Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Yosemite looks like crap to me. The flat design can go Foxtrot-Off for me. If I want my computer to look like a crappy Windows, I wouldn't have drop over 2 grand for it.

funny that people keep saying this - yosemite isn't flat design. it's flatter, but almost everything still has skeoumorphic design. it's just subtler. only real flat elements are in the sidebar icons. and comparing the transparency to windows? that's all apple - harkens back to cheetah which was years before vista (or whatever win version had so much transparency). and i think it's visually classier.

having said all that, i'm not implying everyone has to like it. to me, the look of yosemite is light years ahead of the past few OS X releases. so all in all: SnowLeopard > Yosemite > Mavericks > Lion. and Yosemite would be my number 1 if the tagging system could be changed back to the snow-leopard setup.

protip: holding the option key above most toolbars or menu items before clicking leaves TONS of the snow-leopard UI intact (save-as, expand window, etc) - it's just hidden a little in favor of yosemite's default-view 'simplification.'

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
OK thanks for sending a browser update before an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues. :rolleyes:

Different teams work on different issues at the same time. One patch coming out before another has nothing to do with Apple deciding some sort of "order of importance".

RooooG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
And yet again, it does not fix the two problems that I've reported to Apple since Yosemite came out. This is a replay of the type of problems that affected iWork applications, namely Pages.... Apple just ignores customer feedback! (Pages lost support for linked text boxes, and it's been more than a year without any response from Apple). So frustrating!

Regarding Safari...

As a web developer, I have local copies of sites on .dev top-level domains (eg. http://www.site.dev would correspond to http://www.salesforce.com/platform/overview/?d=70130000000liBh). Since Yosemite, Safari has stopped resolving the domain if it didn't begin with http://, so I need to manually type that full address each time (or store bookmarks for each site, which is annoying). Without the protocol on the front, it just performs a web search.

Secondly, Safari no longer offers password auto-fill for these .dev sites, even though the password info is stored in Keychain correctly.

If anybody has any suggestions for these, I'm all ears.

Another user suggested looking at your search settings...curious which search page this redirects you to - Google's or your ISP's? You might try using a DNS server that can parse the non-protocol address and redirect to it. I use google's - 8.8.8.8.

azz0r

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
OK thanks for sending a browser update before an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues. :rolleyes:

Obviously you don't grasp how concurrent development across a huge organisation works.

You think Apple would tell all its developers to drop everything they're doing to fix a wifi issue.

Massive LOL.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I for one have gone back to mavericks and the older versions of Itunes and ditched safari for chrome.

I too have gone back to Mavericks. What's sad is that in another year or two Apple will cease support for Safari on older systems for no reason other than to push you to upgrade.

You'll have to move to Chrome or Firefox if you want an up to date browser. :(

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
Snow Leopard OSX 10.6

There are still a lot Snow Leopards out there. I wish Apple would grants us one more update Safari (PLEASE!). #

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
Obviously you don't grasp how concurrent development across a huge organisation works.

You think Apple would tell all its developers to drop everything they're doing to fix a wifi issue.

Massive LOL.

Nonetheless, it seems it was released prematurely ...

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!

Massive LOL.

I was trying to be facetious about how they are fixing what shows the internet while the OS still has issues connecting to the internet.

Yes I understand different departments are working on different projects at different paces and won't hold up upgrading certain aspects of a program or an OS.

It's called a joke and partially a poke on why it's taking so long to fix the intermittent internet connectivity issue.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I too have gone back to Mavericks. What's sad is that in another year or two Apple will cease support for Safari on older systems for no reason other than to push you to upgrade.

You'll have to move to Chrome or Firefox if you want an up to date browser. :(

I don't use Safari and never have so they can "push" all they want. It's the same reason I stopped using their email system along with too many damn bugs (it should actually check your mail now when you click check mail, not just sit there doing nothing until you quit and restart). Updates to key software should not be dependent on constant OS upgrades. Why is Mavericks incapable of running Safari 8? It's not clear at all. Oh wait. It's because they want to force you to upgrade like you said. Every time I go into Software Update now they point out a "free Yosemite" is waiting for me. I don't ever recall quite this level of PUSH to get people to upgrade that don't WANT to. Given the depositions on the lawsuit against Apple about them deleting songs off people's iPods that didn't come from iTunes, I'm surprised Apple just doesn't FORCE Yosemite onto every single Mac that can run it. That would solve their problem (and ensure I never buy a Mac ever again).

Reactions: maverick28

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
No, not at all.

I do...incurable...

