Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second Yosemite public beta for beta testers, following the release of the sixth Developer Preview earlier this week. Apple has also released a new version of iTunes 12 for Yosemite.

The software update, build 14A329r, can be downloaded through the software update function of the Mac App Store.

yosemitebeta.jpg
It's likely the new public beta bundles the content introduced in the last several developer updates, including multiple design changes added with DP 6. The last beta included new wallpapers, a new System Preferences design, a translucent dashboard, several icon updates, and more.

Apple is expected to release OS X Yosemite to the general public later this year, possibly following an October event that may also introduce both the iWatch and new iPads.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second OS X Yosemite Public Beta, iTunes 12 Update

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Am I the only one who absolutely hates this new iTunes 12 release? I mean seriously, where is the color? It's so hopelessly boring looking...

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Downloading, thanks Apple! I'm going to make some benchmark, Yosemite is already MUCH FASTER than Mavericks in 3D gaming and pro Apps! Great!

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
In the last few dozen iTunes updates I've noticed nothing that makes it work any better or more efficiently on my PC (not iMac). It's clunky, slow and in dire need of a modern update, I doubt this is it...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Odd, I signed up for the beta 1, installed but didn't get the last DP6 update, updated to DP6 and now I don't get this one either.

Betas and developer previews are separate tracks. If you're on the betas, you won't get developer previews. If you're on the developer previews, you won't get the beta.

Sounds like you should probably just stick to the betas.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Odd, I signed up for the beta 1, installed but didn't get the last DP6 update, updated to DP6 and now I don't get this one either.

Because DP6 wasn't for Public Beta members... It was for the Developer Preview, hence the 'DP.'

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Betas and developer previews are separate tracks. If you're on the betas, you won't get developer previews. If you're on the developer previews, you won't get the beta.

I had all the Developer Previews, just wanted to check out Beta 1.

----------

Because DP6 wasn't for Public Beta members... It was for the Developer Preview, hence the 'DP.'

I am aware what DP is.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Looks like they merged the titlebar in the new iTunes beta. I like it.

Also, does anyone know if PB2 build number == DP6 build number?

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Am I the only one who absolutely hates this new iTunes 12 release? I mean seriously, where is the color? It's so hopelessly boring looking...

I feel you, but that is also very true for all of Apple's software now. All of the fun details are gone, replaced with boring shades of white. I've also realized I can't stand grids of things (albums, books, photos, etc.) that don't have a drop shadow. It just looks so hopelessly flat and broken...smh.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Downloaded iTunes 12, finished downloading but it hangs upon installing.:confused:

Edit 1: Is there a manual download on Apple's site, not installing

Edit 2: Forget it, I took a look at my updates folder in the main library, installed all the .pkg from there.

Last edited:

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010

Actually thats not entirely correct... I had Beta one installed then went to Developer Preview 5 then 6 and Beta 2 shows up under Purchases and not Updates

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Downloaded iTunes 6, finished downloading but it hangs upon installing.:confused:

Edit: Is there a manual download on Apple's site, not installing

Assuming you mean iTunes 12... no. You could always try seeing if iTunes 11 will install over your current iTunes build and hope that Software Update wants to bring you back to 12. Other then that I have no idea.

Edit: Nevermind. Saw you updated to say you got it taken care of, so yay for that.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I don't care about color or lack of at this point. It's function that I'm concerned about. And there are some major function issues, especially with this search pop up. I really wish they would nix it and go back to the old way. it worked so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.