Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a revised version of the AirTags firmware that was first provided to AirTags owners last week. The new internal build number is 1A291c, up from 1A291a.

AitTag-New-Firmware.jpg

We don't know what's included in the new firmware and no new features were found following the first release, so it likely focuses on bug fixes and other under-the-hood improvements.

There is no way to force an AirTag update, as it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your AirTag in range of your ‌‌iPhone‌‌, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device.

You can check your current AirTag firmware version using the Find My app, with instructions available in our how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Version of Latest AirTags Firmware Update

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Reminds me of Washington; “we won’t know what’s in the bill until we vote on it“
AnyWho, I’ve been on the fence as to whether to order a set of these. Apple is fantastic when it comes to marketing, but when it comes to products to work as intended —HomePods anyone? ?
I ordered eight and used three of them. They work well for keys, but some use cases didn't play out as I had hoped. We share a car and I put one in my car to help with finding it when she parks someplace weird, but the lack of sharing support and the limited distance when inside a car makes it less useful. I have spares for luggage and bags, but I wouldn't recommend people buy more than need thinking they will find a use for them.

nicolas17

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
The only difference in 1A291c is "install the update on more devices". deploymentLimit was raised from 1 to 10 (I think that's %).

A week from now they'll remove the limit and MacRumors will post a whole article about "there is an update, we don't know what's in it" :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: SpringKid and iGMX

kesenwangs

macrumors regular
May 16, 2021
Vancouver
I’ve had all my AirTags as well as families purposely close to their devices for a week now and they’re still on Firmware versions from months back.

MauiPa

macrumors 68030
Apr 18, 2018
Reminds me of Washington; “we won’t know what’s in the bill until we vote on it“
AnyWho, I’ve been on the fence as to whether to order a set of these. Apple is fantastic when it comes to marketing, but when it comes to products to work as intended —HomePods anyone? ?
I'm not understanding. HomePods work great. Of course, they are wifi, so your wifi has to work. Most complaints I've heard boiled down to old, clunky wifi, or radio interference

oh, and the airtags work as intended as well

BLyons

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Silver Spring, MD
You can sometimes force an update by leaving your keys/air tag next to it while it charges overnight. Worked for me for the last update. I'll try it tonight for this one.

Reactions: LiveM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.