Apple Releases Security Updates for OS X El Capitan and OS X Yosemite [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2016.

1. /\/\ macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, but I got the message when I try to open normal Mac applications like Activity Window (or how it's called in English) or Terminal or Google Chrome.

2. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

You can try NVIDIA WebDriver Updater to patch your web driver. You can search for it at InsanelyMac site.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Strange... It went smooth and fast on my 2006 Mac Pro with El Capitan 10.11.6 (in my signature). No problems and running great. Naturally I did a backup first just to be safe.

Seems odd that many supported systems are having trouble.

Must be some weird issue. I'd have expected it to be smoother on supported hardware.

4. Nermal, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks; that looks promising. I'll give it a go soon :)

Edit: Success! Thank you so much! :D

For the benefit of others: You need to go to the NVDAStartupWeb.kext patch tab, enter 15G1004 into the box, then hit Patch immediately. You then need to go to Sys Prefs/NVidia Driver Manager and switch back to the NVidia driver (otherwise you'll still get the Apple one when you reboot).

In the long run it'll probably be better to install the official driver once it's released.

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

No problems here on my 2008 24" iMac. It just took a while after installing, maybe 10-15 minutes to come up.

6. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Looks like I've lost 20gb free SSD space since the security update. Anyone else?

7. skyblueluver23 macrumors newbie

I've just updated this today and I noticed that when my mac starts up its slow and the white line that appears with the icon with my name on it at start up starts off complete and then takes a couple of minutes to take away the white and then it loads again and then after I get a black screen for a couple of minutes (5 minutes) before it starts the air up. I have a macbook air 2015 13 inch. Does anyone know a fix for this cause I didn't back my mac up?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Have you tried a PRAM reset? I know it sounds silly to many "experts" here, but most startup issues should be troubleshot with this step first and foremost (and it works wonders many times).

9. skyblueluver23 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. It fixed it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Awesome!

I took care of two machines at work this morning doing it as well.

11. Wolfire, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Wolfire macrumors newbie

Pretty much the same thing happen to me on 2011 Macbook Pro.
    After update I have startup sound, the machine loads as usual, but after login it becomes extremely slow and almost none of the apps can start, including App Store, Preview, Mail and other Apple apps. It says "You can't open the app "" because it may be damaged or incomplete".
    Funny thing is that I still can open Preview by double-clicking the PDF file.
    Does anybody know what happens and how to fix it?
    UPDATE: I contacted Apple support, they advised to reinstall the system via Recovery partition. It helped, so everything is fine now.

12. rick6502 macrumors member

The update is failing on all of the Macs on our campus! After restart, a message comes up saying it can't be verified. The only option is restart. We are looking into the causes.

13. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

And someday nVidia will stop tying their driver to specific build numbers.

14. Steve01234 macrumors newbie

lack of hardware chime is pre-OS load. it indicates hardware problem which is probably a dead mobo battery. if you have never replaced it, its well past its 5 year life expectancy.

S

--- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    That will happen if you have a local OS X server doing apple update caching. turn off caching and update services in OS X server so that each machine pulls the update down directly from apple. then it will work. you can enable caching after updates are all done.... though if you have nV web drivers you will not want to install right now

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nothing you said has anything to do with the original question. There is no need or reason to download and install these separately.

OP has not said he had any problem or needs to do multiple installs. For a normal user wanting to update their Mac with this download, there is no reason to download and install separately.

16. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

does anyone have direct links to the pkg's yet? The responses so far have been a little discomforting, but if I have to distribute it on our MDM, it's gotta get done

17. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

They are already in post 7 in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-os-x-yosemite-updated.1991109/#post-23310405
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    I was replying to your post, not photoj2754's.

And in post 7 I never said you had to use the standalone installers. I just said if you want to use them then I gave the links.

And to say there is no need is not true for everyone. As I said before you can do it through the mac app store if you want and that may suffice for some people. But some people DO need the standalone installers for reasons I said before.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My post was a reply to his. You just want to change the context to argue.

19. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Is there a way to downgrade Mac OS X to a prvious version if something goes wrong with a particular update, without losing personal data and in the ABSENCE of recent Time Machine or other backup?

20. Wolfire macrumors newbie

As I said, you can reinstall the system using Recovery partition - in this case you won't lose any personal data (at least I didn't). After reinstalling you will get the same system version you had before the update.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I've been testing the new build and it seems fixed, but higher res make it lag still.

22. jiv69, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

jiv69 macrumors newbie

jiv69

Hi, My question is. Is it SAFE to apply this update on my Unsupported Mac Pro firmware updated to 2.1 and upgraded ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card. Im running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I did the OS upgrade using Pikes Boot Loader Method. Will it be ok to do this update or will I Kill My Mac???? Please Help!!!!

23. jiv69 macrumors newbie

jiv69

Ok People. I cloned my hard drive and I applied the 2016-001 update to it. I CAN CONFIRM WHAT POST 53 SAID.
    IT IS SAFE TO DO UPDATE 2016-001 ON AN UNSUPPORTED MAC 2006 2.1 WITH NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER!!!
    ALL IS WORKING FINE!!!! THE PIKES BOOT LOADER HELD UP... THANK YOU PIKE AND MAC RUMORS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK... MY MAC CAN LIVE ANOTHER DAY :)

24. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ever since I put this update through the system has seemed slower on my Late 2015. Weird blinking and fade-outs on startup. A slight pause entering the lock screen when the screen goes black. command + tab does not work sometimes. I feel like I am running Linux on this thing. OSx is not ready for prime-time. Five thumbs down.

25. jiv69 macrumors newbie

jiv69

Bent, Do a PRAM Restart. That should fix the problem