command-line access like any UNIX and Linux machine out there. I run a full web server on my MacBook Air that is an exact replica of my 20+ Linux servers around the world. There's zero difference in terms of which software that I can run in that regard.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
good sign for compatibility BUT
could also mean ADOBE APPS on Windows will become the dominate platform in the future.
I really don't see the creative PRO's going with ARM based Mac OS over a powerful Threadripper 32 core AMD system running Windows 10.
[automerge]1585588486[/automerge]
if APPLE wanted a lot more sales in software they would be smart to port Windows Versions of Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X to Windows and optimize the software for windows. They would have a much larger market to sell to than the 9.5 to 10 percent OS share macOS has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodney Dangerfield

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
No matter how much Apple wants to sell their machines, they have to deal with the fact that there are hybrid workflows out there, and they were dealing with the fact that if they didn't offer at least the capability to view their codec on windows, they were going to loose market share to Adobe.

But everything on the Windows compatible application list in Apple's support doc is made by Adobe. This move is primarily there to enable Adobe. This isn't much about "loose to ". More about "enable more". Those Apple libraries aren't likey to be held exclusively for Adobe over the long term.

P.S. if the Apple libraries can be used on both Windows and macOS get more cross platform apps. If the Apple library on macOS can optionally opaquely delegate to Afterburner when appropriate then there is an advantage to getting broader adopted use of the Apple libraries.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Thank you for the heads up Mr. Gurman, this is a welcome update to those of us in the Industry working with ProRes RAW at the moment.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Where's the sarcasm /s flag on this post? If you were being serious, you know that macOS is UNIX at the core, of which Linux is a derivative.

Mac hardware are the most capable computers on the planet, able to run the widest array of software.... macOS, Windows, Linux (both directly and virtualized). Fire up the Terminal and you have command-line access like any UNIX and Linux machine out there. I run a full web server on my MacBook Air that is an exact replica of my 20+ Linux servers around the world. There's zero difference in terms of which software that I can run in that regard.

Yeah, the most advanced computers in the world, that are run by the slowest OS on the planet from the three biggest ones. The only thing that Macs are best at is web browsing, so there you have it. Proof that Macs are web browsing toys.

;)

Reactions: jackychi

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Any format wins from wider adoption. Apple wants wider adoption of Apple ProRes RAW on all platforms, including WIndows perhaps.

Reactions: OkiRun

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
good sign for compatibility BUT
could also mean ADOBE APPS on Windows will become the dominate platform in the future.
I really don't see the creative PRO's going with ARM based Mac OS over a powerful Threadripper 32 core AMD system running Windows 10.
[automerge]1585588486[/automerge]
if APPLE wanted a lot more sales in software they would be smart to port Windows Versions of Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X to Windows and optimize the software for windows. They would have a much larger market to sell to than the 9.5 to 10 percent OS share macOS has.

I think Apple is transitioning the consumer market towards iOS solutions and leaving the Mac to professionals. Apple makes much more profit off of iPhone, iPad and services than they ever have with the Mac. I’m thinking we won’t see a transition to ARM based Macs, I think we will eventually see iOS based Mac replacements running on ARM, it’s already happening with the new iPad Pro. They could even very easily flip a switch on the Apple TV and make it a desktop iOS device if they chose.

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
Except for Nvidia CUDA...???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.