Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 15.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS operating system that first launched in September 2021. tvOS 15.4 comes less than two months after the launch of tvOS 15.3.

Apple-TV-tvOS-15-Feature.jpg

tvOS 15.4 can be downloaded over the air on the Apple TV through the Settings app by going to System > Software Update. ‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 15.4 automatically.

Apple's tvOS updates are typically more minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes, performance updates, and small tweaks rather than major outward-facing changes, but there are a couple changes in tvOS 15.4.

The update adds support for captive Wi-Fi networks, which means that an iPhone or iPad can be used to connect your Apple TV to networks that require additional sign-in steps, such as in hotel rooms.

tvOS 15.4 introduces an "Up Next" queue directly to the video player to make it easier to get from show to show when you're watching television, plus it includes a new volume button that's accessible from the video player, plus "Tap to Navigate" has returned as an accessibility option and spatial audio controls have also been redesigned.

tvOS 15.4 also allows you to complete a purchase on the Apple TV using an Apple Watch, and adds the ability to display HomeKit cameras in Picture in Picture mode while watching TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 15.4 With Support for Captive WiFi Networks

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I’ll test this out, I’ve had real trouble with Netflix playing in my new 4K Apple TV I got for Christmas.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The update adds support for captive Wi-Fi networks, which means that an iPhone or iPad can be used to connect your Apple TV to networks that require additional sign-in steps, such as in hotel rooms.

This is really nice, though a bit late for me as I ended up buying an Amazon FireTV 4K stick for travel since it can do the same (on the device).

Reactions: mi7chy

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
For people who bring their Apple TV to a hotel room? ;-)

I've wanted to do so, but the lack of captive Wi-Fi support has precluded it. Yes, I can call the Front Desk and hope they can connect me with a hotel tech person who can add my AppleTV's MAC address so it will work on their network, but it was far easier to just use the FireTV 4K stick.

Reactions: CarlJ

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
This is really nice, though a bit late for me as I ended up buying an Amazon FireTV 4K stick for travel since it can do the same (on the device).
Yep. I have 2 Roku sticks because of this. I tried my Apple TV at a hotel and was very frustrated that the Roku stick worked but the Atv not, so bought a second roku for the next trip.

josduc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
Pro tip: After this update my Apple TV would not load the settings app and the long press to reveal the right lateral menu also didn't work. Not even after a reboot.

The fix is to pull out the power cord and wait a few seconds. Quality job from Apple!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’ll test this out, I’ve had real trouble with Netflix playing in my new 4K Apple TV I got for Christmas.

The WiFi network can be a factor. To determine that, try connecting to an Ethernet cable instead of using WiFi. If you notice a difference, then the WiFi network is the culprit, not the Apple TV itself.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pro tip: After this update my Apple TV would not load the settings app and the long press to reveal the right lateral menu also didn't work. Not even after a reboot.

The fix is to pull out the power cord and wait a few seconds. Quality job from Apple!

Quality job on assuming that everybody will have this problem and that it's a quality-control problem! ?

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Has anyone actually seen the documentation for captive wifi connection?

I see the tvOS user guide on the Apple site is for tvOS 15.2, about time they updated I think.

I’ve searched as want to make sure it will be suitable for my trip in a few weeks.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
For people who bring their Apple TV to a hotel room? ;-)
I'll say the same thing I said to similar comments on the HomePodOS thread - it'll find a lot of use on university/college campus residence hall ("dorm") networks ("ResNet" networks). And that means you can sell a lot of $150-$180 devices to parents to give to their kids going away to college for the first time.

Reactions: tooloud10

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA

Apple today released tvOS 15.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS operating system that first launched in September 2021. tvOS 15.4 comes less than two months after the launch of tvOS 15.3.

Apple-TV-tvOS-15-Feature.jpg

tvOS 15.4 can be downloaded over the air on the Apple TV through the Settings app by going to System > Software Update. ‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 15.4 automatically.

Apple's tvOS updates are typically more minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes, performance updates, and small tweaks rather than major outward-facing changes, but there are a couple changes in tvOS 15.4.

tvOS 15.4 introduces an "Up Next" queue directly to the video player to make it easier to get from show to show when you're watching television, plus it includes a new volume button that's accessible from the video player, plus "Tap to Navigate" has returned as an accessibility option and spatial audio controls have also been redesigned.

tvOS 15.4 also allows you to complete a purchase on the Apple TV using an Apple Watch, and adds the ability to display HomeKit cameras in Picture in Picture mode while watching TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 15.4 With Support for Captive WiFi Networks
I got a Roku because when I travel I couldn't use the Apple TV to get onto a Hotel server. Having this update for the Apple TV feels like the first major update in years. Maybe Apple is actually taking the Apple TV side fo the business seriously.

Reactions: George Dawes

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ive done this many times. Particularly works well for Airbnb/VRBO, too.
Same here. In fact, dealing with captive portals was the last hurdle to making the ATV a perfect travel companion for watching media. Nothing beats having your own device with your own streaming logins/etc. when you're at a hotel. Not to mention most hotel TV systems SUCK or aren't subscribed to stuff you want to watch.

Of course I'll have to see how it works next time I travel. I can't find information anywhere and it's not like I have a captive portal wifi available at home to test with.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Why not just give Apple TV a browser like the Amazon Fire TV devices?

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
I can confirm this works with wpa2 Enterprise so welcome to all students relying on wifi provided by Eduroam. PS; I realice wpa2 enterprise isn't exactly a captive portal but I seem to remember this setup not being supported last time I checked (might be mistaken tho), so just thought I'd share

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CarlJ

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why not just give Apple TV a browser like the Amazon Fire TV devices?
Apple has always been steadfastly against this for some reason. It's to the point that web browser apps aren't even allowed to be submitted to the App Store for tvOS.

Notice that even with this change, you authenticate on your phone, not the ATV itself. Apple REALLY doesn't want you to load web pages on tvOS.

Reactions: sydneysider88

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013

I did not have these issues after installing tvOS 15.4 on my ATV 4K 2017. It did take a lot longer to install 15.4 than other recent updates though, and it required several reboots that were done by the update itself. Perhaps you jumped the gun before it was completely installed. Apple never has had good on screen prompts for updates on any of its devices, so it is best not to even touch them until you are sure the updates are completely installed and ready to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.