Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced four years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 110 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for WebRTC, Web Authentication, Web Animations, Web API, Media, CSS, Layout, Rendering, Accessibility, JavaScript, Storage Access API, Text Manipulation, Security, and Web Inspector.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is the built on the new Safari 14 update included in macOS Big Sur with support for Safari Web Extensions imported from other browsers, tab previews, password breach notifications, web authentication with Touch ID, and more.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's set to be released this fall.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 110 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
  • Added a functional WebRTC VP9 codec
  • Allowed registering VP9 as a VT decoder
Does this mean Youtube 4k support?

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
They have fixed that annoying bug that caused it to crash whenever you opened a new window. Even though I knew about it I still did it 10 times a day out of habit.

Habits are hard to break
[automerge]1594921732[/automerge]
  • Added a functional WebRTC VP9 codec
  • Allowed registering VP9 as a VT decoder
Does this mean Youtube 4k support?

Safari 14 has support for watching 4K on YouTube on iOS & tvOS - maybe they'll add support for it on macOS too

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
To any of you who download the Preview and play with it... Is it more of a curiosity? Or does the Safari Preview sometimes render webpages correctly when the official iOS Safari will not?

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Just tested with both 'VP9 decoder' and 'WebRTC VP9 codec' in Experimental Features enabled and YouTube still won't show anything about 1080p.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
To any of you who download the Preview and play with it... Is it more of a curiosity? Or does the Safari Preview sometimes render webpages correctly when the official iOS Safari will not?

Its a fully functioning and generally very stable preview of the features you will get in Safari a few months ahead of time. The STP has nothing to do with iOS other than sharing a codebase at a later date when it moves to production

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
only thing is that some extensions will not work if you set preview as default. kind of thinking about going beta, but there is no way back then

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I use the regular Safari and the Tech Preview side-by-side for different sites and barely notice a difference. Overall, Safari remains my favourite browser.
[automerge]1594923870[/automerge]
They have fixed that annoying bug that caused it to crash whenever you opened a new window. Even though I knew about it I still did it 10 times a day out of habit.

Zero crashes here. Maybe something related to your settings? Do you have it open a particular page? Do you have it remember opened tabs? I don't have any of that... just opens to a blank page, not a site.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Just tested with both 'VP9 decoder' and 'WebRTC VP9 codec' in Experimental Features enabled and YouTube still won't show anything about 1080p.
It’s possible that YouTube is doing some (now outdated, for STP) browser sniffing on their end, and not sending/offering the 4K VP9 version to STP.

Reactions: KeithBN

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
It’s possible that YouTube is doing some (now outdated, for STP) browser sniffing on their end, and not sending/offering the 4K VP9 version to STP.

I was my thought, however, if after I changed browser agent, it still the same, unless they are doing something more clever than just browser agent.

Reactions: CarlJ

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I upgraded to Mojave finally with so far no issues except no more Safari Technology Preview available. :(

Is there anywhere to get Safari Technology Preview at all anymore for Mohave? I had a lot of tabs saved there and have no way to retrieve them without switching back to High Sierra. :(

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
literally, that never happened to me. I am always updated to latest (actually on Big Sur t the moment)
[automerge]1594926135[/automerge]
Only Apple would sell 5k iMacs that only support 1080p on YouTube on their native browser. Come on, Apple, it’s 2020!
hmm, YouTube is google, they couldn't possibly be doing anything nefarious, now could they? Don't know technically why this is the case, but chances are google is using proprietary tech

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Safari Technology Preview is a newer build than Developer Beta released yesterday:
  • Safari AppleSeed Developer Beta: 15610.1.20.4
  • Safari Technology Preview: 15610.1.21.0.2
VP9 is only on the Technology Preview.

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
So I tested VP9 support using a website that checks media mime support and STP release 110 indeed supports VP9 on the browser side. However, YouTube did not load any VP9 video in my limited testing so far. The nice thing is VP9 decoding is provided by VideoToolbox (VT) which can be used by any macOS app (video player, transcoder etc) going forward which is great. Hopefully, they will also expose VP9 encoding functionality in VT as well.

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 22.09.43.png

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 22.07.19.png

PS: Upon further inspection, they only seem to support VP9 codec inside MP4 container for now, unless I missed something. Most if not all VP9 videos in YouTube seem to use Webm container instead of MP4. However, they seem to support Webm/VP9 on iOS so it might be coming to the macOS in the upcoming STP releases.

Last edited:

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
So I tested VP9 support using a website that checks media mime support and STP release 110 indeed supports VP9 on the browser side. However, YouTube did not load any VP9 video in my limited testing so far. The nice thing is VP9 decoding is provided by VideoToolbox (VT) which can be used by any macOS app (video player, transcoder etc) going forward which is great. Hopefully, they will also expose VP9 encoding functionality in VT as well.

View attachment 934491
View attachment 934492
This was something I was looking for.

Hopefully it will be hardware accelerated as well, as it's currently dreadful with Chrome, and my MBP 16 runs pretty hot.

This is one single feature that's on top of my wishlist of Mac OS and iOS.

Reactions: xxray

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've played around with STP, doesn't really make much of a difference with the normal installed version, have some fixes and some extras, but I can't really see what makes it better.

And there we go, another half baked release. Since previous version, it can't even open local .html files.

Many of you call this "stable".
Impressive.

View attachment 934472

You might be better off with a different OS, seems like you are always complaining, never one good word for macOS.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
You might be better off with a different OS, seems like you are always complaining, never one good word for macOS.

We use every single platform OS.

The bugs are there, it's not a subjective thing.

Have had good words on macOS & Apple several times when credit is due, many examples below.

Good words 1

We want Apple & Safari to succeed tremendously, otherwise we wouldn't waste our time reporting bugs.

Some others say it's "stable", and that's fine if it makes you happy, but we will disagree on its current state.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.