Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a revised version of iTunes 12.6, which appears to eliminate a hidden option that may have accidentally been built into the software release.

Shortly after the original release of iTunes 12.6 on Tuesday, a reddit user discovered a "Show on Profile Page" toggle on a Playlist edit page.

showonprofilepage.jpg

The toggle didn't appear to do anything because there's currently no individual profile page feature in iTunes, and now the non-functional feature has been eliminated from the 12.6 iTunes release, suggesting it was added by mistake and could be destined for some kind of future iTunes profile addition.

It is entirely unclear what a Profile Page might entail, but reddit users speculated that it could be for a future social network or a Spotify-style searchable playlist database.

The new iTunes 12.6 update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. It includes a "Rent once, watch anywhere" feature that lets iTunes users watch iTunes movie rentals across all devices with the as-of-yet unreleased iOS 10.3 and tvOS 10.2 updates.

Prior to the iTunes 12.6 update, iTunes movies could only be watched on a single device at a time. A movie rented on a Mac transferred to an iPhone would remove the movie from the Mac's iTunes Library, while a movie rented on an iOS device or Apple TV could not previously be transferred to other devices.

We don't yet know when the iTunes 12.6 update will become functional, as it is reliant on iOS 10.3 and tvOS 10.2, but those who are running the betas can use the cross-rental feature. The iOS 10.3 and tvOS 10.2 software updates could come at any time.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Version of iTunes 12.6, Eliminates Strange 'Profile Page' Toggle

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I believe this was released yesterday, not today. But no matter :)

Yes, I received the update yesterday, and checked the build numbers to figure out if it was the App Store being confused or an actual update from what I had installed.

I wish Apple was more transparent with their changelog notes.

• "Removed non-functional toggle switch that was intended for a future release"

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Yes, I received the update yesterday, and checked the build numbers to figure out if it was the App Store being confused or an actual update from what I had installed.

Agreed, but you know how secretive Apple is about future releases or coming features.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Who else has noted that when right-clicking on an iTMS music title, the first entry in the context menu is not "Play next" anymore but "Remove download"? Accidentally removed a whole album and had to redownload it...

Fair, it didn't take long. But this is really bad UI design. Why do they think what most people want when right-clicking a title is removing the download?

Switched2aMac

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
Somewhere in Wisconsin
So will my Mac download the new 12.6 version? Reason I ask is I have been having issues updating through the App Store and yesterday I wiped my Mac and started over. Is it the same version 12.6.0.95, which is what iTunes is showing me.

It may be a possibility that when I started over I downloaded the revised version. Is there any way to find out?

Thanks

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Why is the Apple media universe still called iTunes? Are movies "tunes"? This is like building an outhouse, then later adding a mansion around it and still calling the whole thing an outhouse. It stinks. And it is very awkward since expansion has been piecemeal and they refuse to dynamite it and start over. The attitude seems to be "if it ain't broke" with iTunes. And yet with everything else they have no problem "breaking" things (e.g. remove headphone jack, only USB C on MBP, etc.).

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Still getting this error message after being a former Apple Music Subscriber before...

Genius results can't be updated right now. an unknown error occurred (5002)
Have you tried rebuilding your library? Are you an iTunes Match subscriber still? I was a former Apple Music subscriber for 2 months, still an iTunes Match subscriber and Genius works fine for me.
Fyi, Genius still isn't working with new music. Apple claimed a few months ago they are aware of this issue when I brought this up to a senior advisor, so far it has not been fixed.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

Could be worse, it could just say:

Thanks for using <APP NAME>! To make our app better for you, we bring updates to the App Store regularly.

Every update of our <APP NAME> app includes improvements for speed and reliability. As new features become available, we’ll highlight those for you in the app.​

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
There are lots of recently introduced bugs I encounter every day that they need to fix. One of them is I get spammed with "unknown error" messages if I let my computer sleep at some point while iTunes Radio was paused then wake it up again. Another is that some of my stations refuse to play 90% of the time.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Why is the Apple media universe still called iTunes? Are movies "tunes"? This is like building an outhouse, then later adding a mansion around it and still calling the whole thing an outhouse. It stinks. And it is very awkward since expansion has been piecemeal and they refuse to dynamite it and start over. The attitude seems to be "if it ain't broke" with iTunes. And yet with everything else they have no problem "breaking" things (e.g. remove headphone jack, only USB C on MBP, etc.).

Well... they could call it the "iTunes/iVideo/iBlog/iMedia Thingy with iPhone/iPod/iPad backup and syncing features".

Or, the could simply keep calling it by its original name.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
So will my Mac download the new 12.6 version? Reason I ask is I have been having issues updating through the App Store and yesterday I wiped my Mac and started over. Is it the same version 12.6.0.95, which is what iTunes is showing me.

It may be a possibility that when I started over I downloaded the revised version. Is there any way to find out?

Thanks
12.6.0.100 is the revised version. You can check by opening the "About iTunes" panel in iTunes and check the version no. against 12.6.0.95 and 12.6.0.100.

jburton88

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Bah, they didn't fix the annoying UI bug that makes the "X" disappear on the miniplayer so you can't restore it to the normal player without resizing it. :p

That has been annoying me too. I've found that double clicking where the "X" should be, brings it up. It's not perfect, but its easier than resizing.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
[doublepost=1490446685][/doublepost]It's called iTunes because that's what it's called. If we had to change a product's name every time it's function changed, everything would need to receive a new name with every update. Initial names are used in order to retain product identity.

Reactions: LinusR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.