Apple Releases Third OS X Yosemite Public Beta, Developer Preview 8

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third Yosemite public beta for beta testers, following the release of the second Yosemite public beta on August 21. Developer Preview 8 has also been released for developers, two weeks after the seventh Developer Preview was released.

The software update can be downloaded through the software update function of the Mac App Store, and developers can also download DP 8 from the Mac Developer Center.

It is possible given the release timing that both versions of Yosemite, DP 8 and the new public beta, are the same. The public beta will also include updates from Developer Preview 7, which included a new look for Dark Mode, several tweaked icons, and the removal of the "Software Update" option from the main Apple menu.

Apple is expected to release OS X Yosemite to the general public later this year, possibly following an October event that may introduce new iPads.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third OS X Yosemite Public Beta, Developer Preview 8

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Planning to stay on Mavericks for a long time even when Yosemite is released.
I don't like the 2D dock on Yosemite or the other UI changes (which you can't change AFAIK).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope that iOS 8.1 releases in tandem with the official release of Yosimite. All the continuity stuff is what I am looking forward to and that is not 100% available in the iOS 8. It makes sense since there is no official Yosimite, but one there is an official release, they need to upgrade iOS quick.

Other than that, excited to get home tonight and upgrade to the latest Beta.

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I don't like the 2D dock on Yosemite or the other UI changes (which you can't change AFAIK).
you’re right: nothing is customizable. I haven’t Yosemite in action yet, but if it’s as ugly as iOS 7, I will not be happy.

Just yesterday I was looking at iOS Notification Center and thinking it was the ugliest thing ever. White spaces, horizontal lines, lack of icons or weather or traffic, no indentation, ...

lcgarza10

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Houston
I hope that iOS 8.1 releases in tandem with the official release of Yosimite. All the continuity stuff is what I am looking forward to and that is not 100% available in the iOS 8. It makes sense since there is no official Yosimite, but one there is an official release, they need to upgrade iOS quick.

Other than that, excited to get home tonight and upgrade to the latest Beta.
Yes, I also expect 8.0.1 to be released on Wednesday instead of this 8 GM which is still so buggy and battery eater

diddl14

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
I wouldn't mind another Apple event in October with Yosemite and a bunch of new Mac hardware!

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
The 2D dock is one of my favorite things...I HATE the 3D dock and was upset when they removed the ability to enable "no glass" from the terminal to get a 2D dock (under Mavericks).

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
you’re right: nothing is customizable. I haven’t Yosemite in action yet, but if it’s as ugly as iOS 7, I will not be happy.

Just yesterday I was looking at iOS Notification Center and thinking it was the ugliest thing ever. White spaces, horizontal lines, lack of icons or weather or traffic, no indentation, ...
I got used to iOS 7 (jailbroken, of course) and you really can't delay updates on an iOS device for too long, because of app compatibility. Using Eclipse makes it bearable as I am no longer blinded by the intense white at night from many stock apps (Mail is a good example). NC can also be customized with Winterboard so that's not a huge issue for me.

On OS X, however, not really. The Mavericks NC looks great - no skeumorphic linen like in ML but also no blurs everywhere like in Yosemite. I don't need or want blurs anywhere on my computer OS. It's distracting when I want to get work done. Plus having the 2D dock with no option for 3D turns me off. I know you can hide it, but that's not really a solution.

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
I have a late 2013 rMBP, 15 inch pricier version.

DP3 - install it over my main partition for daily use? Is wifi consistent?

Appel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Are you sure Public beta 3 is the same as DP8? I am on the public beta and my update reads OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 7 1.0.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can change the transparency, which, IMO, is the worst thing. Looks a lot better with it off.

Love the 2D dock. Always had a 2D version when the option was there, pre-Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.