Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the second public beta versions of iOS 13 and iPadOS, Apple today also released a revised third beta version of the operating systems for developers.

test-iOS-13.jpg

The reason for the new version isn't entirely clear, but the original third developer beta was not available for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus for some reason. Today's update, build 17A5522g, is only a very minor increment from the 17A5522f build of the original release, but Apple appears to be pushing it out for all devices, not just the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus that had not originally received it.

Registered developers will need to download the profile for the iOS 13 and iPadOS betas from Apple's Developer Center. The revised Beta 3 can be downloaded over-the-air once the proper profile has been installed.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Version of iOS 13 and iPadOS Developer Beta 3

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
The previous version of beta 3 had an obscure bug that was bothersome... hopefully it is fixed.

Basically if my phone ever went to a place where the signal was so bad it disconnected, it never recovered. The bars would come back, but most of the phone still thought it was offline (even if I was online on Wifi and using Chrome with no issues). Only a reboot would allow things like Maps to work again.

Comment

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Fingers crossed that the USB functionality is restored on Lightning iPads! (No external file access, USB mouse, or Ethernet support in beta 3, rev a)

Comment

hajime

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2007
On my iPP, after update, it says it is under 13.0.

Last edited:
Comment

csalm87

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
The previous version of beta 3 had an obscure bug that was bothersome... hopefully it is fixed.

Basically if my phone ever went to a place where the signal was so bad it disconnected, it never recovered. The bars would come back, but most of the phone still thought it was offline (even if I was online on Wifi and using Chrome with no issues). Only a reboot would allow things like Maps to work again.

I noticed that issue as well. If it isn't fixed, I will report it. Hope you do the same!

Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Happy to see an update as well. Most of the time could not swipe to answer a call and You Tube on the iPad had issues with closing a video to watch another. Beta is like that, no complaint just sharing.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Needed this. On my XS, it was the worst beta so far. Wouldn’t detect my swiping input on the home screen for the first 2-3 swipes and would lose all data (3G/LTE) at least once a day.

I doubt there's many fixes in this given that the build number only changed by the letter suffix at the end (from f to g). I would wait until the next 'proper' release (next week maybe?).

Comment

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I was having slow wifi, and constant drop outs in beta 2 and 3 (both iPad and iPhone). This now seems be be fixed *knock on wood*.

I’m on a mesh network, so that may have been part of it as I didn’t see others complaining.

Reactions: Premium1
Comment

swankier

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
I wish that for a final iOS 13, the "install to home screen" feature was exposed in the browser so that Progressive Web Apps could come to life.

It would essentially be a fancy 'bookmark to the home screen' feature that would be very useful. Chrome solves this with the beforeinstallprompt event on desktop and mobile.

The current status quo of a popup that instructs users on where to click on the 'share' icon is a disastrous user experience. It is summarised humorously in the webkit bugzilla at https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193959:

site: "Would you like to install this app?"
user: "Sure, how do I do that?"
site: "OK, well I'm going to assume you're in Safari and not some 3rd party browser. Start by clicking on the Share button at the bottom of the screen."
user: "I can't see a Share button"
site: "It's probably hidden. Scroll back up a little bit to reveal the buttons, then click the Share button."
user: "OK, got it"
site: "Now click the 'Add to homescreen' button"
user: "I can't see that button"
site: "OK, you might have to scroll horizontally on the bottom row of icons to find it"
user: "OK, found it"
site: "Great, now just click 'Add' in the top right hand corner, and you're done"
user: "Done. You're lucky I love your app because that was really annoying."

Comment

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Please let them fix the issue where video playback bombs out to the watch now screen every time I am travelling in and of signal on the underground. Very annoying and has been there since 12 beta.

Comment

bcollis26

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Needed this. On my XS, it was the worst beta so far. Wouldn’t detect my swiping input on the home screen for the first 2-3 swipes and would lose all data (3G/LTE) at least once a day.

Yes! I thought the swiping bug was just happening to me. Glad I’m not alone. Definitely worst beta for me so far due to that alone. Also experiencing the no internet even though I’m on WiFi and LTE. (iPhone XS Max w/ Verizon)

Reactions: hsotnicam8002
Comment

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Seems a whole lot smoother than before. Haven’t been able to test the cellular data dropout issue yet, but I know they got a lot of reports on that, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s fixed here too.

Comment

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
I don’t see mention of any bugs, of which there are plenty. Including an account access bypass when restricted in screen time. And no force touch on the iPhone X, just the new long press.

Comment

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I doubt there's many fixes in this given that the build number only changed by the letter suffix at the end (from f to g). I would wait until the next 'proper' release (next week maybe?).
Yeah, I don’t expect anything huge but hopefully since those are two larger bugs that just pumped up, they kill them quick.

Comment

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Last one took out my iPad. Unfortunately the backup didn't work either so I lost my data. Beta, yes, a backup not working as well...... works on all of the other devices. The iPad OS update this last time was trash.

I should be clear, it was Developer Beta 3 Version 1. Up until then Beta 1 and Beta 2 were fairly trouble free. Just typical Apple crap releasing stuff that isn't even Beta worthy and then coming up with a "fix." They knew there were issues when released, they just want to placate people at the risk of hiding behind it being a "Beta."

Comment

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA

I've had constant radio resets and failed calls. This last beta has been a nightmare, hopefully the revised beta 3 will fix it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.