Apple Releases tvOS 12.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 12.2, the fifth update to the tvOS 12 operating system designed for fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.2 comes more than two months after the launch of tvOS 12.1.2.

tvOS 12.2, a free update, can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.2 automatically.

[​IMG]

tvOS 12.2, when paired with iOS 12.2, is designed to allow users to ask Siri to play specific media on an Apple TV from an iOS device. You can, for example, ask Siri to play Modern Family on the TV in the living room, or Pitch Perfect on the TV in the bedroom. This feature is available for music, TV shows, and movies.

No other new features were discovered during the tvOS 12.2 beta testing period, and because Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, it is difficult to determine what else might be new in the operating system.

tvOS updates are often minor in scale, however, so the update may primarily focus on bug fixes and other small changes rather than major new features.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

2. m11rphy macrumors 6502

m11rphy

Can you ask HomePod to play a show on Apple TV?

3. dylanlive macrumors member

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

My god, how can Apple keep up this breakneck pace of innovation?

5. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

Has the TV app been updated? Apparently not through this tvOS update.

6. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

7. kendo88 macrumors regular

I cannot see the option to change volume from my iPhone?

8. Gsmaniac macrumors member

Yeah this feature has been around a while

Sadly in Nz I cannot ask HomePod to play a movie or tv show on ATV, only music. How annoying.

9. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

You can use the iPhone's volume buttons, when the Remote app is opened, or there are now 2 narrow volume buttons that show up at the bottom of the media control box (or whatever it's called) on the lock screen. For the latter, something needs to be playing on the ATV.

10. Mausse macrumors member

Is iT safe to buy now? Or are we expecting a refresh??

11. kendo88 macrumors regular

Volume buttons just change my iPhone volume, and I can’t see any controls apart from a greyed out volume slider. Unless I am missing something very obvious

Attached Files:

12. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

You have to have the Apple TV remote control panel open and active, then hit the volume buttons. At least that’s how it works pre 12.2

13. kendo88 macrumors regular

As in my second screenshot, the Apple TV remote is open on the screen, and I’ve pressed a volume key, and it’s changing the volume of my iPhone

14. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Maybe this is only available when the ATV is connected to a tv or receiver that is HDMI-CEC capable? Sorry, not sure. Mine is connected to a receiver with HDMI-CEC.

15. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

********. I ask Siri on my iPhone to play a movie on Apple TV and nothing happens, the dumb b**** makes a google search instead. Is this happening to anyone else?

16. km_00 macrumors newbie

I tried that first thing! But unfortunately no it doesn’t it just plays music (if any) on the tv you say!

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Your phone needs a way to talk to your TV. More than likely your TV is using a infrared remote. You do not have infrared on your iPhone.

See post 14 for further clarification.

18. jetison macrumors member

jetison

So, I tried to use Siri to play content and all I got was " I'm sorry, this is not available in your region". No TV app, no Siri, and I still have to set the HomePod as the audio output EVERY SINGLE TIME. I mean, thank you, next.

19. Solver macrumors 6502a

Every time, I try to turn up the volume, I get, I can’t do that right now, please try again in a bit.

But one time, from my Apple Watch no-less, I got, nothing is playing right now. (Confirmed)

I played something on the TV and got what sounded like the TV volume going up. (Unconfirmed)

So far, have not been able to reproduce.

iOS 12.2 released, watchOS 5.2 beta 6, tvOS 5.2 beta 6.

20. kendo88 macrumors regular

Yeah that will be it. CEC is disabled on my TV, my Apple TV remote changes volume via infra red. Could look in to turning CEC back on, but I have it off for a reason, feel it was something to do with it conflicting with my harmony remote and activities. It’s not a big thing to miss out on, the Apple TV remote is always there

21. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Yes, HDMI-CEC is required.

22. RWil85, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

RWil85 macrumors 6502a

This has already proven to be a frustrating experience to say the least.

Does this really not work via HomePod? ::facepalm::

Also, the fact that the ATV remote in control center takes up the entire screen instead of just being an overlay adds a button press, I believe. (Swipe it away and then swipe control center away vs. swiping the remote overlay away and back to what you’re doing - annoying)

23. Johnsond macrumors newbie

Johnsond

I’ve tried to use Siri on my phone but it says sorry I couldn’t find any TVs nearby.
    I’ve done all my updates , has anyone else had this issue ?

24. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

You have always been able to do this. When the Remote app is opened, your iPhone’s volume buttons controlled the TV volume or AppleTV connected Bluetooth speakers.

25. BeachDuc macrumors member

BeachDuc

Yup. Me too