Apple Releases tvOS 11.4 for 4th and 5th Generation Apple TV Models With AirPlay 2 Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 11.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 11.4 comes more than a month after the release of tvOS 11.3, an update that focused on bug fixes and small feature improvements.

tvOS 11.4 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 11.4 automatically.

[​IMG]

The tvOS 11.4 update, paired with iOS 11.4, introduces support for AirPlay 2 functionality. AirPlay 2 is designed to bring multi-room audio to the Apple ecosystem, allowing the same music to be played on multiple devices throughout the home.

tvOS 11.4 turns the Apple TV into an AirPlay 2-compatible device that's listed in the Home app for HomeKit devices. AirPlay 2 playback can be controlled through the Apple TV, through an iOS device, or using Apple's personal assistant, Siri, to play content using voice commands.

AirPlay 2 is limited to the Apple TV and the HomePod at the current time, but it will expand to additional audio devices in the future.

tvOS 11.4 also introduces performance improvements, security enhancements, and bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of tvOS 11.3.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 11.4 for 4th and 5th Generation Apple TV Models With AirPlay 2 Support

2. Paesano macrumors newbie

Paesano

3. IGI2 macrumors 6502a

IGI2

I know it's probably placebo, but I see the improvements in speed (Apple TV 4K).

4. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

How do we get the update if we are on betas? Have 15L5576a installed.

5. Blizzardman macrumors regular

Blizzardman

I'm a bit confused by what this means in terms of options while watching Apple TV. Does this mean I can watch a show on my Apple TV through my speakers via an A/V Receiver while also streaming the audio to a HomePod sitting in another room?

6. HobeSoundDarryl, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If you have a reasonably long list of your own content, could you try to "fast scroll" a list and see if they have fast scroll working again (not starting & stopping, starting & stopping)? That was such a great feature for the little while that it was allowed to work right (on the "4").

7. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

Is there actually a source for this? It'd be nice to know if they actually fixed or improved anything useful, because otherwise I'm not updating. And I'm not about to update just to see. I'm sure they included security patches, but we always get this same, canned note at the end of Apple updates with no information as to what "performance improvements" or "bug fixes" (if any) were actually made.

8. Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

Done update to 11.4, beside the music anywhere mentioned in what is new.

So far not detect any differences with 11.3

9. HobeSoundDarryl, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Post update: Fast Scroll still starts & stops, starts & stops for me, even when I hook the :apple:TV4K to only a 1080p TV. That feature used to work so well on the "4." I suspect the issue is prioritizing loading thumbnails over fast scrolling through the list... OR the fast scroll buffer that used to be able to easily manage a list of text titles has not been updated to manage a list of thumbnails + text. :(

Maybe another "just one software update away" will finally get around to this basic functionally that USED to "just work."

10. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

I'm just here patiently waiting for that Dolby audio support.

11. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

“just one++ software update away” ;)

12. MrPengus macrumors newbie

MrPengus

Agreed need Dolby Atmos support...then this unit can seriously compete with Roku..which I can stream via the Vudu App HDR10 + Atmos on most UHD titles...got the Apple TV for Dolby Vision ...hopefully Dolby Atmos support comes with TVOS 12

13. Bswails macrumors regular

Are we supposed to see the Apple TV in the home app after updating? If so I don’t see it

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

So I asked a similar question in a different thread but no answer. Does AirPlay 2 support = Airplay AND Airplay 2 support? When I update will I still be able to stream to Airplay devices?

15. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I was having so many laggy and other issues with my ATV (4th gen.) that happened suddenly sometime after updating to 11.3, a couple weeks ago (or less), I decided to do a complete "reset & update", it was a hassle, having to re-download and arrange my apps, but, it works fine now, (and I found a couple new apps I like). When you have time to mess with it, this might fix things.

^^^I have this question also!!! ...I sometimes AirPlay from my iPad Mini (1) which cannot be updated past iOS 9.3.5, wondering if I will still be able to do this if I update my ATV (4th gen.) to tvOS 11.4.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    oh, and I still have macOS Sierra on my Mac, wondering if I'll still be able to airplay from to ATV (4) w/tvOS 11.4 also?

16. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

First impression of AirPlay 2 streaming music to a HomePod and three Apple TVs... so close. And yet...

They're just enough out of sync that it's created an "echo" effect in my home that distracting. It doesn't quite work for me for that reason.

It needs to be quiet enough that you can't hear the other speakers for it to be acceptable, which is a bummer.

For what it's worth, playing from a Mac with iTunes to AirPlay destinations (AirPlay 2 not required) has the same problem.

17. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

Wait, can I now control an Apple TV from my HomePod? I’m still rocking an ATV3 (and love the closed ecosystem), but may have to upgrade if this is the case...

18. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

One more question: When I update my iPhone to 11.4, will I still be able to AirPlay to ATV3?

Apple is so unclear about AirPlay/AirPlay 2 what way it works with what. I understand the extra features of AirPlay 2 will not work with speakers and such not compatible with it, however, what if you're just doing AirPlay from 11.4 to one device or speaker, does it have to be AirPlay 2 compatible?

19. Dean Tsanga macrumors newbie

Still waiting for these guys to fix Siri. She's so much worse right now...arghhh

20. mpainesyd, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

mpainesyd macrumors 6502a

mpainesyd

With the 11.4 update the Apple TV seems to play audio via the Homepod OK for most apps but DVBLink no longer works with the Homepod. This is not a disaster for me as the lipsync was hopeless before so I had to use a hifi but I suspect it means that other apps that are not Airplay-aware will not work with the Homepod.
    Interestingly, if I turn on my old hifi that is directly connected to the ATV then DVBlink sends audio to it, despite the ATV audio output being set to the Homepod.
    BTW - the ATV now appears in the Home app on my iPad.

21. swrobel macrumors member

swrobel

For the love of god can I please just have 4k airplay from my Mac?

22. anthonyzp macrumors member

Since 11.4 on tvOS the Apple TV seems to turn itself on randomly by itself. Anyone else? TV turns on as well.

23. Alhagar macrumors regular

This is my experience exactly. Disappointing. I hope it can be fixed in an update.

24. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

So, no one knows if I update my ATV to tvOS 11.4 if I will still be able to AirPlay (1) to it from older devices???

I'm scared to update just because of this. (...Apple has been known to break functions without telling anyone.)

25. anthonyzp macrumors member

Running two paired HomePods to Apple TV. No lag at all with sound. Very very happy. Quality sound now when watching content via Apple TV and great sound / volume too. AirPlay 2 and iOS 11.4 making this all work quite well now. Funny how Apple doesn't yet market HomePod as a wireless speaker solution for Apple TV as well as music etc... but any who, it works great...