Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of an upcoming visionOS 1.1 update for developers, allowing them to test new features ahead of the software seeing a public launch. The third beta comes a week after the release of the second beta.

visionOS-Home-Screen.jpg

The visionOS beta can be downloaded by going to the Settings app on the device and toggling on developer betas. A registered developer account is required, and Apple recommends making a backup before installing new software.

visionOS 1.1 brings support for iMessage Contact Key Verification and it adds Apple device management to the Vision Pro. With this functionality, IT departments at companies and educational institutions can manage Vision Pro headsets in the same way they manage iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

According to Apple's beta notes, users can now reposition volumetric scenes closer than before, enabling easier direct interaction with the volumetric scene content. That means objects can be placed closer to you.

Apple has also improved Personas in visionOS 1.1, making them look more natural and lifelike than before.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Beta of visionOS 1.1

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
With objects placed closer, the problem was that the control point ended up being in your belly. :) Wonder how they handled that?

And, while the second gen persona LOOKS better, it was far worse at actually displaying the movements of my face where the first one was uncannily good. We’ll see how this version does.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
visionOS 1.1 beta 3 (21O5197a) - February 20, 2024

General

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Apps built for visionOS changing scene types or upgrading from a compatible app will crash on launch if previously launched on a device. (121478050)

3rd Party Apps

Known Issues

• Some third-party apps, including Microsoft Teams, might crash on launch or during use when Accessibility options are enabled. (122506670) (FB13595783)
    Workaround: Disable any Accessibility options before launching impacted apps.

Accessibility

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: The AccessibilityShortcut preference is reset if VoiceOver is toggled via triple-click of the crown immediately after completing setup. (121466353)

App Placement

New Features

• Near-user boundary for volumetric scenes have been modified. Users will now be able to reposition volumetric scenes much closer than before, which will enable easier direct interaction with the volumetric scene content. (120926205)

App Store Submission

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Apps built for visionOS are unable to use the front-facing-camera UI Required Device Capability. (121465787)

Control Center

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Opening Control Center during tracking fail or while transitioning into Travel Mode will lead to the Control Center indicator disappearing. (119676121)

Known Issues

• The Control Center indicator might be missing. (121071017)
    Workaround: Reboot your Apple Vision Pro.

Immersive Space

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Immersive apps might not resume automatically if Apple Vision Pro is taken off and put back in a different location. (122561314)

Lock Screen

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Passcodes containing a character which uses a diacritic can’t be used to unlock Apple Vision Pro. (122551154)

Mac Virtual Display / AirPlay Wireless

Known Issues

• Mac Virtual Display and AirPlay are known to conflict when used concurrently. Concurrent usage might result in performance degradation including connection failure. (110475215)

Markup

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Markup is not available for use in the visionOS Simulator. (122125666)

Passcode

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Passcode UI not obscured in screen recording and sharing. (121482327)

Passkeys

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Registering passkeys might not work on certain websites. (122217903)

Persona Enrollment

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Eye tracking may not be accurate after Persona capture until the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro. (121630768)

RealityKit

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: In multi-scene apps, custom Systems created for each scene are now released when the scene is dismissed. (116190653)
  • Fixed: RealityKit reports incorrect visualBounds for Attachments, which may impact entity placement. Larger attachments may be clipped due to the incorrect visualBounds values. (121887607)

Known Issues

• Assigning a new VideoPlayerComponent to an Entity that already has one will result in a black video screen. (117087641)
    Workaround: Reuse the existing VideoPlayerComponent or remove the existing one first before assigning the new one.
  • A scene associated with the RealityRenderer might be incorrectly registered to a non-RealityRenderer system resulting in a crash. (122392672)

Settings

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Users might not be able to shut down Apple Vision Pro from Settings. (120555236)

ShaderGraph Materials

Known Issues

• ShaderGraph material node compositions might result in invalid visual output. (122723231)
    Workaround: Avoid using a common asset node for both a surface shader and a geometry modifier within a single material or duplicate the asset node if needed.

Simulator

Known Issues

• Simulator might quit unexpectedly when using Apple Studio Display or other 4-channel systems for audio output. (122506938)
    Workaround: Before launching Simulator, switch the audio output of your Mac to a different device such as headphones.

Siri

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Siri may be unusable. (122361345)
  • Fixed: Unable to invoke Siri in simulator. (122514562)

StoreKit

New Features

• New pricing properties price, currency, and currencyCode are now available on Transaction. If an offer was applied to the transaction, a new property offer is available to see information about it (id, type, payment mode), as well as convenience properties offerID, offerType, and offerPaymentMode. (106650768)
  • productDescriptionHidden(_ API can be used to configure the visibility of product descriptions in ProductView, StoreView and SubscriptionStoreView instances within a view hierarchy. When building with Xcode 15.3, the view modifier can be used even if your app is running on iOS 17.0, iPadOS 17.0, macOS 14.0, tvOS 17.0, watchOS 10.0, visionOS 1.0, or later.
    When implementing a product view style, it can support this new view modifier by checking the descriptionVisibility property on the configuration value. (110414819) (FB12261973)
  • You can use SubscriptionStoreView to present promotional offers by adding the subscriptionPromotionalOffer(offer:signature modifier.
    If you’re already using inAppPurchaseOptions(_ modifier to support promotional offers for StoreKit views, you should adopt the new API instead when your app is running on iOS 17.4, iPadOS 17.4, macOS 14.4, tvOS 17.4, watchOS 10.4, visionOS 1.1 or later. Do not use both APIs to apply a promotional offer for the same view. (115358806)

