Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 14.2, the third update to the tvOS 14 operating system that was released on September 16. tvOS 14.2 comes a month after the release of tvOS 14.0.2, a bug fix update.

appletv4k.jpg

tvOS 14.2, which is a free update, can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌ by going to System > Software Update. ‌‌Apple TV‌‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 14.2 automatically.

Apple does not provide detailed release notes for its tvOS updates, so we may not be able to determine what's new in the software. Apple provides tvOS notes through a tvOS support document, but information is often limited, and there were no new features that were discovered during the beta testing process.

The main ‌tvOS 14‌ update introduced Picture in Picture outside of the ‌Apple TV‌ app, introduced audio sharing features for connecting two sets of AirPods or Beats, added new HomeKit capabilities, and expanded game controller support and multiuser gaming options. For more on ‌tvOS 14‌, check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 14.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV Models

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
AppleTV app still a buggy embarrassment.

Large libraries still do not load. Boxsets do not work properly. Etc. etc.

I guess Apple doesn’t want customers who spend a lot of money with them in services. Well, time to migrate to Movies Anywhere and start canceling subscriptions. It’s been two years of waiting for them to fix these issues, and clearly they have no intention to delivering a quality product, just a pervasive one. The Microsoft strategy, now for Apple Services.

Such a shame.

PassingbyToday

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020

I guess Apple doesn’t want customers who spend a lot of money with them in services. Well, time to migrate to Movies Anywhere and start canceling subscriptions. It’s been two years of waiting for them to fix these issues, and clearly they have no intention to delivering a quality product, just a pervasive one. The Microsoft strategy, now for Apple Services.

Such a shame.
You realize this post is about tvOS and not the AppleTV app.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003

Such a shame.
I don't have this experience at all. While some apps are buggier than others, that's down to the developers who create them — apple's apps seem to work just fine for me. I have the 4th-Gen (non-4K) version.

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
It's now no longer possible to choose speaker output via the "Video and Audio" settings. How do I set HomePod as my speakers now?

Reactions: dabotsonline

FierceCorgi

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
It's now no longer possible to choose speaker output via the "Video and Audio" settings. How do I set HomePod as my speakers now?

I usually use the control center menu from the long-press on the home button on the remote - there is an Airplay button there that allows you to select the HomePods to use. It is odd that they removed that other option though.

shuttaman

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Yeah I can put my Homepods as the default audio output but now I can’t even play nothing from my tv speakers(that are connected to 2 iPod hi-fi now) THIS KINDA SUCKS
AND I CANT EVEN SELECT MY HOMEPODS AS ANOTHER SOURCE OF AUDIO IF I DECIDE TO STAY WITH THE TV OUTPUT

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Didn't update yet but can't you hold the Play/Pause button and select the audio output speakers?
This doesn't work in the YouTube app at least.

I usually use the control center menu from the long-press on the home button on the remote - there is an Airplay button there that allows you to select the HomePods to use. It is odd that they removed that other option though.
I had no idea this menu even existed, but I can confirm this does work, thank you so much!

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

jimac

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2005
The scrolling on my Apple TV is all backwards, or worse, on my AppleTV4K after I upgraded to Apple tvOS 14.2. The best way to get to System Preferences is by using Siri! I've still got a MacBook Air running Mac OS 10.6.8 with the old Macintosh scrolling directions in addition to Macs and iOS devices scrolling the "NEWer" way, and still I haven't got a clue how to navigate the home screen in tvOS 14.2!

Sometimes the cursor jumps all the way to the right column on the home screen, but I can't figure out how to replicate that.

I just used Siri to "Go to Restart" while I was in System Preferences and tvOS 14.2 instantly restarted. It's just as screwed up after the restart.

Well, at least the Screen Saver starts the old way...

I just clicked on Movies and the cursor started moving in the right directions there. And then when I went back to the home screen EVERYTHING IS NOW RUNNING PERFECTLY! And very fast! I've got hundreds of Apps and thousands of iTunes Movies, TV Shows, music etc. Most of the Apps I've tried are working very nice. Udemy still doesn't work, but it hasn't run since tvOS 14.

Reactions: dabotsonline

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
Yeah I can put my Homepods as the default audio output but now I can’t even play nothing from my tv speakers(that are connected to 2 iPod hi-fi now) THIS KINDA SUCKS
AND I CANT EVEN SELECT MY HOMEPODS AS ANOTHER SOURCE OF AUDIO IF I DECIDE TO STAY WITH THE TV OUTPUT
Sure you can. Turn off the HomePod as default and use Airplay audio.

Reactions: shuttaman

shuttaman

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Sure you can. Turn off the HomePod as default and use Airplay audio.
Yeah It worked after restarting it but will I still benefit from the home theater mode through this or not?
Because if not this will make it still suck 😅

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Yeah It worked after restarting it but will I still benefit from the home theater mode through this or not?
Because if not this will make it still suck 😅
Any news on what the atmos home revere mode is like? Really interested in trying it and have had no sue for homepods till now.

FierceCorgi

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
You need to try it in the home screen, it won't work when you are using an app.

It definitely works for me from within YouTube, whether watching a video or browsing. It also works in other apps like Spectrum and it seems to work from within various games I have also. I mostly use it to put AppleTV to sleep (which also shuts down the TV and receiver over HDMI).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.