Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Thunderbolt Firmware Update, a small update offering "performance and stability fixes" for machines supporting the new high-speed data connectivity standard.
This update provides Thunderbolt performance and stability fixes.

When your computer restarts a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update.

Do not disturb or shut off the power on your computer during this update.
There is no indication of exactly what the update does beyond the general note regarding "fixes". It is also unclear from Apple's description exactly which machines the update applies to, as Apple does not specify on the download page whether it applies to the company's latest MacBook Pros or iMacs or both, although the update page displays an image of a MacBook Pro. Consequently, all users of Thunderbolt-enabled machines should check Software Update to see if the update is available for their machines.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update weighs in at 486 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8, which was released late last week.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update

Last edited by a moderator:

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Great! I've been having tons of performance issues with my Thunderbolt devices...

Oh, wait. That's right. I still can't buy any :rolleyes:

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

jayhawk11 said:
Great! I've been having tons of performance issues with my Thunderbolt devices...

Oh, wait. That's right. I still can't buy any :rolleyes:
Hahaha, that made my day...

tmiddleton

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
"Bugs"

hopefuly this fixes bugs when you conncect the 27inch cinema dispaly. i have so many problems with that thing when its connected to my MBP.

its a joke considering how much i paid for it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I really hope this fixes the external display flicker! Installing now on MacBook Pro 15inch.
Given the past Mini-DisplayPort updates and its continued usage under TunderBolt, it is probably a display compatibility update more than anything else.

Oh and just in case...

LOL NO DEVICES

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!!

The display flicker goes unvanquished....

Why!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the external displays have a problem in the first place? What part of the Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort signal is making the display flicker? For me it happens once every few minutes and seems to be a very quick flash of static. Anyway it worked perfectly fine with my 2006 MBP.

And as I was typing this, something really strange happened: the TV lost the signal for about 1.5 seconds. That's never happened before... did the firmware update make it worse??

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
This has to be one of the funniest software updates ever. :D

Apple should release 1 comedy software update a month... just for fun.

Here's some suggestions:

Tuesday Powerbook G5 Alert
Alerts the user whether Apple has released a G5 Powerbook or not every Tuesday.

Safari Snappiness Update
Addresses an issue in Safari, where the user may not feel the browser is as snappy as it might be.

Blu-ray Pain Bag Update
Displays a finely crafted on-screen icon in the shape of a bag full of 'hurt' when trying to resize an iTunes movie from 720p to 1080p

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The only Thunderbolt update I want to have is one that makes thunderbolt drive bootable, like firewire & USB. Then when the prices come down I can upgrade to a SSD without cracking open my iMac and risking damage.

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
This is going to be GREAT when those AJA and Blackmagic video I/O interfaces hit.

Wait, WHAT?! What do you mean, Final Cut Pro X doesn't in any way address professional video I/O hardware? You're freaking joking, right? RIGHT?! Oh please, God, tell me that you're joking...

:mad:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is this to address that flickering/blackout problems that occur when you connect any Thunderbolt Mac to the 24" ACD?

EDIT: Nope.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.