Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 15.5.1, a minor update to the tvOS operating system that first launched in September 2021. tvOS 15.5.1 comes about 10 days after the launch of tvOS 15.5.

apple-tv-4k-design-green.jpg

tvOS 15.5.1 can be downloaded over the air on the Apple TV through the Settings app by going to System > Software Update. ‌‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 15.5.1 automatically.

Apple's tvOS updates are typically more minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes, performance updates, and small tweaks rather than major outward-facing changes.

Apple does not offer detailed release notes for its tvOS updates, but the company does offer some tvOS information through the tvOS support document. According to the support document, the update addresses an issue where music could stop playing after a short time.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 15.5.1 for Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K

Last edited:
Reactions: sydneysider88

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
There is a major bug with CNN constantly signing me out (signed in via subscription to Directv). I hope this fixes that problem.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I got an ipsw notification that iOS 15.5.1 is also out. Not seeing any sites posting it yet...

Haven't been able to pick up iOS or tvOS 15.5.1 so far on any devices.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
15.5 didn't fix the pops and audio failures of some Dolby Atmos tracks for me, hopefully this does.
If that doesn't fix it you can always try the tvOS 15.6 beta, and see if that's something that might have been worked on. As others point out there is little as far as documentation with these releases.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
3 persistent bugs that probably aren't fixed on this build:
  1. Computers app: buffering is flaky, even with very fast local Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
  2. TV app: the Library tab with lots of purchased contents takes forever to load
  3. Match Dynamic Range: Photos and Screen Saver do not support Match Dynamic Range setting.

Vyse2020

Suspended
Jul 2, 2020
My original Apple TV 4K has been freezing half the time when I go to wake it/change sources to it for the past month or so and I have to unplug the power to resolve it. I hope this fixes it

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
15.6 beta doesnt fix the Atmos dropouts on wired ethernet - this wont either.

We need a direct line to Apple on this.
If that is the case we need to see what has been redone for tvOS 16 in less than 2 weeks at WWDC. In the iOS 16 thread I been suggesting the cutoff for it is based on RAM and the BT version. So my guess was we see older products that have only 2 GB RAM and BT 4.2 would be cut.
  • Apple TV HD (4th generation): 2 GB
  • Apple TV 4K (5th generation): 3GB
  • Apple TV 4K (6th generation): 4GB.
The Apple TV app library issue might just be because it runs out of memory because tvOS is using an older app.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple has released tvOS 15.5.1 and HomePod Software 15.5.1 to the public with bug fixes and to address an issue where music could stop playing after a short time.
Being that both tvOS and HomePodOS is 24/7 operation, likely the same music fix applied to both.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
What Atmos dropouts? I haven’t experienced dropouts with Atmos on my original 4K
Atmos audio randomly goes mute for about 1-2 seconds, then recovers and continues on. Doesn't happen very often (approx every 10-15 minutes) but it's very annoying when it happens. Netflix is the worst offender but I've seen it happen on Disney+ and Apple TV+ streams once in a while. (latest ATV model)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So effffing tired of these .1 updates soon after a new release. Every damn time. Get it right the FIRST time, Apple.

• Disagree
Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.