----------

funny that people keep saying this - yosemite isn't flat design. it's flatter, but almost everything still has skeoumorphic design. it's just subtler. only real flat elements are in the sidebar icons. and comparing the transparency to windows? that's all apple - harkens back to cheetah which was years before vista (or whatever win version had so much transparency). and i think it's visually classier.

having said all that, i'm not implying everyone has to like it. to me, the look of yosemite is light years ahead of the past few OS X releases. so all in all: SnowLeopard > Yosemite > Mavericks > Lion. and Yosemite would be my number 1 if the tagging system could be changed back to the snow-leopard setup.

protip: holding the option key above most toolbars or menu items before clicking leaves TONS of the snow-leopard UI intact (save-as, expand window, etc) - it's just hidden a little in favor of yosemite's default-view 'simplification.'

Even you agreed to SL being better looking than Yosemite...
My machine is fully capable of running Yosemite, but it is my personal choice not to make it look like turd.
On the other hand, this machine is my property and I don't think anyone has the right to criticize on how I like my stuffs, right?

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Be careful with this update, I updated and now Safari is no longer on my system at all. Replaced by a question mark and not visible in a spotlight or a manual search! Completely vanished! I'm having to use Chrome to post this!!

Can someone please sack the updates team!!

Things have been atrocious lately on both iOS and OS X teams. I don't have that issue on my hackintosh (only one that installed the Safari automatically) but will keep an eye out for it. I don't even think my hackintosh has any other browsers since I just had to upgrade it for gtx 970 support.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Installed the update before they pulled it. Safari seems to hang more on almost all websites now.
I'm seriously considering switching to Chrome.
Safari's new design under Yosemite stinks (the previous design is one reason i stuck with safari) and all the hanging and sometimes crashing (for the first time ever) is getting on my nerves

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I've held off from updating my late 2013 MBP to Yosemite because of all of the bugs and now I'm afraid to update safari after reading this thread.

This my first Apple computer and it works beautifully with Mavericks so I'm stay put with what I'm using.

It's starting to look embarrassing when they can't even do a simple upgrade to their Web browser.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
I don't use Safari and never have so they can "push" all they want. It's the same reason I stopped using their email system along with too many damn bugs (it should actually check your mail now when you click check mail, not just sit there doing nothing until you quit and restart). Updates to key software should not be dependent on constant OS upgrades. Why is Mavericks incapable of running Safari 8? It's not clear at all. Oh wait. It's because they want to force you to upgrade like you said. Every time I go into Software Update now they point out a "free Yosemite" is waiting for me. I don't ever recall quite this level of PUSH to get people to upgrade that don't WANT to. Given the depositions on the lawsuit against Apple about them deleting songs off people's iPods that didn't come from iTunes, I'm surprised Apple just doesn't FORCE Yosemite onto every single Mac that can run it. That would solve their problem (and ensure I never buy a Mac ever again).

Right click then "Hide Update".

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I've held off from updating my late 2013 MBP to Yosemite because of all of the bugs and now I'm afraid to update safari after reading this thread.

This my first Apple computer and it works beautifully with Mavericks so I'm stay put with what I'm using.

It's starting to look embarrassing when they can't even do a simple upgrade to their Web browser.

I can assure you that your 2013 MBP will work even better with Yosemite. I have a late 2013 MBP too.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
8.0.2 was installed on my computer...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 4.58.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 4.58.28 AM.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 66

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Pulled since it was deleting Safari itself.

Probably the most useful bug ever :D

On a side note, in 2008 i left Windows for Apple because the OS was far superior from a productivity standpoint, the apps were nicer , better laid out and easier on the eye. (not to mention OSX was back then 100% more stable than Windows)

Now OSX is a mess, the new UI direction they are going in is a pain in the ass, and they seem content letting bug ridden untested messes out as final products where before they used to release polished software.

On the flip side, Windows has gotten a LOT better (once i installed Start8 so i don't have to deal with "metro" or whatever its called)... so much so , that the combined mess that OSX has become since lion on-wards and the improvements made to windows has now seen me leave apple and go back to a PC, which, thanks to the Windows 8.1 Tablet i have gives me an iPad size tablet, that runs a full OS (not windows RT), has the same battery life as an iPad and it only cost me 1/3rd the price of an iPad that wouldn't do half the things i need a portable computer to do)

To me apple has lost its way, its producing shiny baubles that no longer contain decent , polished products, it seems more concerned about making its products non-upgradable and only last 2 years to force an upgrade cycle, and its software having arbitrary changes "just to look fresh" rather than improve or innovate..

Apple, now officially more fashion statement than productivity tool

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.