• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10.2.2 update comes two months after the release of tvOS 10.2.1, a minor update.

The tvOS 10.2.2 update can be downloaded on the fourth-generation Apple TV using the Settings app. Go to System --> Software Update to install. For those who have automatic software updates turned on, the Apple TV will be upgraded to tvOS 10.2.2 automatically.

tvOS-10.2.2-800x500.jpg

We didn't find any new features or design changes during the short tvOS 10.2.2 beta testing period, suggesting the update focuses on bug fixes, security enhancements, and other under-the-hood improvements.

tvOS 10 will be replaced with tvOS 11, the next-generation version of the tvOS operating system, this fall. For that reason, tvOS 10.2.2 may be one of the last updates to tvOS 10.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 10.2.2 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
10.2 was one of my least favorite updates to an Apple device ever. I hate being dumped into the TV App as the default. The App screen seems more like it should be the home to me, and it's curious that the image they use here is just that, but I might be in the minority here.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
10.2 was one of my least favorite updates to an Apple device ever. I hate being dumped into the TV App as the default. The App screen seems more like it should be the home to me, and it's curious that the image they use here is just that, but I might be in the minority here.

I hated that too, so that's why I immediately went into the settings and changed the behavior back to where pressing the Home button on the remote takes me back to the app/home screen instead of the TV app.

Comment

jrhop

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
I hated that too, so that's why I immediately went into the settings and changed the behavior back to where pressing the Home button on the remote takes me back to the app/home screen instead of the TV app.

Does it fix the Apple Music recently added not updating on Apple TV until after its rebooted?

Comment

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Still no TV App, when are they going to release it to other countries?

Never. They never came round with Siri outside of the English speaking countries either, despite Siri working fine on the iPhone in dozens of languages. Apple TV is a hobby with absolutely minimal ressources spent. It will never mature beyond that at the current rate.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

That was the opposite for me. The only reason I switched back was due to DTV Now not being a part of the TV App.
What tvOS really needs is:User Profiles.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Still no TV App, when are they going to release it to other countries?
You aren't missing much. I love the idea, but the implementation is meh. After about 5 minutes, I went into settings and switched the home button from "TV App" back to "Home Screen". As a partial solution to the problem of being alerted about new episodes of favorite shows, I use the Watch Aid app - it gets badged when there are new things I want to watch, and does a lovely job of showing, "there's 1 new episode of each of these 4 shows, and 3 new episodes of this other show".

There is huge potential for an Apple-supplied app to coordinate all the varied content on the Apple TV, becoming a smart-channel-changer/Tivo-replacement, that can keep track of where you are in every series (regardless of source) and move seamlessly through all of them, but the TV app isn't quite there yet.

I'm hoping the "we'll have more to talk about on Apple TV in the fall" statement from Tim Cook during the WWDC keynote, includes a major update to the TV app (as well as an Amazon Prime Video app and new Apple TV hardware - I happily use the ATV4 every day, I expect I'd like an ATV5 even more - and maybe some more networks opening themselves up to non-cable subscriptions in their ATV apps - I'd pay $5/mo each for access into a couple of news networks, which could then show up in an updated TV app, rather than poking digging around on YouTube every day).

Last edited:
Comment

ApostolisApo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
Never. They never came round with Siri outside of the English speaking countries either, despite Siri working fine on the iPhone in dozens of languages. Apple TV is a hobby with absolutely minimal ressources spent. It will never mature beyond that at the current rate.

excuse me??
I ve been using Siri in Swedish on Apple TV since last October....

Reactions: Lancetx and CarlJ
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
tvOS 10 will be replaced with tvOS 11, the next-generation version of the tvOS operating system, this fall. For that reason, tvOS 10.2.2 may be one of the last updates to tvOS 10.
I am really hoping for more support for the TV app, and SSO.

The idea of the TV app is good, but the implementation of it really sucks. For me, not having Netflix support makes the TV app kind of pointless. Also, maybe quick switchable profiles might improve it.

The idea behind the TV app is good, but the finish product is basically crap. If the major apps don't support it, then what is the point? Kind of like SSO.

Comment

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am really hoping for more support for the TV app, and SSO.

The idea of the TV app is good, but the implementation of it really sucks. For me, not having Netflix support makes the TV app kind of pointless. Also, maybe quick switchable profiles might improve it.

The idea behind the TV app is good, but the finish product is basically crap. If the major apps don't support it, then what is the point? Kind of like SSO.

That’s on Netflix to be included. They didn’t want to be. The problem with the TV app is you cannot implement features that ppl want, if these companies don’t cooperate.

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
That’s on Netflix to be included. They didn’t want to be. The problem with the TV app is you cannot implement features that ppl want, if these companies don’t cooperate.

I am not disagreeing with you on who is at fault for the lack of participation of the TV app and SSO, but ultimately it is Apple's device, and their failure to bring support for these type of things.

Hopefully, the ATV5 will correct many of the mistakes Apple made with ATV4.

I am still waiting for the revolutionary experience Apple promised us back in 2015, because my experience so far is a device that does a little bit more than the ATV3, only with apps that have horrible UI.

Reactions: foxcub6
Comment

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Thanks for that, I was a little worried that there was a setting that I hadn't found yet and someone would tell me that I'm an idiot for not knowing I could turn it off.

Luckily only one of those happened :) I will look for that setting when I get home tonight.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for that, I was a little worried that there was a setting that I hadn't found yet and someone would tell me that I'm an idiot for not knowing I could turn it off.

Luckily only one of those happened :) I will look for that setting when I get home tonight.

No problem, just go to Remotes and Devices in Settings and it's under Home Button:

Home.jpg

Comment

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Well, I can only assume yoou are using an English Apple-ID then, because frankly, Siri isn't even enabled on my AppleTV using a Swiss Apple-ID. And no, creating a second ID and buying all my content twice is not an option.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.