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: The isEligibleForIntroOffer property and isEligibleForIntroOffer(for method now reflect ineligibility in cases where a customer would otherwise be eligible for the offer if they weren’t actively subscribed. This means a customer which is not currently eligible for an introductory offer may become eligible in the future.
    Customers who redeem an introductory offer for a given subscription group will continue to never be eligible for another introductory offer in that subscription group. You can detect this case this by checking if any one transaction with a matching subscriptionGroupID has the type property on offer set to introductory. (103604770) (FB11889732)
  • Fixed an issue causing the refund request “Done” button to not dismiss the sheet when using StoreKit Testing in Xcode. (117482750)
  • Fixed: Apps which configure a SubscriptionStoreView to show terms of service & privacy policy links with automatic or URL destinations will now open the URLs in the default browser. (120985657) (FB13540404)

SwiftUI

New Features

• Immersive Space displacement value added to the Environment, indicating when the system has moved an Immersive Space from its default position for an active SharePlay session. (117694400)
  • Introduced named SwiftUI coordinate space for Immersive Space. Allows cross-window coordinate conversions to an open immersive space. (118422388)

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Volumes using the defaultSize(_: Rect3D, in: UnitLength) modifier to specify size, will now be the specified physical size at all display zooms. (116579319) (FB13240946)
  • Fixed: If the display zoom is changed in settings while a volume with a physical size is open, the content might be clipped. (120554484)

UI Frameworks

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Navigation bar display title modes are now respected and result in a smaller or larger navigation bar title. (114283700)

UIKit

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: UIApplication. setAlternateIconName(_:completionHandler is not supported in native visionOS apps. This does not affect compatible apps running on visionOS. (120929653) (FB13535833)

Vibrancy

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: UILabel.preferredVibrancy only supported semantic label colors, but now it supports all colors.
    let label = UILabel()
    label.preferredVibrancy = .automatic // default value
    label.textColor = .red // label will be rendered as vibrant red.

(115106359)

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
the pass-through , eyesight and personas are improved
I'm curious about the passthrough improvements, which I've heard mentioned before. Can you elaborate, is it clearer? Less noisy? Is motion blur reduced when turning your head?

Reactions: Surfer13134

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
No, not yet on the Vision Pro. Beta 2 was better than Beta 1, but still far buggier than the released version. Yes, I know betas are buggy, and I accept that to try on devices not critical for work. But Beta 1 was borderline unusable for me. Will try Beta 3 when I get home, hopefully they are making good progress.

Reactions: midkay

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Hopefully, this fixes the problem of breaking the Disney+ application. I discovered beta 2 broke the app. Launching it shows only a large black screen that is big enough to partially hide the close box/move bar and the speed icon in the top right. You can still see them, but they’re partially obscured. The app doesn’t do anything though, so it’s completely broken.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Hopefully, this fixes the problem of breaking the Disney+ application. I discovered beta 2 broke the app. Launching it shows only a large black screen that is big enough to partially hide the close box/move bar and the speed icon in the top right. You can still see them, but they’re partially obscured. The app doesn’t do anything though, so it’s completely broken.
I haven't installed the beta yet. Was thinking about doing so until your post. I'd definitely like to know if beta 3 fixed the Disney+ issue.

Reactions: Macaholic868

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Was working fine for me beta 2

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
when will the 3rd party video player be supported ? such as VLC player? the builtin player doesnt work well with some MP4 movies and they look so chopped. probably the encoding issue.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020

Apple today released the third beta of an upcoming visionOS 1.1 update for developers, allowing them to test new features ahead of the software seeing a public launch. The third beta comes a week after the release of the second beta
“… With this functionality, IT departments at companies and educational institutions can manage Vision Pro headsets in the same way they manage iPhones, iPads, and Macs …”

At an educational institution? An AVP lab? Aside from the $$$ hurdle, how would the IT departments “manage” individual (time-consuming) user setup which is necessary each a different user puts on an AVP.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
is it time to switch on 'install beta releases’?

It might be. I’m going to check the Apple Vision Pro forums to see if there are any other threads where they discuss this release. They are three betas in at this point so you’d think any show stoppers would’ve been found and fixed by now. What scares me about this device is that if a beta goes wrong you either need the $300 developer strap with the USB-C port or to make a trip to the Apple Store to roll it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It might be. I’m going to check the Apple Vision Pro forums to see if there are any other threads where they discuss this release. They are three betas in at this point so you’d think any show stoppers would’ve been found and fixed by now. What scares me about this device is that if a beta goes wrong you either need the $300 developer strap with the USB-C port or to make a trip to the Apple Store to roll it back.
I am already on Beta 2, just got home, after preparing a presentation for tomorrow I will install Beta 3.
So... any significant changes or improvements? "Significant".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.